1 ... 7 8 9 10
DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
9/13/14 7:58 a.m.

I can't tell from the pics, is that a CJ8? It lookalike a long wheelbase CJ, but it's not a 6. That's an early frame, I think from a flat-fender jeep and the odd pocket in the body behind the front fender.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
9/14/14 10:04 a.m.

it is a M-180 whambulance , it was used by the Crystal River Fire dept here

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
9/14/14 12:19 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: it is a M-180 whambulance , it was used by the Crystal River Fire dept here

Ahhh. I knew it was something unique. Very cool.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
10/7/14 10:14 a.m.

Cough, cough

http://classicmotorsports.net/shop

PubBurgers
PubBurgers SuperDork
10/7/14 10:28 a.m.

I tetrised some stuff and gained some floor space which I promptly filled with a dead Volvo station wagon. I'm still clearing stuff out a trash bag at a time.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/7/14 6:06 p.m.

No idea how I missed this thread, but here's the pics I just took for the contest on the CM board. I don't really have any messy pics, but it is regularly a disaster area that I can't even walk through, and then I get all manic and clean everything up for an entire Saturday... I've been rearranging this garage, building shevles, ripping them down and building ones that fit better, and stashing tools and big stuff wherever it will fit (and still occasionally allow a second car in there in a pinch). Other than lumber, I haven't actually BOUGHT any kind of garage furniture for this place (other than a couple stools) ever...it's all built from lumber, grabbed from junkyards, or leftovers from friends' renovations. My three benches are an old music studio soundboard table, an old restaurant stainless countertop (both from a junk pile), and a rollaway that I built out of mostly scrap wood.

Organizing creativity is the only way I've managed to fit half this stuff in there....I consider the garage as much of a project and challenge as the cars that I've built in it (e30, e21, GT6, and some of my WRX). Anyhow, maybe it will give you guys some ideas about how to cram a lot of crap into a normal-size garage. Currently it can fit two cars inside if needed (though one is really tight and the other is a small e21), but I have a drill press, 10-ton press, welder, engine hoist, engine stand, about 4 sets of wheels/tires, 3 usable benches, about 10 usable cabinets (plus a large metal cabinet), a small air compressor, and the entire interior of the e21 stashed away with room to spare.

all my kids old baby jars

will try to dig up a few more when I get a chance.

I don't like to cross-post, but since I'm a geek and actually have a garage "build thread" its easier if you want to look at some of my ideas to just go see that thread on GJ:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198129

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
10/7/14 6:16 p.m.

Very nice.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/7/14 7:12 p.m.

Irish, I've been meaning to ask: Can you post some details of how you mount those jars?

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/7/14 7:21 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Irish, I've been meaning to ask: Can you post some details of how you mount those jars?

take cap off. Put cap on bench vise with gap in the middle. Punch two holes in it with a nail or whatever. put the cap where you want to hang the jar. screw two screws through the middle up into the wood. Screw jar back on. You need to use two screws (or nails) so the cap doesn't spin when you put the jar back on.

Admittedly, you have to be a bit careful when taking the jar down or putting it back up....if you don't thread it right and it has heavy stuff in it, you'll end up sweeping up broken glass, lol. I've broken a few, but I have some spares in the cabinet.

My second daughter just turned two, so I don't have much longer of getting free empty jars, lol...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/7/14 7:22 p.m.

Wow, I thought you had some other system to hang them. That's so simple it hurts. Thanks.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/7/14 7:34 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Wow, I thought you had some other system to hang them. That's so simple it hurts. Thanks.

I'd love to have something awesome like rare-earth magnets holding them up or something, but I like to go the cheapest possible route to a solution, lol....

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
10/8/14 8:04 a.m.

I had a bunch hung like that but if you don't open them for awhile it seems like they freeze up and you are sweeping any jar up. I get some plastic jars from work that test strips come prepackaged in that work far better (but aren't clear).

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/11/14 10:25 p.m.

More progress this weekend....

Bike repair stand mounted. Holy crap, so useful. Wish I had gotten one of these a long time ago.  photo E75DF006-0977-4899-AB93-990CFAAA3C16_zpsok5ckuwf.jpg

Finally organized my yard tools a bit. Also very useful, wish I had done it sooner. I'm not sure I understand how tapcon screws work though, about 30-50% of the time, they don't really bite and strip out immediately.  photo 9C475E7D-A1DF-4776-BC99-633DADD09825_zpshcsccpdg.jpg

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/12/14 11:33 a.m.

Wow. Been a while since I'd seen the baby food jar trick.

My grandfather was doing that 80 years ago.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
10/12/14 1:37 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Wow. Been a while since I'd seen the baby food jar trick. My grandfather was doing that 80 years ago.

Yeah, my dad did it too. He had a bunch of jars mounted to a lazy-susan mounted to the ceiling. He also had some mounted to a 4X4 mounted like a spit. I thought it was stinkin' clever.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/14 3:59 p.m.

The next installment.

The start from page 3.

The interim.

This morning, the jet boat project had destroyed it again.

And after working on it most of the day.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
10/17/14 4:19 p.m.

^^ I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that makes some progress, then backslides. Nice band-saw by the way.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/17/14 4:35 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

I tend to clean it up when I can't fine anything. That was this morning.

The band-saw is the latest and last big tool purchase. So far, I'm loving it.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers SuperDork
10/17/14 5:28 p.m.

Two cars in! Though the Accent only fits because it's tiny:

photo DSCF6621.jpg

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/17/14 7:48 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: I'm not sure I understand how tapcon screws work though, about 30-50% of the time, they don't really bite and strip out immediately.

You're probably using too large a drill bit. Tapcon kits normally come with their own drill bits for each size of fastener. You need to be a 32nd to a 16th smaller on the drill bit than the size of the fastener. If you're using 1/4" Tapcons with a 1/4" masonry bit, you'll have the situation you're describing.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
12/31/14 1:45 p.m.

^ Tried to quote you, but it takes me to a page that just says "Broke."

Anyway, I was using the drill bit provided with the Tapcon Kit.

Finished doing some more cleanup so I could submit to "show us your shop". Even got the Miata mobile. Just need to sort out the airbag light to get it through inspection.

An over edited photo I took (not one submitted for the contest):  photo GarageHDR-1_zpsadae4d1f.jpg

PubBurgers
PubBurgers SuperDork
12/31/14 1:48 p.m.

I'll resume cleanup once Ohio thaws out come spring.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
1/12/15 10:58 p.m.

Well, I am still working on it. It is coming along.

As it stands, some stuff is laying out plasma cutter, engine hoist, etc. just do not have a spot yet. That will be fixed.....

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/15 12:35 p.m.

Glad to see this thread is still going. I have been working on getting my garage space in shape for the New Year, and am pleased with the results so far. I have a few areas to address, and a bunch of stuff to dispose of, and then hopefully it will be clean for 3 minutes so I can take a few pictures.

Claff
Claff Reader
1/13/15 4:57 p.m.

You guys and your two-car garages

1 ... 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gBjqLuFLc75kjvwlhSqmCwbWETDu9uyEHsj2zWMwAkmYt9wzvg5hkm58ZFYQuSaZ