1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/23/18 11:23 a.m.

Did anyone else zoom in on Toyman's pile looking for stuff they might want? I can't be the only one.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/23/18 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

As I stare at my own pile of purge worthy crap in my house - no. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/18 12:00 p.m.

But I am going to need it for something. Those nine words have been a problem for me.  

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
9/23/18 12:01 p.m.
dean1484 said:

But I am going to need it for something. Those nine words have been a problem for me.  

No it's not for sale.......I'm gonna restore it someday .....waddya new!?!??!!!!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/23/18 12:17 p.m.

Just watched an hour of " hoarders"for further inspiration. Separation anxiety is my clinical TV diagnosis. To fix a problem you must first realize there is a problem.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/23/18 4:42 p.m.

I have three sets of factory aluminum Datsun wheels in my attic waiting for the never to happen Datsun 510 build due to the current rarity of Datsun’s.  

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/23/18 5:25 p.m.

Man I could of used the low rise handlebars! I've been trying to motivate myself to do this with the bicycle stuff in my basement. I really don't need 10 spare mountain bike wheels or the 8 47-66 era wheelsets I'll never trust enough too use. 

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/23/18 9:26 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

knowing my luck lately the top item would be my I phone. I can’t afford that strategy!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
9/24/18 7:25 a.m.

Update.  Had the kids swap furniture (boy had outgrown the loft bed and girl used the extra storage space while his room looks more teenager appropriate.  Three big garbage bags of clutter went to the dumpster and their spaces got significantly cleaner and better.

Side rant:  why the berkeley can't children just do what they are told??  The cleaning could have been done in 1/4 the time if they had just buckled down and done it instead of drag assing and being lazy slugs.  Thanks kids, I enjoy nagging you all day on my every other weekend time. frown

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/18 7:31 a.m.

We did purge the shed today, and made room to build a loft for car parts and there’s even room to park the mower that hasn’t fit in there for 2 years 

i feel a garage purge coming.  It’s the only thing left.  Still need to make it bigger though.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
9/24/18 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Can you be my life coach?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/24/18 12:43 p.m.

We kinda purged our attic earlier this summer when we (finally) installed a floor. It's mostly holiday decorations up there, but there were a few "What's in this box?" moments. Answers: Honda CRX parts, Innocenti hubcaps and a few things like that. Still need to get more on eBay, but I did sell some stuff via Facebook Marketplace. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/24/18 12:45 p.m.

Purge season is upon us in SWPA now as well. Started with the porch this weekend, and slowly beginning to go around the house. Next up is the dining room E36 M3 gatherer, err, table. Then the laundry room, closets, into the office, and finally into the attic. I started at the door and am working to the biggest messes, providing a clear exit route along the way. 

Now that little tyke goes to school every day I can get E36 M3 done during the week, as well as a break from 90F and 150% humidity, I can finally get around to taking care of things that need taken care of. I find it much easier to pick one spot or room and do it until it's done. This never used to be the case, I'd just go from pile to pile, and rearrange without actually cleaning. 

For now, I'm making use of my overpriced for the area trash service, but a dumpster may be easier.

All of this leading up to an October shower replacement.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/24/18 1:59 p.m.

Ugh, all I've been doing the last 12 months is buying more stuff we need for the house.

The divorce and move out 3.5 years ago, and multiple moves it entailed after that, meant I just threw away more and more and more stuff each time. 

When I moved from Tulsa to OKC in Jan '17 (4th move since Mar '15). I didn't even have a TV or a stereo. I was down to my computer, bed, nightstands, loveseat and chair, end table, and a few pictures and such. 

Had to buy a TV, PS, kitchen gadgets/pots and pans, etc. I wasn't even filling up my 1 bed apt when I first moved down here. Now I still see more stuff we "need," but I'm very cognizant of how much more stuff I have now then I did 18 months ago.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/24/18 2:09 p.m.

My wife is really good at purging. She doesn't come out to the garage much. That's why our house is clean and the garage is a disaster.

I think she would happily purge the garage for me but like a patient with a dislocated shoulder I'd kick and scream and cry and resist and say mean things, but as soon as it is done I'd be so happy.

I don't think I'm going to ask her to put my shoulder back in the socket yet. I like this painful and useless arm.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/24/18 2:23 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I had a similar experience in 2016 when I got a second apartment for work in NH.  While I brought up a few things from home (an extra dresser, my TV, futon sofa, a few dishes), I bought a bunch of stuff new from Target and a couple of other items from one the local Salvation Army store (kitchen table, mainly) - which I donated back to them when I moved out.

Of course, now I have all of the duplicate items stuffed into my attic... yay...  although it was nice to have an extra coffee maker when my home one broke.

In reply to Robbie :

My ex- was great at purging.  If something sat around her house for too long, it was gone.  I think it is a reaction from her father being a pack-rat.  A well organized pack-rat, but man he has amassed a collection of... stuff. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jneh1oImxOAhpYMmcek89LscLQ68ZcYP18nkz5kniHQZchiutIjue41PDBtbeEQ5