1 2 3
M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
5/15/16 8:06 p.m.

No pic but I got mine in '73 from Stony St.Clair. He was old school. Google him, sort of a interesting guy.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/15/16 8:30 p.m.

A few tats a few piercings. More always intended down the road. I have an old one I got long ago when I was in the service that a buddy designed for me. No photos of that though.

Then I took the great rendering of the Wartburg that Mike Learn did for me and had it tattoed on my calf.

Also because I do a lot of animal rescue when I loose one of them I have their paw print (we take impressions before their death) tattoed on me with their name. I will remember each of them always this way and its a permanent reminder of the permanent impact each has made on my life. If, when I die, I am covered in paw prints I will have led a pretty good life.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
5/15/16 10:53 p.m.

I've got one, Susan B Anthony on my right calf. Well it didn't start off as Susan B Anthony, but a friend of mine, upon seeing it the first time, asked me, deadpan; "why did you get a tattoo of Susan B Anthony?"

And sadly I liked the idea of it being her better than the truth.

I don't regret it, but If I knew then what I do now, I might have gone with something else.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
5/16/16 6:40 a.m.

I have one, and one only. Shortly after my divorce in 2010 I decided I wanted one. I wasn't sure what and went thru many ideas until I settled on the trademark logo for my part-time photo business. I've used it since 1996 or so and hand-drew at least half of it (part of it was traced from a greeting card).

ArrestingPhotography.com And when the guy went to do it, he asked if I wanted it shaded 3D like this or full black like I normally use. I figured try the 3D, he can always fill it in. I liked it 3D. Everyone told me "they're addictive! You'll be wanting more!" Nope, never had a desire for another, although I've thought about a pin-up girl on the other leg from time to time.

dorri732
dorri732 Reader
5/16/16 7:48 a.m.

Here's mine. I got it about a year ago.

Toymanswife
Toymanswife New Reader
5/18/16 5:25 p.m.

Two tats. One at age 30 and the other at 40. HWMBO agreed to the first one. I didn't ask on the second one. I occasionally think about a final one but not sure where I could get it that won't affect me professionally and am 99% sure that he won't agree. NOT asking permission or anything but just agreement.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
5/18/16 6:32 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Mind if I copy you with the paw prints? At this point I have 5 to do.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
5/18/16 9:17 p.m.

In reply to dorri732: Run silent, Run deep. Submariner. Have friends that were submariners.

Thought about getting Army Aviation Master Crewmember wings tattoo. But the army took the prestige away when they changed the rules so all you have to do is be in aviation long enough to get them, automatic now. When I got my senior and master wings they were awarded based on flight time and very few got master wings. When I got mine there were only 3 of us in the battalion wearing them and less than a dozen in the whole 101st division w/10 aviation battalions.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
5/19/16 7:32 a.m.

I saw the thread pop back up and finally remembered to go find pics of mine.

I drew an outline concept of this one and then the artist I was working with created the final version. Actually, the spark plug at the top was added free hand during the process:

And my older one - this one started as a flash design on the wall but the artist redrew it and customized it for me:

Neither are great pictures, the ink looks better in real life. I really do view it as an art collection. I find artists whose work impresses me, and then I usually provide some kind of baseline direction and tell them to do something they like. We always discuss / draw out their ideas before they ink it, but I haven't told them no yet. It's permanent and costs a lot of money, so finding someone you trust and whose work you like is the most important part. I've never regretted getting either, and there are more in my future.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
5/19/16 9:03 a.m.

Another with lots of scars but no ink here.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
5/19/16 10:30 a.m.

I have two

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/16 6:50 p.m.
Storz wrote: I have two

I feel as if this one should have a disclaimer that the compass doesn't actually work

No ink here. I'd probably be embarrassed by anything I had tattooed on my body 20 years ago, so I assume the same would be true 20 years from now. Although I do think "No user serviceable parts inside" would be as funny now as I did in 1996.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/3/16 7:07 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Storz wrote: I have two
I feel as if this one should have a disclaimer that the compass doesn't actually work No ink here. I'd probably be embarrassed by anything I had tattooed on my body 20 years ago, so I assume the same would be true 20 years from now. Although I do think "No user serviceable parts inside" would be as funny now as I did in 1996.

Thats funny as hell. I might borroe that.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
6/3/16 7:23 p.m.
Brian wrote: In reply to JThw8: Mind if I copy you with the paw prints? At this point I have 5 to do.

Not at all. I have a few other friends who have started to commemorate their passed pets this way as well, I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with the idea. Sadly I have 2 more that need to get done, just waiting on time to get out to see my guy, he's not local but I like his work and he respects my decisions on things even though some of what I want doesn't jive with his personal artistic style.

A bit beyond my dedication level but I have heard that you can have their ashes mixed in with the ink if you REALLY want them to be with you always. But I've heard mixed input on the safety of doing that and really I can remember them without their ashes in my body.

revrico
revrico GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/3/16 9:09 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

I've never been inside to find out, but it's been related to me that cigarette ashes are rather important in the making of prison ink. Helps for that recognizable faded green color they take on after a couple years. As for the safety of it.... I'm not so sure.

But I will add that the tattoo in my first post, of the girl under the tree, does have some of the artists blood in it. We had been friends for 20 years when I got it done, and still are, so when I asked her to sign it, she made it very personal. Now there's a 2 year wait to get into see her, so I definitely do not regret being one of her firsts. I still get more comments on it than all my others too.

Finally got a picture of my favorite one. Started with just one bat on a whim, and has evolved to this. More may be added in in the future though. Seriously, I'm a HUGE HST and Ralph Steadman fan, and this at least I hadn't seen as a tattoo before I got it.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/1/16 7:44 a.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: Hilarious. The only forum where no one has ink....

i was going to, but then hipsters ruined it like they ruin everything else /getoffmylawn

my sister has some great ink, and she rides a scooter and drives a smart fortwo. she might be a hipster even though she denounces them. i'll probably get killed if she finds out i said that.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/1/16 7:52 a.m.
Storz wrote:

dude, Bob Ross put a happy little tree on your arm. awesome.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/1/16 9:36 a.m.

I have several, but these are two of my favorites.

First, the one only bass players seem to get:

And then this one. I got the eagle done about 15 years ago. My grandmother on my polish side always wanted to get a tattoo of a rose, but never got around to it. After she passed, I had the eagle surrounded by roses, and a phrase she hand wrote in polish just before she passed away. I did have to have the eagle redone - it looked a little tired after 15 years.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
7/1/16 10:17 a.m.

here is my tattoo of a Big Daddy Roth piece. I love old school hot rod art so it seemed fitting

photo 35944_10150247223115564_3863146_n.jpg

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/1/16 10:24 a.m.

Got some more last night. I'll try to get some pics.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/1/16 11:32 a.m.

never pierced, no ink

I've always thought the only tattoo worth a damn would be a Tasmanian Devil neck tattoo. If you are going to go.....go all the way!

WilD
WilD HalfDork
7/1/16 11:50 a.m.

No ink. Been thinking about it, but I change my mind too much.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/1/16 12:49 p.m.
WilD wrote: No ink. Been thinking about it, but I change my mind too much.

This goes back to some weird thing that's happened with people "outside" the normal demographic of tattoos getting them.

It has to "mean" something or be "important" or some other such weird crap.

I got mine cause I think they look cool. Not because I still think about the time in '94 when the lunch lady gave me an extra salisbury steak.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/1/16 12:51 p.m.

I got my first one because I thought it looked good, I I've been adding to the collection because they're addictive.

Been trying to figure out how to get back under the needle lately because it's been a while. Might have to go get the years we won the cup added to my penguin tattoo soon.

That some do have a more personal meaning on me, is basically an excuse more than a sentimental thing

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
9/15/17 6:35 a.m.

Did you tattoo your canoe?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lIKrFociwDL46en0p1zwZhgCM3IZj7pRW82Ngjgu8aSri9r8cixopbXSm0PzgJ4E