1 2 3
Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
8/15/13 9:54 a.m.

The only picture we've got.

A dual engined Duesenberg race car chassis. Apparently it ran and set a speed record at 15something mph.

Two 300 inch straight eights, two transmissions and a common differential housing.

Duesenberg 16 valve, 4-cylinder, walking beam engine:

Packard V12 cutaway. Check out the valvetrain and the valve angle for a flathead.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
8/15/13 10:10 a.m.

I got a thing for Amilcars

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/15/13 10:14 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: What? It was before the Gulf War.

FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP

jg

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
8/15/13 10:43 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Packard V12 cutaway. Check out the valvetrain and the valve angle for a flathead.

We put one of these on the dyno last week to diagnose a running issue (super lean at tip in) and it pounded out 210hp at 2200RPM!!!!

Best looking motor ever in my opinion.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/15/13 10:46 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Bentley 4 1/2 litre blower that was used to set the lap record at Brooklands at 137mph

Postive camber!!

Here is a packard pic that I took at the Lake Mirror show in 2010

I love the idea of venetian blinds to limit airflow through the radiator.....very TIMTOWTDI

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
8/15/13 10:49 a.m.

They're actually thermostatic shuttters.

There's a bellows filled with alcohol in the radiator which expands when it gets hot and a pushrod opens the louvers.

Shawn

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
8/15/13 10:51 a.m.

We need some Pierce Arrow goodness in here......

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/15/13 10:54 a.m.

"shutters" sounds way cooler than "blinds"

Thanks, I didn't know how it worked, but I did know that it was automatic....it's just so different than the modern cut-current-to-the-fan-on-and-off method.

From the same show - 1920 Willys Sainte Clare

1910 Oakland Model 24

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/15/13 11:36 a.m.

This is now my new favorite thread

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/15/13 11:37 a.m.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/15/13 11:41 a.m.

This Boyle Special was at the same show (Lake Mirror, 2010) and was one of the featured cars at the event. check out the friction shocks You have to love supercharged inline eights.....this engine was the predecessor to the famous offenhauser engines of indy

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
8/15/13 11:43 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote: Packard V12 cutaway. Check out the valvetrain and the valve angle for a flathead.
We put one of these on the dyno last week to diagnose a running issue (super lean at tip in) and it pounded out 210hp at 2200RPM!!!! Best looking motor ever in my opinion.

Wow, is that the spark plug way up there above the valve?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
8/15/13 12:53 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

The drawing is just a drawing, I'm guessing it's not the final drawing because the actual engines place the plug in the chamber.

The aluminum heads and iron heads both have the plugs in the same spot.

Here's a hotrodded version build for a custom built car.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
8/15/13 12:57 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: In reply to tuna55: The drawing is just a drawing, I'm guessing it's not the final drawing because the actual engines place the plug in the chamber. The aluminum heads and iron heads both have the plugs in the same spot. Here's a hotrodded version build for a custom built car.

Did you guys do that one, too? Are the connecting rods really that long? This is really cool stuff.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
8/15/13 1:05 p.m.

The Delahaye 135M is my favorite:

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
8/15/13 2:09 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Nope, not us. That's a creation from Fran Roxas, a top notch builder and restorer. Here's more info on it: http://www.gatsbyonline.com/main.aspx?page=text&id=689&cat=auto

Yes, the rods are really that long.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
8/15/13 7:46 p.m.

Haha, I can't believe I came across this pic online. I have worked on all three of these cars. The Miller Ford is an interesting race car being that it is FWD. The light blue car is a Kurtis Indycar from the 50's and the orange one is a Duesenberg.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
8/15/13 7:48 p.m.

Here's a better pic of the Kurtis, yes it's post war, but its a cool car none the less.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/15/13 8:04 p.m.

Friction disk dampers and leaf springs.....what real men used for suspensions

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/15/13 8:11 p.m.

This one is a 1926 Rickenbacker

Yes, THAT Rickenbacker.
After shooting down 26 Germans, he came home and made cars.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/15/13 8:15 p.m.

This one's for Woody. It's a 28, too. They should have kept the original cowl, though.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/15/13 8:19 p.m.

1932 Chevy

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/15/13 8:23 p.m.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/15/13 8:23 p.m.

OK, I'm out....those are all the cool pre-war pics that I've taken. I'll give you one more, that I obviously didn't take, since I've never even seen one of these things in real life:

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/15/13 11:16 p.m.

cutting and pasting these in from the thread that inspired this thread

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jzbQdym0LTKLOWHvuWrOge6DuykQmYVpFNogKf68MoZmuEsznVmWko4PfwacYV3W