1 2 3
Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
9/7/18 9:14 a.m.

I guess I’m the oddball that likes stuff like deathwish and black rifle coffee?

Oh well I never was one to completely toe the same line....

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
9/7/18 10:09 a.m.
sleepyhead said:
Toyman01 said:

This is what I drink at home. I've had a hard time finding it in the States lately. The last order came out of England. 

Instant!?

gonna switch back over to whole bean now that the grinder is here.  Had been using Wegman's Colombian while I was in NoVa.

I would not be surprised if the Aldi house brand is Jacobs, at least the vacuum packed ones.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/7/18 10:29 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

The Bustelo is bueno.  I wasn't sure after my first cup this morning, but I just made another on the small size on the Keurig, and it was quite drinkable.  Even on sale, the Bustelo K-cups exceeded my usual $.50 per cup maximum expense, but in this case I was willing to make an exception. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
9/7/18 10:43 a.m.

I blame this thread for my accidentally buying a pouch of Jacobs instant.

for some reason the "around the corner" market has instant, and ground coffee... and 1 brand of whole bean.  But, crucially, no filters.  At all.

Fortunately, I can now tell you why I don't like instant... or at least Jacobs instant: body and aroma.  There just isn't any body, and the aroma... I can't place it, but it doesn't smell like coffee to me.  It's coffee flavored water, and with the green Jacobs pack, it comes out with a burnt middle-of-the-tongue flavor.  I think the gold is more mild flavor-wise, but still has the lack of body, and same odd aroma thing.

Not to knock Toyman01's taste.  To each their own.  I understand that my own taste isn't for everyone... Afterall, coffe making is just one in another litany of differences I have with sleepywife's father.  cheeky

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/7/18 11:12 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

I drink deathwish at certain times, usually around the holidays and deer season when I feel like the extra caffeine helps. 

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
9/7/18 11:32 a.m.
dropstep said:
Ranger50 said:

I drink deathwish at certain times, usually around the holidays and deer season when I feel like the extra caffeine helps. 

I love Deathwish but can't justify buying it more than once or twice a year. It's expensive, but man is it good

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/7/18 12:17 p.m.

Best ever use for instant coffee is as a developer for film:

http://www.caffenol-cookbook.com/

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
9/7/18 12:23 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

I once drank an entire 16 cup pot of Death Wish coffee in font of my junior mechanics on a slow morning of work. They were convinced I was going to die, then I made a pot of CoffeeAM Mocha Java to wash it down.

I really miss WinCo's fresh whole bean selection. That place was great when I was living in SoCal.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
9/7/18 7:33 p.m.

So, I think coffee is like politics, everybody has an opinion on what they prefer. Except, on this thread, fortunately, we can freely speak our opinion and don't have to worry about being banished to hades. I happen to agree with RevRico on the Eight O'Clock dark Italian roast flavor. I think I'm safe on that opinionwink.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/7/18 7:52 p.m.

In reply to Gary :

Can we safely say the 8 O'clock Brand is a loadstar?  devil

Gary
Gary SuperDork
9/7/18 7:56 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Hesitantly, perhaps yes.smiley

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/8/18 12:47 p.m.
Gary said:

So, I think coffee is like politics, everybody has an opinion on what they prefer. Except, on this thread, fortunately, we can freely speak our opinion and don't have to worry about being banished to hades. I happen to agree with RevRico on the Eight O'Clock dark Italian roast flavor. I think I'm safe on that opinionwink.

Communist!  cheeky

Mike
Mike SuperDork
9/8/18 2:20 p.m.

I used to make pod coffee, and even still have the machine, but I can't find pods anymore. 

I don't know how k-cups won. I really dislike them as a format.

I drink far more coffee now that I have a commute. Lots of Community, since that's what work provides.

On the weekend, it's Folgers Crystals, till I decide what I want in a machine. 

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
9/8/18 10:34 p.m.

In reply to secretariata :

Aw, didn't know their web price was different from the walk-in price... but yah you will like it.

erasmus229
erasmus229 Reader
9/9/18 6:56 a.m.

We do whatever whole bean is on sale or best deal at Costco. I think I heard they were all really sub brands run through the Starbucks roaster out west. I find the whole bean often renders best taste out of cheaper beans. +1 for Cafe Bustello. We enjoy it as well with our stove top espresso deal and keep a can around for camping. 

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
dABNzt7A2QgHv8SP4XVBXzsk1o0NuAJ1k9TX9ZMVqN3w54yQRabKSvVsc6QZ3w7I