1 2
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/18 5:49 p.m.

The mother in law’s 2015 CRV lease is almost up and even though it is bland, boring , and gray, the price is nice and it’s been garaged and gently used the first 40,000 miles of it’s life. The Wife is contemplating it but wants to know if there are any known problems we should know about/have checked before we go ahead. I assume being a Honda it is fairly reliable and we should be able to service it ourselves but thought I’d ask if there’s anything to watch out for.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/17/18 5:57 p.m.

Apart from causing your soul to slowly wither away and die they're pretty trouble free.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
6/17/18 5:59 p.m.

It’s a K powered Honda. Add fuel and do oil changes. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
6/17/18 6:01 p.m.

It will run forever with basic maintenance. Seriously one of the best cars ever made for normal people.  

Wally
6/17/18 6:09 p.m.
APEowner said:

Apart from causing your soul to slowly wither away and die...

That’s the part we’re most afraid of.  At least half the cars in the retirement community my MIL lives in are CRVs. It makes my Buick look fun.  It’s the smart thing to do financially but the thought of it is tough for her to take. She wants to know if we can give it some kind of personality, maybe stripes or big knobby tires and a snorkel.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
6/17/18 6:09 p.m.

What if you get that and wrap it in a crazy color? 

Wally
6/17/18 6:13 p.m.

In reply to JamesMcD :

I’m going to call a friend for a price tomorrow.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/17/18 6:26 p.m.

Some have had a problem with the heater core.  There should be a TSB.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/18 6:34 p.m.

I saw a Scion xb with family truckster wood grain wrap.  It was sweet.  Need pix of Wally's woody ASAP.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/17/18 7:31 p.m.
APEowner said:

Apart from causing your soul to slowly wither away and die they're pretty trouble free.

Rav4's do this..  CRV's are better driving cars..  It's sad, but true.

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
6/17/18 8:22 p.m.

Not much help for you, but my ex has a really nice 2011 EX-L. It's a nice driving car and a remarkably decent place to spend time. It grew on me a lot more than I expected it to. 

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
6/17/18 8:31 p.m.

H&R lowering springs and your choice of wheels?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/18 8:33 p.m.

I just drove my Mother's CR-V with 114,000 miles on it.  It is much dirtier inside than when new, but has the same ride and acceleration and solid feel to it.  She has never had an issue with it, she changes the oil and gets it inspected.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
6/17/18 8:35 p.m.
Wally said:
APEowner said:

Apart from causing your soul to slowly wither away and die...

At least half the cars in the retirement community my MIL lives in are CRVs. 

The other half are Subaru Outbacks, right?

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
6/17/18 8:47 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Need pix of Wally's woody ASAP.

Phrasing

Wally
6/17/18 9:13 p.m.

In reply to minivan_racer :

I was actually looking for some lift and wide A/T tires. Might as well get a beach permit if I have AWD.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
6/18/18 7:19 a.m.

Daytons & Vogues

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish New Reader
6/18/18 7:23 a.m.

Among my family members there are four CRV's.  People run into them all the friggin time.  One is only a few weeks old, but the other three have been hit five or six times.  This isn't useful information, but it's the thing that stands out to me about CRV's.  They are comfy and they seem to last forever.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
6/18/18 8:59 a.m.

For a group that likes stupid old cop cars and rusty Jeeps, I suppose a CRV  would seem a bit lame.  Reliable, good resale value, decent looking...Who would want something like that?wink

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/18/18 9:32 a.m.
lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
6/18/18 9:51 a.m.
spitfirebill said:

If you are in a cold climet, definatly check the heat in the driver's side vent compared to the passengers.  It seems the hc gets partially blocked, and there is low or no coolant flow on the portion that the air flows through for the drivers side.  The first part of the TSB helped some, the second part, replacing the hc if the first is not effective is about 1500 bucks last I checked.   I had many drives to work with nearly warm heat to my hands and feet, and trips where I was going into hypothermia cause the gf on the pass side was melting. 

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
6/18/18 11:16 a.m.

We had a 2003 CRV that we sold to my brother in law a few years back.  I think it is up to like 175k and has had almost zero problems.  We put an AC compressor on it slightly before 100k if I remember correctly, but other than brake pads, tires and oil changes, it has needed nothing.  It still looks good too.  Now as to wether your soul will survive in tact, that's a different story, but they are excellent for basic transport that can carry things.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
6/18/18 12:10 p.m.

My wife had a 2014 CRV.

It is what it is. Respect it for that. It ain't macho. It is however, near perfection at traveling the miles and asking nothing in return.

Valerie's returned 33mpg over the years she drove it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
6/18/18 2:06 p.m.
lrrs said:
spitfirebill said:

If you are in a cold climet, definatly check the heat in the driver's side vent compared to the passengers.  It seems the hc gets partially blocked, and there is low or no coolant flow on the portion that the air flows through for the drivers side.  The first part of the TSB helped some, the second part, replacing the hc if the first is not effective is about 1500 bucks last I checked.   I had many drives to work with nearly warm heat to my hands and feet, and trips where I was going into hypothermia cause the gf on the pass side was melting. 

Find someone with a Hecat flusher and pay him.  They are a bit magic for most situations, and I've been wanting to try mine on one of those.  Not just a CRV problem, either- Jeep, Matrix, Dodge pickup...I didn't own my Hecat when those were in the shop, sadly.

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/18/18 3:53 p.m.

Vossen CV3 - Honda CRV by Ronaldo Stewart, on Flickr

My Wife's best friend leases CR-Vs, is on her 3rd now.  I can attest to the above comment about how they attract knuckleheads.  This current one has been hit twice in the parking lot, and a deer ran into the back door once.  The last one got into 3 not-her-fault fender benders.   I've done all the service on them, and really enjoy the occasional drive I get to take in them.  Great value for what they are.  Used ones hold up nicely.  I think we have a total of 4 in our extended family.  Haven't heard any complaints, major or minor.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a2qMcU2ucbMmO9fHBqoAKYxjxsuE2ixYp3g1vRtm4LThV5s1MzNZtgzyG3EaZTJd