1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/14 9:55 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewymCE3cF10

Yet another ad for semi-autonomous-driving tech that scares the E36 M3 outta me. If they want me to feel good about the computers taking over completely from this numbskull, mission accomplished.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/14 9:59 a.m.

that commercial makes me twitch. The last thing any car maker needs to do is encourage distracted driving.. why not just show the guy texting and call it what it is

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
10/1/14 10:01 a.m.

AGREE COMPLETELY. The real newthink / newspeak moment in that commercial is near the end, though, where the berking announcer actually says "Its instinct to protect leaves you free to drive" or some such bullE36 M3. My jaw dropped the first time I heard that and I actually blurted out "Then why isn't he f-ing DRIVING then?!"

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/1/14 10:13 a.m.

'Its instinct to protect leaves you free to drive' but according to the voiceover all he is doing is obsessing about everything EXCEPT his driving? That makes me want to hurl.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
10/1/14 10:16 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: 'Its instinct to protect leaves you free to drive' but according to the voiceover all he is doing is obsessing about everything EXCEPT his driving? That makes me want to hurl.

That line, in the context of that commercial, is enough to prevent me from ever even considering buying an Infiniti.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/1/14 10:33 a.m.

The End is nie. Repent. Repent. .

Type Q
Type Q Dork
10/1/14 10:35 a.m.

I think the ad agency that produced that and the marketing people at Nissan that approved should have their driving privileges revoked for a year. There counterparts at Mercedes-Benz who put out the add featuring a Benz at demolition derby being saving by it's driver aids should also.

I am not against driver aids and active safety enhancements. What bothers me, is technology being marketed at substitutes for safe driving habits.

GameboyRMH
10/1/14 10:41 a.m.
Type Q wrote: There counterparts at Mercedes-Benz who put out the add featuring a Benz at demolition derby being saving by it's driver aids should also.

I once did a play-by-play analysis of that ad, and the "hero" is responsible for half of the dangerous situations shown in the demo derby ring.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/1/14 10:56 a.m.

I would like to reshoot that commercial to have the guy coming out of a bar at 3am.

"shouldn't have had that 13th beer" "whoa, I thought that elephant was in the road" "long straightaway maybe I can catch a nap"

I wonder how that would play? I know they would sell the E36 M3 out of them here in the northeast!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/1/14 11:26 a.m.

I really didn't pay attention to that commercal until my wife started bitching about it. I completely agree.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
10/1/14 11:34 a.m.

What about the Mercedes commercial that shows a guy speeding through thick fog on a dark night and coming up on a construction site? Maybe you just shouldn't speed through the fog at night?

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
10/1/14 11:38 a.m.

New proposed thread title.

"This dumbass shouldn't even need a license."

Why require licensing if the car is so smart it can keep you safe despite the driver's best efforts?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/1/14 11:39 a.m.

and Michael Phelps thought that he was going to lose all of his endorsements.

GameboyRMH
10/1/14 11:41 a.m.

I bet Infiniti, Mercedes and Toyota will be clamoring for him, and he'll be in their next ad!

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
10/1/14 11:44 a.m.
Type Q wrote: I am not against driver aids and active safety enhancements. What bothers me, is technology being marketed at substitutes for safe driving habits.

^ this

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
10/1/14 11:51 a.m.

^ Agree with that.^
But did see that those features could help as long as they don't become habit.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/1/14 11:55 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: and Michael Phelps thought that he was going to lose all of his endorsements.

hahaha! I just saw that in the paper this AM. Nicely done.

GameboyRMH
10/1/14 11:59 a.m.
Type Q wrote: I am not against driver aids and active safety enhancements. What bothers me, is technology being marketed at substitutes for safe driving habits.

Agree but it's worse than that, this ad and the earlier one from Toyota where the Asian couple nearly gets creamed by a semi while changing songs market these active safety features as a substitute for giving a berkeley about where your car is going.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/1/14 1:52 p.m.

Should this make me more or less scared to ride my motorcycle?

Bumboclaat
Bumboclaat HalfDork
10/1/14 1:56 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Should this make me more or less scared to ride my motorcycle?

If you're currently terrified, carry on.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
10/1/14 3:28 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: 'Its instinct to protect leaves you free to drive'

'Its instinct to protect leaves you free NOT to drive'

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/1/14 4:58 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: 'Its instinct to protect leaves you free to drive' but according to the voiceover all he is doing is obsessing about everything EXCEPT his driving? That makes me want to hurl.

freedom to drive is what you want freedom from drive is what you got

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
10/1/14 7:27 p.m.

Human race is in a race to the bottom. This pretty much proves it.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
10/1/14 10:13 p.m.

Hack into it and plot the course of an autocross then just hold the gas on the floor! No driving skill needed!

Rub one out during your morning commute!

"I was bored, officer!..."

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
10/2/14 12:12 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: Rub one out during your morning commute! "I was bored, officer!..."

People already do that.

Saw a woman going to town on herself years ago on 95. Fun fact about those cab over box trucks is that most of them are high enough that we can see right into your car no problem.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xRupKtRnzR1iptgZ72bqITHb1bXYVtb8KKne9cS3tcXDDBnPYB3OwYlUikUd7Sve