1 2
DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/2/18 5:10 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 said:
DrBoost said:

So, here I am with two more sets of speakers that I don't have the room for... and do NOT have the spousal approval for.

Sounds familiar, haha. My dad has about 20 sets of speaker projects around the house in various states of completion.  Drives my mom nuts...

Does your dad want to liquidate stuff????

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/2/18 7:29 p.m.

In reply to LopRacer :

damn store managers having google. The local ones sometimes have scores down this way, I've picked up early solid state HK receivers for $10, Klipsch KG4s for $30, La Scalas for $80 and a Mac amp for $15 and that's just the stuff that I've hung onto. I've gifted a few friends and my BiL full component setups from scores from their stores. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/3/18 6:24 a.m.

I keep hearing about people finding high-end stuff at Goodwill. I have found nothing worth dragging home at my 2 local GE stores.   

The best I've found was a cheap Advent tower....yes only one tower. And the woofer needed to be refoamed. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/3/18 6:54 a.m.

goodwill puts most of it's good stuff up on online auction sites, i believe that they have their own auction site as well now. speaking of which, occasionally propertyroom has decent deals. 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
1/3/18 9:01 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

Google sure has changed things at the places where I go to dig through junk looking for gems.

It used to be I’d find something good and bring it to the checkout to ask what the price was.  The response would have been “I don’t even know what that is.  What’s it worth to you?”

Not anymore!

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/3/18 1:49 p.m.

I need a new set of speakers for my garage.  I'm moving my little B&W's and a Carver 1090 integrated amp to the cabin cuz it's little plastic all in one thingy sucks and hurts my brain to listen to.  Said garage has an old NAD integrated amp of probably 80 wpc.

Whatcha got?

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/3/18 1:52 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Rule number two, it's gotta make you say hrrrngggggg.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
1/4/18 7:19 p.m.
captdownshift said:

goodwill puts most of it's good stuff up on online auction sites, i believe that they have their own auction site as well now. speaking of which, occasionally propertyroom has decent deals. 

Goodwill does in fact have a pretty decent auction site of their own.  I have spent time looking but have yet to buy anything good.

I went back today the they are Magnepan 3.3 speakers huge look really cool, but not $600 almost $700 good on my budget. SWMBO would end me for sure.

Nugi
Nugi New Reader
1/5/18 8:01 a.m.

In reply to paranoid_android :

Minor hijack, but...

Where do you source 500v capacitors that are neither gold plated by virgins, nor re-canned chinese rejects? All I seem to find is ultra high end or crapcan. I used to have a shop in my old town where I just picked em up for a few bucks. I am constantly 'rescuing' antique radios and using them for guitar amps. But I have a few old hifi, and real amps as well, but the hum has started in many, so the electrolytics are getting refreshed everywhere this season.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YxIIH6UpJXOTxDUrNO5BTsGlejcE9oCHKeZVFnWaREH6doLLHAkB7oAsYnIsP2Su