dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/18 3:39 p.m.

Toronto warnings are up this is going to be a fun couple hours.  All those GRM people that are south of the Mass Pike be safe!

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
5/15/18 4:01 p.m.

Gust front went through here about 20 minutes ago. Watched a ~70ft larch deflect about 20ft at the top before whipping back the other way. Nothing down though - I think the big snowstorm we had took care of anything even remotely weak.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/18 5:56 p.m.

we are in the crosshairs of that storm too. It looks bad. Getting VERY humid here right now

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/18 7:12 p.m.

Toronto warnings eh?

No Time
No Time Dork
5/15/18 7:24 p.m.
EvanB said:

Toronto warnings eh?

The Toronto warnings had bruins fans on edge, but it was the Lightning that did them in...

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/18 9:25 p.m.

This was the worst wind I've seen in years.  There are dozens of trees blocking every major road and lost of places with no power.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/18 9:06 a.m.

well, no wind down at the southern tip of NJ. We had a LOT of lightning, heavy torrential downpours, and hail.. but no high winds

Brian
Brian MegaDork
5/16/18 9:56 a.m.

That explains the rain I drove through yesterday. Fun. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
5/16/18 10:28 a.m.

This makes my uncle happy.  He has a tree trimming business in southern New York (Westchester county and surroundings)

Big money time for him.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
5/16/18 3:50 p.m.

It was ugly here. We still have power, but most don't. Two confirmed tornadoes nearby. Quite a few roads are still impassable.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/18 8:49 p.m.

My town got absolutely slammed. The storm only lasted ten minutes, but it was brutal. This is the first time we’ve ever gone down to the basement for a storm. There are trees, wires and poles down everywhere. 120 roads closed in this small town. Power is out and PD says that it may be 6-8 days. All the houses around me are damaged but we had no trees within striking distance, so we avoided the worst. I have food, water, fuel,  generator power, beer and ammunition. It will be inconvenient for a few days,  but we’ll be okay. 

Glad everybody else made it through as well. 

Woody
5/16/18 8:51 p.m.

GRM Forum access is very sketchy. Phones work most of the time, texting is iffy.

Woody
5/16/18 8:54 p.m.

I’ve seen s bunch of damaged houses but so far only one crushed car (yellow Ford Focus). 

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/16/18 9:04 p.m.

The building inspector in town said over 90% of the homes on our old street were damaged by trees, and 40-50% would be total losses.  A tree destroyed our old next door neighbor's house - thankfully they weren't injured.

We did OK, no power but the generator is working well.  Not anticipating power coming back for several days.  Several roads are still impassable, those are the first priority and then they'll work at restoring power.

This is worse than any of the hurricanes, and like Woody said, the storm was only 10 minutes.  Have a whole new appreciation for the power of a tornado.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/17/18 6:59 a.m.

My son is in Norwalk, CT, trees down, one  against his CX5; if his wife was home her car would have been crushed.

Woody
5/17/18 8:35 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Glad they’re okay. 

Power company just called to say that their target to get us back online is Saturday at noon. As long as I can score five gallons of generator fuel per day I’ll be happy. 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
5/17/18 8:54 a.m.

My house was right in line with one of the severe cells. Looks like the storm wiped out all the infrastructure that PP&L had just rehung from the damage winter did to it but failed to cut back the over hanging trees, again. We're hearing probably Friday night maybe Saturday to get power back.

Worst part is that I haven't run the transfer switch into the house yet sad so there's all sorts of extension cords running around the house that my 16 month old thinks are fantastic.

On the bright side the 4KW cHonda generator is working like a champ so I at least have coffee and the cold stuff is staying cold. Work has power, but work also has a 42KW solar array.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/19/18 7:17 a.m.

Glad to hear everyone is OK!  They're working through the cleanup now, and we just got power back yesterday afternoon.  25% of the town is still without power, they're targeting Sunday for restoration.  I'd be surprised if the kids have school on Monday (school's were closed Wed-Fri).

Woody, if you need anything just let me know.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K0N2nQwNvjsxHuoJPvG92pm9qmoDgIskfpoDpjJqZHMj8vVdwpLn5Nsn1JPu0SQI