1 2 3
Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Dork
9/15/09 11:40 a.m.

Ok, so I have been anticipating this show for quite some time because there is suppose to be a segment of "Stars in Green Cars" similar to TG's Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, and having Jerry Seinfeld as his first guest, i thought for sure it would be on.... But NO. How come? I thought the show was alright, alot like the Tonight Show, and I thought Kanye's apology was sincere... Maybe tonight I get to see Hollywood's finest going around a track... Rant Complete.

RossD
RossD HalfDork
9/15/09 11:46 a.m.

"Whats the deal?"

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
9/15/09 11:59 a.m.

Yes, they seemed to miss a rather obvious car nut, Seinfeld.

From what I heard, the "Star in a Car" thing is actually an electric go cart track that is setup somewhere that they can time them in (I know there is an indoor cart track not far from the studios, so it might be there). So, if true, not exactly like TG.

The show does seem VERY similar to The Tonight Show. Hopefully he will wander into more car territory. Right now I think they are just trying to get as wide an audience as possible.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
9/15/09 12:13 p.m.

I liked the show , Jay seemed uncomfortable in the chair when getting up , the cheaters gay thing was ahhh akward , kanye looked like he was gonna cry , you give me a crap load of money and a bottle of hooch I will storm the stage at the challenge and proclaim that I should win the trophy . All in all a 7.5 outta 10 .

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/15/09 12:14 p.m.

Star in a Car uses a Ford Focus Electric conversion on a track that was built next to Jays studio. Expect it one day per week and I would expect multiple stars to be featured during one "session" if I read the scatterred releases properly. Maybe Tim could call his buddy and ask him ;)

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Dork
9/15/09 12:16 p.m.
RossD wrote:

looks like he needs this...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/15/09 12:22 p.m.

That Kanye West thing was painful.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/15/09 1:10 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: That Kanye West thing was painful.

If by "That Kanye West thing" you mean "Every time he opens his mouth, even when it's only part-way" then yeah, I totally agree.

John Brown
9/15/09 1:18 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: That Kanye West thing was painful.
If by "That Kanye West thing" you mean "Every time he opens his mouth, even when it's only part-way but doubly so if the dude is talking or doing whatever those moron record execs are paying him for" then yeah, I totally agree.

Agreed

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/15/09 2:16 p.m.

I thought the entire thing fell pretty flat.

I've been waiting for this for a long time, and intend to be a loyal follower. I hope Jay finds his stride.

The set was completely awkward. Jay didn't fit the glitz very well- he looked very out of place.

I've been in set design for 30 years, and this was a complete miss, as far as I was concerned.

If they were going to go glitz, they should have worked at making it an environment Jay would fit in. For example, it would have been over the top if the entire thing was designed as giant pictures of cars and their components. They could have made a fabulous glitzy showcase that Jay would have fit in perfectly if they had gone to his garage with a camera and featured his own cars.

Additionally, I thought it focused too much on the guests, and I didn't find them that interesting. I love Jerry Seinfeld, and therefore think he was the best guest, but even he spent the entire time emphasizing that he hasn't been on TV for 11 years, and is therefore uninteresting. A lot of painful moments in the guests.

Looking forward to a bit of improvement.

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Dork
9/15/09 2:20 p.m.
SVreX wrote: The set was completely awkward. Jay didn't fit the glitz very well- he looked very out of place.

I thought it looked like a Phil Donahue set

John Brown
9/15/09 2:20 p.m.

I still don't see five nights a week.

Personally I would like to see a two hour saturday show from 9 to 11pm.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
9/15/09 2:25 p.m.

I thought that it was a little awkward, but I think that he'll make changes based on the feedback and criticism he's received.

I would've liked to have seen Kanye fry and cry in that seat....

flountown
flountown New Reader
9/15/09 2:32 p.m.

I want him to act out the marketing strategies from the commercials...the group pitching him ideas was hilarious..."all the judges hold up tens, but oh a 9 central from the Russian judge."

dan_efi
dan_efi Reader
9/15/09 4:22 p.m.

Was the Oprah drop-down screen just a video effect? I thought it wiggled with the camera just before it retracted.

I haven't seen the tonight show in a few years, but from what I remember this looks like the same show on a new set. Didn't realize there was supposed to be an automotive side to it. That would have been nice.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/15/09 9:03 p.m.

Leno's a great car guy, but his comedy has always been too vanilla for me. He's just not all that funny.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/15/09 9:08 p.m.

It will take a few shows to settle in guys, give him a chance.

EricM
EricM HalfDork
9/15/09 9:24 p.m.

He has had hundreds of shows. Maybe that is the problem, It was the tonight show at 9 pm.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
9/15/09 10:26 p.m.

I like the new show. Isn't it a similar format to the Tonight Show? I didn't like the 10 at 10 skit though. 10 questions at 10:00 for some celebrity or celebrities.

Overall, I am pleased. I thought the part where he went to the houses and was reading Popular Mechanics to one of the kids was funny. He also dangled some sports cars from one of those baby toys that parents hang in their baby's crib to amuse the couple's infant.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
9/15/09 10:45 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Leno's a great car guy, but his comedy has always been too vanilla for me. He's just not all that funny.

Agreed. While I've always liked that Leno is a car guy, I was never impressed by Leno as a comedian. I've always prefered Conan O'Brien (because of his goofiness) and Craig Ferguson (because he is certifiably insane).

I missed last night's episode; too busy watching the Bills choke against the Patriots again. Tonight's episode was pretty bland. I am interested in that "Star In An Evironmentally-Friendly Car" skit- I'd love to see how badly Hollywood's bimbos/jackasses du jour drive.

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Dork
9/16/09 8:24 a.m.

Well he had Tom Cruise on last night, god i cant stand him! If it came down to watching a Tom Cruise movie or sticking a hot needle in my eye, i would start heating a needle up....

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
9/16/09 10:16 a.m.

I watched part of monday's show and the monologue from tuesdays show.. It looks like a previous poster said, that "they" (probably the network), are trying very hard to open up the show to more viewers than the Tonight Show has/had? I didn't really care for the attempt to keep it sort of like the old show, when Jay was host, by moving things around(headlines squeezed into the last 5 minutes, for example), and the "car wash" segment was WAAAAAAY too long and not all that great/funny.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/16/09 12:09 p.m.

I loved the part where he brought in his "lyricist" friend.. That woman looked horrified.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/16/09 10:34 p.m.

Day 3:

Jay is doing MUCH better. He's finding his stride...

...but the set is STILL awful. It's a complete distraction, although it did give Robin Williams the opportunity to point out that it was like playing on the world's biggest Guitar Hero.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
9/16/09 10:44 p.m.

I saw the "Ghosting" skit from tonight's episode. That was friggin' hilarious!

"Next up is Speed Ghosting which is just like Ghosting, only speedier."

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1nJwp27tA8tx0eymMKej1bultAyAyajFcy3qgCPp4ZlPQ7mlfJUasagVXyw5VMSV