1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
gearheadmb Reader
5/18/15 11:48 a.m.

I plan to get out for the first time this year with my 6 yo son this week. He is nuts for fishing. We will try to get a few large mouth out of grandpas pond.

Spinout007 UltraDork
5/19/15 4:15 p.m.

It's that time of year again, the stupid big hard fighting fish are just off shore near here. Lucky me with no boat to chase them with. BUT I thought I would share a story. Original can be found here.

For those who don't want to dig through another forum, and it's responses...

Fisherman who won't be named said:

After cleaning up from the 4th of July block party Monday morning, one of my neighbors and I twisted each others arms for about 5 seconds and headed to the LH for a short fishing trip. I should know better but I had a half a tank of gas leftover from St. Joe Bay, “cuz you know gas won’t keep”. Works for me.

Got in about 4’ of grass and caught some pins. Headed out to spotty bottom in 6-7’. Set a very slow drift with surecatches and a live pin on 60 yds of 25lb test off the back. Caught 2 shorts pretty quickly. 20 minutes later something big starts bothering the pin, float is jumping around, no pull on the line.

Let me stop here and tell you that my fishing buddy this day is more experienced than I am. He has caught many fish in many different parts of both North and Central America. He has caught just about every fish that is native to our parts. He is a local and goes fishing frequently. Trustworthy, smart, knowlegable, heart of gold, and good company. He lurks here from time to time so I will protect his identity.

Well, float goes under, still no pull on the line. Must be a shark or Cobia. I am tempted to set the hook, but I wait. Float comes back up. No movement. I figure it is gone, count to sixty, pull in the slack, give the rod a short twitch and zoom. Thing runs from 12:00 to 2:30 in a NY minute. If this is a cobia, he is playing with me. Keep telling myself not to set the hook, I have been here before. I get encouragement from my neighbor. Float pops up for about 20 seconds, goes under again. Oh man this thing is playing with me! Line goes completely slack, no float. Break off? Did I tie it right? Have I got the right hook? The right leader? Start reeling the slack line in, get about 30 yards in and the float pops up, ala Jaws.

Tell myself it is gone when the line goes tight then slack then tight and finally goes slack again. Float pops up from 3:00 and goes fast across the bow to 7:30 on the other side, screams out about 100 yds and stays tight. I am about in a cold sweat, I am 20 minutes into this. Look to my buddy, he is all smiles. Tell him its now or never. He says go for it, what have you got to lose? I give the tight rod a quick drop and tighten to set the hook. I am prepared to feel nothing on the other end. Yank the rod up, had to have set it, had to have. Sure enough, one angry fish. Hook appears to be set. Screaming drag, running left, right, close, far. Shoot, I should have peed before we left. .Question knot tying and leader material again. Question my bladder control. Arms already tired but adrenaline is rushing. Buddy says its set, hope he is right.

Another 15 minutes of the previously described antics and it finally gets close to the boat. It’s a Cobia. Not sure how big, but bigger than 33”. I think he kinda rolled sideways for a glance as if to say, “not today my friend”. Takes off about 50 yards and we play some more. I mention to my buddy about my leader and hook worries. Explain to him how I tied it. He says don’t worry. I get the fish back to the boat pretty quick this time. It takes off again. Get it back to the boat again. We agree that the fish is tiring, but do not agree to the extent of its tiredness. Takes off again during this discussion. Buddy grabs the gaff and says it is getting late. Says he thought he heard thunder. Asks how my bladder is holding up. I call him a smartass.

I get him to the boat again, buddy says he is ready to gaff him. I say he is green. Buddy says not that green. I say five minutes, buddy says ok, but he thinks he is ready. Five minutes pass, get the cobia alongside the boat, he is about 40”. Still thrashing some. I ask buddy if he is ready. Buddy says yes. I say ”I want to give him 5 more minutes”. Just as I say the word “more” he is gaffed and in the boat at my feet. Perfect. Lands right between the console and the gunwale. I did not have time to enjoy the moment. This thing was beyond green. The maddest fish I ever saw. And so begins “Dumb and Dumber III”.

I hope you get a good mental picture what follows. It all happens in a flash. It is really noisy, like girl scouts screaming in reaction to boys or cooties or cockroaches. I drop the rod behind me and throw myself on the fish. The line comes off the hook. I put my hand over its exposed gill plate to hold it down. I have my torso in parallel to the length of its body. I am on top of the fish. (Reminds me of my teenage years.) The fish is 40” easy, I am 66”. Well I could not get my feet or knees on this things tail. In between about number 100 and 120 of the hard tail smacks to the nuticles; I holler to my buddy to get the little Louisville slugger in the forward hold. My gut is killing me. Didn’t do my bladder much good either. I am wet. I am slimy, I am sweaty, smelly, gilly and somehow happy. Man are the boys killing me. This fish is still going nuts(literally).

My buddy says “I have it, watch out”. I have complete confidence in my partner. He is an experienced fisherman. He moves in for the stunning blow. WHAM! Perfect delivery. I now have two broken fingers on my right hand, never really felt it, my groin hurt worse, the moment and all. Buddy says, “oh man, sorry!”. I say “its allright, f it, hit him, quick!”. Buddy reels back again, not so hard this time. WHAM! Bingo this time he manages the perfect shot to the back of the head. My head. Felt that one. Thought it was lightning. Things go black then I see stars for a moment. Faintly hear my buddy say “oh, man! Sorry!”. I say “ Hit the Fish this time!” He does, three quick and successfully harder raps to the head of the cobia. Cobia is still. I roll off. Turn myself over and slowly get to my hands and knees. Despite the groin, the fingers, and back of the head I look to the left at the fish and smile, just beautiful. I crawl to the platform at the front of the boat. I can’t look at my buddy. I feel like puking. I sit down. My buddy is still apologizing. I giggle. Must be the blow to the head. He drops the bat, but not near me. I begin to look for the bimini cover and vests and heavy stuff to cover this fish with. Neighbor probably envisions tomorrows headlines “Man Deliberately Thrown Overboard by Neighbor”.

Believe EVERYTHING people tell you about Cobia. If you catch a cobia and are going to KEEP IT, take this advice first and foremost. When you get it in the boat – cover it with a blanket and beat the ever living snot out of it. When you think you have beat it enough – beat it again. This fish revived and started thrashing again, up, once midway up against the console and out of the boat. My buddy was in shock. I was too dazed to respond immediately. I leaned over to the edge of the boat along with my partner and looked down in the water. That Cobia was three feet from the side of the boat. Again, he rolled sideways a little as if to say ”Not today my friend…” and slowly swam away.

Doctor says I will be fine. He thinks I ain’t right, but thinks I will be fine. Had to stay up all last night, concussion and stuff. And I will be back with a blanket, an aluminum bat, a sap, some brass knuckles, a Sumo wrestler, etc. I have to get some sleep.

Take a minute to breathe....

Next day follow up with the doc. said:

Well folks, I am feeling much better today. Typing is a little bit of a challenge. Using word and cut and paste to get this at least phonetically correct.

Another funny thing happened today. My doctors nurse called just before lunch. Nice lady. She wanted to see how I felt and how I was doing. A sort of follow up, she said.

“Are you having any headaches?”

“No, but the back of my head is still sore, and I certainly can’t lie on my back.”

“How is your vision Mr. D? Any blurriness, tunnel vision?

“No Ma’am, just the typical over 40 wackiness.”

“Any back pain? Pain in your extremeties?”

“No Ma’am, my fingers are stiff, but they don’t really hurt, I think it’s the splints and bandages.”

“Any abdominal Pain or discomfort? Difficulty urinating or having a bowel movement?”

“No Ma’am, that’s all feeling much better, though it does feel funny if I sit the wrong way.”

“Well Dr. **** would like you to come in for a follow up at 1:45, can you make it?”

“Sure, I will be there.”

Imagine that, a doctor asking ME to come see HIM. I am a little taken aback, but I think maybe this was more serious than I thought. I mean I have had concussions before, tree climbing, riding bikes, the pickaxe fight and riding car hoods off Tram Road. I never had a follow up before. (probably why I am the way I am)

So I get to the office on time. Nobody else waiting. Cool. This will be quick. I can get back to work. Maybe take a nap. I sign in and don’t get a chance to sit down in the waiting room. Nurse Michelle takes me immediately to Exam Room #2. She takes my BP, pulse, temperature. She asks me all the same questions again. I answer them all pretty much the same. Nurse Michelle says “OK Mr. D, Dr. * will be in in a moment. One moment later there is Dr. * in the door.

Now Dr. * has never had the greatest bedside manner. Sure, he smiles sometimes. He takes his doctoring very, very seriously, and I like that. Never heard him laugh or show any other emotion, even when I told my best or worse joke. He goes straight to my chart and says without looking at me, “Hello *, how are you feeling today?” He asks pretty much the same questions as Nurse Michelle who walks back in the room halfway through the interrogation. I give the same answers again. Thinking to myself this is beginning to get old. He asks again about my vision, and then about my hearing, no problem I say.

Dr. * says he would like to get his partner Dr. to come in and assist with the physical exam, says I won’t mind. OK, no problem I say, thinking whatever I can do to help further medical knowledge and experience would be the right thing to do. I am wondering if Dr. has some minor degree in neurology or psychology. Nurse Michelle leaves to get Dr. . Dr. * continues to read my chart and is putting on gloves. Nurse Michelle returns with the physicians assistant, *, PA.(pssst-we don’t call them doctors). We exchange pleasantries, he is a really nice guy. Has a beard, is young, easy going. Dr. *** walks in a moment later. Says hello, I say Hello.

Dr. * says”, you have met my partner, Dr. ***. My Doctor says to his partner “Mr. D came in yesterday with a contusion on the anterior cranium, fractures in the third and fourth proximal phalanx(fingers), and severe bruising in the pecutinial regions and testes. , would you tell him what happened to you on Monday?”

So I give the low down, like I did in the previous post up until the part where I jumped on the fish. I looked at everyone in the room, to make sure that they were still paying attention, because I really dig hooking up a big fish and I hoped they were into it as well. Nurse Michelle was leaning back against the door, my Dr. * was closer to me leaning against the counter by the sink. the PA was directly behind me leaning on the table I was sitting on, the other Dr. *** was standing directly in front of me. Dr. ** says he wants to look at the back of my head. I say sure. He digs through my balding pate and looks at and presses the dissipating goose egg on the back of my head. He has me put my head up and follow the light around the room. Looks in my eyes, the whole gig.

Dr. *** ask me to tell him what happened after the fish was in the boat. You folks here know the drill from before so I won’t repeat it. I looked down at my hands and knees and were telling them - Beat repeatedly in the crotch, walloped in the hand with a mini Louisville Slugger – then I noticed that something in the room changed I thought the AC had come on, a vibration maybe, so I paused in my description. I did not notice any more air movement or notice any AC hum. Then I thought maybe the heater was on in the table I was sitting on, maybe they were trying some therapy on the boys. Nope, didn’t feel any warmer. Then I heard this squeaking sound. I looked at my doctor and he was stoned faced as usual, Nurse Michelle had a little smile on her face. Dr. *** was as red faced as can be. I turn around and the PA behind me has his hand over his bearded red face struggling to breathe through muffled laughter and tears, shaking the table in the process. I put my hand on his shoulder and said “It’s OK, laugh, if you can’t laugh at yours or others stupidity then there is no purpose in going on”.

Everyone in the room starts laughing out loud. My doctor says to continue. His partner asks incredulously, “There is more? Oh yes, the cranial contusion! Go on!”

So I described the whack in the back of the head, the nausea, the exhaustion, the one that got away. They laughed like crazy and so did I. Nurse Michelle was now crying. She has a really big mouth with a beautiful full laugh. They looked at my fingers, asking more about the event. They did ask to briefly see the groin area. They were very serious then, it is a blueish green today. I think the men appreciated the impact zone and its condition. A little wincing in the room.

They gave me a clean bill of health, a good prognosis for recovery, thanks for being a sport, and giving them the best laugh they have had in a long time. You know, I think my doctor may be coming out of his shell a little.

Brett_Murphy PowerDork
5/27/15 2:27 p.m.

I might actually get to go inshore fishing for half a day this Saturday. Wooo!

Spinout007 UltraDork
5/28/15 12:48 p.m.

Jelly.... Getting hot enough around here where you don't catch anything but stingray and catfish after 11 or so.

Brett_Murphy PowerDork
5/31/15 11:28 p.m.

I only got to fish for about 30 minutes on the beach and got a small blue. The waves and wind were making it tough, plus I was trying to keep an ene on the kids. Then, I took about five casts on "The Rocks" at Ft. Fisher.

Good enough for a snapper blue and a decent flounder. If I was out in the kayak I would have killed them.

NOHOME UltraDork
6/1/15 1:57 p.m.

I had to go look up Cobia as a sports-fish. They actually do warn not to boat a green fish due to the danger it thrashing the boat and its crew.

What is also funny is they a proclivity for keeping some fight for on-board is not uncommon! Bad ass AND smart, in a fish?!

Brett_Murphy PowerDork
6/6/15 10:01 p.m.

Got a 21" beauty today.

Spinout007 UltraDork
6/10/15 9:30 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: I had to go look up Cobia as a sports-fish. They actually do warn not to boat a green fish due to the danger it thrashing the boat and its crew. What is also funny is they a proclivity for keeping some fight for on-board is not uncommon! Bad ass AND smart, in a fish?!

I've seen them after being played for 45 min or so and looking completely wore out, death roll themselves right off the gaff and back out of the boat. Tourney guys have it down to a science, gaff them straight into the cooler and slam the lid. You can take pictures later.

22 min of fishing show/infomercial. South West FL Permit and Cobia. Reel time

Spinout007 UltraDork
6/10/15 9:31 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

NICE WORK MAN! That's a fat bucket mouth there!

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
6/10/15 12:55 p.m.

Finally got out for the first time this season yesterday, the wife and I caught our limit (8 rainbows) in a little over an hour. Delish!

T.J. UltimaDork
6/14/15 6:13 p.m.

Someone needs to come to my neighborhood and catch a shark or two.


Brett_Murphy PowerDork
6/14/15 9:01 p.m.

In reply to T.J.:

I didn't know you were down there. Chessie pinged where I often go fishing recently. She's a 12 foot, 1200 pound tiger shark.

Scottah Dork
6/17/15 3:20 p.m.

Learn me: Surf fishing. I have a Shakespeare surf/pier combo I bought a few years back but never used. Never been surf fishing, but want to go up in DE in a few weeks. The kit has a few rigs, but honestly I'm lost. What would be my easiest method to catch fish? Rigs, lures, bait? I've always hear salted squid is hard to beat, but I have no idea. Thanks.

bigdaddylee82 Dork
6/17/15 3:27 p.m.

Just got back from visiting family in AK, and did a little fishing while there.

Since the King Salmon are running we tried to catch some, but struck out. SWMBO did manage to catch a rock fish, and ling cod on a single herring though.

Since the Kings weren't having any of it, we headed to calmer water and focused on halibut.

I've tried before, but this was the first halibut I ever caught.

SWMBO got one too.

We limited out on halibut for the day.

Dad and I went back out a couple days later and he managed to get a King.

Spinout007 UltraDork
6/17/15 4:14 p.m.

There is a decent sized Great White that regularly visits the off shore area near me.

shark tracker

Sput Reader
6/17/15 9:26 p.m.

Lots of great fishing here on Cape Fear - glad to see you locals doing well at it.

Brett_Murphy PowerDork
6/18/15 12:49 p.m.
Scottah wrote: Learn me: Surf fishing.

Check with a local tackle shop, they will know the most about where you're going to fish. They will try to sell you everything, advise them you just want a few rigs to try it out. I usually use a Carolina rig with a live mullet or cut bait on it.

Here is the best tip I can give you. The waves coming into the beach will crest a bit, return to normal for a while, then break. That area after they do the first crest and before they break is going to be a channel running parallel to the beach. You want to throw you line there.

Found a video!


This article sums it up pretty well, too.


T.J. UltimaDork
7/14/15 7:11 p.m.

I gave in and bought a rod and reel today (and my fishing license). I caught 7 or 8 croakers off my dock in about 35-40 minutes. All were pretty little with the biggest may 10-11". (Some were half that). They love shrimp. I'm going to install a rod holder on my kayak and fish from it soon.

I was inspired by a real fish story. A few days ago I was out kayaking and I noticed a guy on the public dock four docks down from mine motioning frantically at me. Then I saw him climb over the fence into the backyard of the house next to the public area. Then he was out on the dock. I know the people who live there and they are in MI for the summer, but they have a house sitter and her dog staying there. I paddled over to ask him what he was up to and it turned out he asked and got permission to come over from the house sitter. He had something big on the end of his line. He was using a normal looking spinning reel but had 85# test line on it. What ever he hooked would run for a while and then hang out on the bottom motionless for a while. It went around a boat lift piling and that's why he was waving for me to come over in the kayak. I took his rod and went around the piling and then passed the rod back up to the dock to him. The thing ran over the next dock. Those folks only rarely come (it's their second home) and the neighbor on the other side saw what was going on and told him to go ahead into their yard and dock. Again the thing ran and of course went under the dock. Kayak T.J. to the rescue. Then it ran again and the guy had to go to my next door neighbor's dock. Still couldn't make much progress bring the monster in (or even to the surface to see it). It went under my neighbor's dock, so I tool the rod and paddled under the dock and passed it back to him. Then he was on my dock. It was tired and so was the guy. He had been fighting the thing for over an hour at this point. The fish didn't run anymore and it seemed like it was tiring out, but his rod was nearly bent in half trying to bring the fish to the surface. The water was only about 4-5' deep at this point so I tried to catch it in the net from the kayak, but couldn't get him. I made contact with the fish a couple times and he didn't seem to appreciate it. He went to deeper water (10-12' or so) and sat on the bottom again. Then disaster struck when the dude's rod snapped. He fought on valiantly with about half of his rod for another 10 minutes or so, neither side gaining any ground. Then after a total time of about 75-80 minutes of battling, the line broke and the fish was gone. All the man had was a broken rod and a few pictures on his cell phone a bystander took with his rod all bent for jesus.

After seeing that, I knew I had to start taking advantage of the opportunity of living on the water and get off my butt and start fishing. I'm assuming that he had hooked a ray since I've seen a few of them from my paddle board that were a good 3-4' across. What ever it was I want to catch it, if nothing else just to see what it is.

T.J. UltimaDork
7/14/15 7:12 p.m.

In reply to Sput:

Where are you from?

Sput Reader
7/14/15 7:37 p.m.
T.J. wrote: In reply to Sput: Where are you from?

Monkey Junction now. Born & raised fishing Sodus Bay & Lake Ontario. A golfer now, though.

Apis_Mellifera Reader
7/14/15 7:38 p.m.

Coming down your way in two weeks, TJ.

Bought some hooks...

T.J. UltimaDork
7/14/15 10:12 p.m.

In reply to Sput:

We're nearly neighbors then. At least in the same general area.

Brett_Murphy PowerDork
7/14/15 10:13 p.m.

Those are some serious hooks.

I picked up some 100# wire leader. After seeing a 6' blacktip devour a bluefish I returned to the water last year, I've decided I'm in the mood for some cajun shark steaks.

T.J. UltimaDork
7/14/15 10:13 p.m.

In reply to Apis_Mellifera:

Some friends of mine are down here for the week from WV. They were at the beach yesterday and a surf fisherman pulled out a 7' shark. Not sure how big the hook was though, but I'd imagine yours are big enough.

7/15/15 1:07 p.m.

Feeling ill tomorrow. Going to try a homeopathic cure.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Our Preferred Partners