1 2 3
fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
8/15/13 11:32 p.m.

I think I have a new favorite. Saw this today in Carmel. Bugatti Type 57 frame with a recreation magnesium speedster body that took 10 years to built. The owner (black polo) was even a nice guy.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
8/15/13 11:37 p.m.

And a few more obvious choices from the Mullin collection. Really liked this little Peugeot.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/15/13 11:51 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: I think I have a new favorite. Saw this today in Carmel. Bugatti Type 57 frame with a recreation magnesium speedster body that took 10 years to built. The owner (black polo) was even a nice guy.

Wow, that is gorgeous. It has some interesting features (the way the two spare tires are held, the way the front fender supports are in front of the grill, etc.) If you ever see it again, I'd love to see some photos of the fenders from up close so we could learn more about the fender construction....the raised flanges with rivets to hold the side together are different than anything I've ever seen before.

Magnesium, though.....I understand that magnesium alloys give good strength/weight ratios, but I would think that it is a really bad idea in the case of a fire. (xp79 fighter)

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/16/13 12:00 a.m.

Oh, I now understand the fenders. Look at this Type 57 body with the flanges along the center, and the rivets holding them together http://www.ritzsite.nl/Bugatti_T57/03_T57.htm

the fenders also do it

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
8/16/13 5:44 a.m.

It's funny how I've always felt that pre-war racing venues were loaded with black, white and grey cars, or cars with polished body work. In reality, there would have been a rainbow of colors on track.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/16/13 7:19 a.m.

Morgan pre-war

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/16/13 7:47 a.m.

Jeremy Clarkson once said, "Morgan doesn't have a styling department; they have a photocopier." He's wrong, though....there's a LOT of fit-and-finish difference in those cars. this one really surprised me.....it is far more rough than I would have expected

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/16/13 7:54 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

It is funny because Morgan started as a company building extremely cheap cars and now look at them.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/16/13 8:01 a.m.

Yeah, the only one I've seen IRL - a morgan aero 8 - was amazing.....complex curves everywhere

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/16/13 8:14 a.m.

Once while we were in England, I ran across this place, the Morgan three wheeler musuem. It was pretty neat.

http://www.morgan-organ.com/morganmuseum.html

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
8/16/13 10:41 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
fanfoy wrote: I think I have a new favorite. Saw this today in Carmel. Bugatti Type 57 frame with a recreation magnesium speedster body that took 10 years to built. The owner (black polo) was even a nice guy.
Wow, that is gorgeous. It has some interesting features (the way the two spare tires are held, the way the front fender supports are in front of the grill, etc.) If you ever see it again, I'd love to see some photos of the fenders from up close so we could learn more about the fender construction....the raised flanges with rivets to hold the side together are different than anything I've ever seen before. Magnesium, though.....I understand that magnesium alloys give good strength/weight ratios, but I would think that it is a really bad idea in the case of a fire. (xp79 fighter)

For you JoeyM, here are other detail pictures that I have. I have a bunch more if you follow the link.

This is a replica of a showcar that Bugatti made at the same time as the Aerolite concept (same techniques and material).

The owner showed a article they have of his car in the latest Octane magazine if you want more info.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/16/13 10:44 a.m.

Thank you, I'll be studying those.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
8/16/13 5:50 p.m.

Austin Seven Special

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gC2AToYfDV8owIKWMpmrUaYjG4HtusrJ24z1rs8CpmfyHyhitGv8E3Hz0PsgSYvB