1 2 3 ... 5
GI_Drewsifer
GI_Drewsifer Reader
3/21/10 1:04 a.m.

So, yesterday I'm sitting in my office, browsing various search sites. I'm looking at the normal GRM spectrum of cars (Miata, RX7, Supra, Old Mercs, BMW, 944, etc) when two of my co-workers notice what I'm doing.

"That car is old, why would you want it?"

"It only has 180hp, that's slow"

"Why don't you get something good"

Which highlights why I hate talking about cars to most people, almost especially other "car" people. One of these guys is silly for the Honda S2k, but doesn't see how the Miata gave it Honda the excuse to build the S2k.

I was drooling over a 190E-2.3 16V (right after these idiots said "get an old M3!") when the slow comment was made. I tried to explain to them the e30 M3 was in the same ballpark of power. I tried uselessly to explain things like handling characteristics, enjoyment to drive. But it was washed out by idiotic chatter.

And I raaaaaaaaaage'd.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/21/10 1:20 a.m.
GI_Drewsifer wrote: But it was washed out by idiotic chatter. And I raaaaaaaaaage'd.

I run into this all the time when I mention that god might not be real. People cling to what they are comfortable with... they are comfortable with Jebus and Chevy 'round these parts and no stinkin' 190 was was ever worth nuthin'. 327s and the Jebus. A filibuster.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
3/21/10 1:21 a.m.
GI_Drewsifer wrote: This is why I hate people

Welcome to the club. I'm at a technical college, and finding true car people (just because you're in an automotive program does not make you a car person) is impossible. I have a group of close friends that understand, and so I try to limit my discussions with people as much as possible about cars.

GI_Drewsifer
GI_Drewsifer Reader
3/21/10 1:59 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
GI_Drewsifer wrote: But it was washed out by idiotic chatter. And I raaaaaaaaaage'd.
I run into this all the time when I mention that god might not be real. People cling to what they are comfortable with... they are comfortable with Jebus and Chevy 'round these parts and no stinkin' 190 was was ever worth nuthin'. 327s and the Jebus. A filibuster.

Religion is a tad different from cars though. Cars are a hobby, religion should be a way of life. It's hard to challenge people's beliefs. It also depends on how you come at them. Can we stick to cars though?

oldtin
oldtin Reader
3/21/10 3:01 a.m.

But cars are supposed to be disposable. Every 5-7 years you're supposed to go buy something new. It would be best if you financed it - perhaps roll it in as part of a home equity loan or better yet make sure you get a new house every few years too. Your country's economy is counting on you. There's jobs at stake - don't rock the boat, just drink the Kool-Aid and everything will be ok.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
3/21/10 5:13 a.m.

A hearty "+1" to everything in the first post! There's "car people", and then there's us.

On the flip side, I hesitantly brought up the subject of old cars as a conversation topic with one of my coworkers, (who I'd previously found a bit difficult to get along with.) And it turns out he's a genuine car nut, too. In fact, he's taken the week off to go see the old Group C cars run at a historic race meet interstate.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/21/10 6:20 a.m.

Yeah, I must agree with you drewsifer...on my desk here at work I have currently: a Buick grand national hotwheel, an R32 GTR hotwheel, an AE86 hotwheel (bigger scale than normal though...if anyone finds a true AE86 hotwheel, Im willing to pay you for it), a triumph TR6 hotwheel with roll bar, a Datsun 510 hotwheel, a Delorean DMC hotwheel and a bugeye wrx toy car. By GRM standards, at least one (if not all) of these cars could be considered greats. The "car guys" I work with are all too happy to tell me why theyre no good and what I need to replace em with. Not even the Buick is liveable in their eyes because its from the 80s. I do not talk cars at work or with my wife anymore...neither conversation validates a car unless its '79 or earlier and includes pushrod V8s

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/21/10 7:49 a.m.

Wow, sounds like my office.

Everyone there thinks you need to lease or buy a car with a $300 + payment.

I stopped giving advice on cars years ago but people keep stopping by my door to talk about whatever I'm driving (Subie's, RX7, Contour SVT, etc.). All cheap & fun iron that I work on myself.

Lucky for us the true car people are only a few clicks away on this forum.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/21/10 7:56 a.m.
GI_Drewsifer said: Cars are a hobby, religion should be a way of life.

Are you sure about that? I think it's the other way around....

To the point of the OP, we were having the "what would you buy if you won the powerball" conversation at work the other day, and I mentioned the Lancia Delta Integrale HF Evo, and everyone looked at me like I was stupid. (BTW a 190E-2.3 16 is also on that list) Here, just as an encouragement!

TJ
TJ Dork
3/21/10 8:02 a.m.

Two of my co-workers are NASCAR superfans and they can not begin to grasp why I am so interested in cars and racing, but totally ignore NASCAR. The GRM calendar on my cube wall confuses everyone....it seems that there is some sort of racing going on and it's not Jimmy Johnson.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/21/10 8:18 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: we were having the "what would you buy if you won the powerball" conversation at work the other day, and I mentioned the Lancia Delta Integrale HF Evo, and everyone looked at me like I was stupid.

thats because Lancias are stupid lol

(runs and hides)

just kidding...but kinda not

autoxrs
autoxrs Reader
3/21/10 8:20 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: To the point of the OP, we were having the "what would you buy if you won the powerball" conversation at work the other day, and I mentioned the Lancia Delta Integrale HF Evo

I like the way you think. Can you get me one as well, I prefer the plain 16v Delta Integrale.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
3/21/10 8:34 a.m.

Here's an example from the parking lot at my office:

I'm the guy who drives that funny old pointy-nose BMW...people just don't understand.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/21/10 8:42 a.m.

Ha I love it! I think I see a subie outback or the like in the mix, thats the only one Id consider besides the beemer, nicely done!

When the mouth breathers would approach my 95 'rolla in the work lot after our shift ended, and would see the 3" tach mounted to the pillar (because there never was one in the factory dash of my standard trans car ) and the "fart cannon" mounted descretley out back, they would joke "whats that for, you gonna go race this thing huh huh?" all Bevis style. They looked really perplexed when my answer would be "yes". Some people just dont understand

3/21/10 9:04 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I run into this all the time when I mention that god might not be real. People cling to what they are comfortable with... they are comfortable with Jebus and Chevy 'round these parts and no stinkin' 190 was was ever worth nuthin'. 327s and the Jebus. A filibuster.

My 2AM Scotch induced posting makes practically no sense at all.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/21/10 9:08 a.m.

I used to love setting all the beige-mobile's alarms off at work with the RX-7. People really don't understand cars.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/21/10 9:09 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I run into this all the time when I mention that god might not be real. People cling to what they are comfortable with... they are comfortable with Jebus and Chevy 'round these parts and no stinkin' 190 was was ever worth nuthin'. 327s and the Jebus. A filibuster.
My 2AM Scotch induced posting makes practically no sense at all.

Actually, I understood all of it.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
3/21/10 9:16 a.m.
P71 wrote: I used to love setting all the beige-mobile's alarms off at work with the RX-7. People really don't understand cars.

I managed to set off somebody's alarm at school the other day in the E30. I didn't see how it was possible (must have been really sensitive or something), but it was one of those idiots with the aftermarket programmable alarms. It started yelling at me in some punk kid's voice, and then a siren was going off. Everybody else in the parking lot laughed, and it was beautiful.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/21/10 9:17 a.m.

I am a classic case, I could sell my collection and have one very nice new car probably without much of a debt, but what would it be. As of now I have race cars, challengers, classic GT cars, classic sports car, pony car and even a Ranchero. That does not include the work cars.

What one car can do what these all offer, and I can work on these....

Besides, I like being the guy nobody understands. The Ohioans around me all think it is because I am Australian, they have no idea.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/21/10 9:18 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Here's an example from the parking lot at my office: I'm the guy who drives that funny old pointy-nose BMW...people just don't understand.

You'd be much better off in a beige bland mobile .

Right, I'm off trying to fix my 911...

3/21/10 9:29 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Here's an example from the parking lot at my office: I'm the guy who drives that funny old pointy-nose BMW...people just don't understand.

It looks like you and the guy in the GMC are the only ones that can tell where the sidewalk starts from behind the wheel. That right there should tell you that no one else in your school has ever driven a lowered vehicle :)

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
3/21/10 10:05 a.m.

I'd take that Legacy parked next to your Bimmer...

I get frustrated at times having to explain what Solo2 and Rallycross are to EVERYONE but in all fairness I had to have the definition of "Poker run" explained to me the other day. My love for older Subarus is similar to the love everyone else in this area has for Harleys. During my Solo2 and Rallycross days I had hacked the muffler off of my 150,000+ mile '97 Brighton 1.8, 5-speed so I really have no room to bash someone who loves anything that is loud, underpowered and leaks oil...

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
3/21/10 10:10 a.m.

I do, however, despise what Nascar has become. It was cool back when they actually used production based vehicles but these days the most fitting analogy I have heard compares watching nascar to flushing skittles down the toilet.

WilberM3
WilberM3 New Reader
3/21/10 10:14 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
GI_Drewsifer wrote: This is why I hate people
Welcome to the club. I'm at a technical college, and finding true car people (just because you're in an automotive program does not make you a car person) is impossible. I have a group of close friends that understand, and so I try to limit my discussions with people as much as possible about cars.

absolutely. when i was at my autotech school there was one kid in particular that had a ws6 transam and his description of how it handled was "like a dream", and having never driven one i was interested in his opinions/descriptions... that was as much as i ever got.

a friend of mine told me a story from college when a group of 'car people' were talking and eventually the question of why you downshift before a corner came up.... resulting in the obvious answer. its because when you downshift the wheels spin faster making your tires wider so that the car handles better.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/21/10 10:23 a.m.
WilberM3 wrote: a group of 'car people' were talking and eventually the question of why you downshift before a corner came up.... resulting in the obvious answer. its because when you downshift the wheels spin faster making your tires wider so that the car handles better.

Thats the problem with people in general...A lot of people are the smartest person they know, and often have no problem making sure you know how smart they think they are. Those same people always had a black eye when they were 14, and couldnt understand why

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nbd8NOWvtK5FBiitUYTMscz6C897cOH5RUdhQGGg0pUDxBmATYZx8JzYHXDXvNNU