1 2
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/15/18 7:14 a.m.

Consider this post a warning. If you don't like pork, turn back now. If you can't handle raw meat before breakfast turn back now. 

Warning over.

This is how is starts, 6 gallons of black cherry chunks. I started a couple hours ago because I needed to burn out the smoker. The next post will have the meat pictures, but I want to talk about the process first, to fill in this post. 

I'll be using my trusty, rusty, old, side fired New Braunfels today. Cooking area of 30 gallons, 18 gallon, over sized, fire box. 

I started this morning with a burn out. 2 full unlit charcoal chimneys into the coal holder, followed by one lit one. Open the air the whole way and let it go to 400 at the grates, and hold for an hour. This burned off all the old nasty stuff, and made cleaning the grates much easier to boot. 

While that was burning, I pulled the head out of the fridge and got a rub on it. I'm not thrilled the head was skinned, but it did make seasoning options easier. I went with my sweet heat rub. Left the head in the counter to start creeping towards room temp and let the rub cake a bit. 

The hocks came out of the brine yesterday, I left them unrinsed and unwrapped in the fridge 24 hours to dry up a bit. They can stay in the fridge because they don't need to go in until noon. 

I'll be updating this thread all day pretty much like a live stream, including all of the non cooking related things I do just to prove that a dialed in and properly setup stick burner doesn't need you to slave over it all day. Unfortunately, something is interfering with my wireless thermometer, so sitting inside playing video games is out, but I have other stuff to do. 

RevRico
9/15/18 7:21 a.m.

Now he's got his rub on and doesn't feel so naked. 

I actually ducked up my first batch and had to make another. All spice berries are NOT a substitute for peppercorns. 

And that's where we're sitting now until I get my temp dropped and stabilized. 

I'm looking to average 230F until the cheeks hit 165F, or 7pm when everyone shows up, whichever takes longer. 

RevRico
9/15/18 7:32 a.m.

Look at the size of those hocks. Easily double the size of any I've ever bought in store

RevRico
9/15/18 7:53 a.m.

850am, temp a stable 240. Handful of wood chunks added to get the smoke started. He's got a probe in his left cheek and a clove of garlic in the killing wound. And now, we wait. 

RevRico
9/15/18 8:56 a.m.

And that's new rear shocks on the ranger done. 

Temps are still steady as always, almost due to add more wood judging by the color of the smoke though.

Now where the hell did that 15mm run off to? Just had it in my hand...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/15/18 9:03 a.m.

I'm a PETA member, and I approve!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/18 9:08 a.m.

Mmm, tasty. If you were closer I'd invite myself for dinner. 

RevRico
9/15/18 9:48 a.m.

Forum members are always welcome here. Fasted and wvumtnbiker have come through before, they're welcome again if they're local.

This is a little concerning. I wonder if being skinless it's going to cook really fast? Or if I'm just in for a hell of a stall, which usually happens when the temp goes up too fast. 

I'll be opening it to check on it at noon when I put the shanks on, might need to move or add a thermometer. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/15/18 10:27 a.m.

Looks good. If I didn’t already have plans for dinner for SWMBO’s birthday I would head down after work. You’re less than 5 hours away. 

RevRico
9/15/18 11:10 a.m.

Well it's noon, time to add the shanks. I put rub on two of them just to see what happens.

I walked away for an hour, went inside to get a drink and accidentally started cleaning up. Dropped down to 200, and almost 130. Hmm. 

Check the fire box, not smoldering half burned chunks. Needs more intake, shake some ashes and open the intake to half. I might need to add some charcoal later. 

The cheek said 130, so i changed cheeks, and got a meatier bit to check, 120. 

I'll worry about it at 3 when I flip the hocks, although it does look a bit dry on the surface. I might need to wrap it, but 3 o'clock. 

When adding charcoal to a cook, add lit charcoal, don't just dump it straight in. It helps with keeping the temperature stable, and helps to keep that first lit charcoal smell out of the food. 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
9/15/18 11:13 a.m.

Holy crap my mouth is watering.  Piggy deliciousness.

RevRico
9/15/18 12:53 p.m.

finally done with the shaky old table with the shelf system on it. The shop has Bluetooth now. Honestly, sounds a little worse, but it's louder, which is more important to me in the outdoor shop. 

I added charcoal about 130pm. I've been holding golden 230 since. The smoke is a little thick, but I'm more concerned about the meat temps. Seem to be racing to 165.  

Everything may just stall soon though, I expect it astound 145F as the fat starts to break down. 

RevRico
9/15/18 1:43 p.m.

3 o clock. (Ok berk off 240). Flipped the hocks, decided screw the temp they're staying in until at least 5. 

The head looks n better than it photographs currently, not wrapping it yet, maybe around 4. That I am watching the temp. 145 at current. 

I'm done being productive today. There's some stuff needs dragged to the garbage can, then shower time.

I laid down to take a nap at 3pm yesterday, woke up at 1 am and have been up and running since, which is why I started so early today and might not being making as much sense. 

Also, the smoked salt is done. Picture to come later

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
9/15/18 2:51 p.m.

I'm curious. Having never been involved in the preparation or consumption of an animal's head, much less a pig's, what do you eat on/in there? 

RevRico
9/15/18 3:09 p.m.

It's all edible, I guess. I don't like eyes and brains, but some people do. I'm curious if anyone will try them tonight. 

The jowls are a more flavorful bacon, the cheeks which are delicious on every animal I've ever had, the high twitch muscles behind the eyes, the tongue although I've heard there's not a lot of meat there. 

I was really hoping for crispy ears and skin as well, but I'll make due and ask them to leave the skin on next time. 

There's a surprising amount of meat there, and most of it is marbled with deliciousness. When I got the half head in Cleveland I made 4 meals out of it, even snacking on it between the meals when it was in the fridge. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/15/18 3:10 p.m.
pheller said:

I'm curious. Having never been involved in the preparation or consumption of an animal's head, much less a pig's, what do you eat on/in there? 

I’ve never prepared it, and to my knowledge never had pig head, but I can tell you that the tastiest part of the cow is the tongue. The cheek meat is wonderful as well, along with cabeza—which means head, but generally includes parts of cheek, lips, maybe tongue, and sometimes other parts. Usually as a gringo you’ll just experience it on tacos. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/15/18 3:11 p.m.

Oh, brain is something I don’t care for at all. Kinda slimy and tasteless 

RevRico
9/15/18 4:39 p.m.

I've wrapped the head, it's at 160 now, technically done, but the longer it stays there the better.

Not the prettiest picture of the day, but an update none the less.

I almost forgot the smoked salt. Most of it is still white, but the flavor is there. This should last me another year or so. 

Also, starting to look like it's just going to be me and Nissan tech tonight. Good thing I prepped for leftovers. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/18 4:48 p.m.

Somehow I was born without the genetic male imperative to smoke meats.  I love eating them in pretty much any variety though, so a big +1 to everything in this thread.

RevRico
9/15/18 5:19 p.m.

165 at 615. Neat coincidence, but very glad I started 3 hours earlier than originally planned.

Nothing is going to change at this point, might not even add any more wood. 

Next update post will be the results, probably an hour or so. 

daeman
daeman Dork
9/15/18 5:29 p.m.

Looking tasty there Rev. Nicely done.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/15/18 5:32 p.m.

Looks delicious!

You ever smoke any peppercorns? McCormick used to offer smokehouse pepper that was amazing, especially on homemade jerky. I haven't done any smoking this year but will definitely do some salt and pepper on my next run. Thoughts on wood choice? Hickory? Fruit wood? I am guessing these are positioned high in the smoker or away from the hottest area.

RevRico
9/15/18 5:53 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

I never smoked peppercorns before. I will when I do my hams in a couple weeks, it sounds like a great idea. I usually just fill the gaps with garlic, eggs, or whole peppers. 

Way way back, like 04-05 we were building strip malls. One day our steel load came in on untreated oak 4x4s. 3 truck loads later, they were all here, and have been what I use 90% of the time since. I'm running out of useable wood though, so  I'll be getting a load of maple before too long from my buddy who cut down a big one. 

Today, being a special occasion, I used most of a piece of black cherry from the guy that sold me the cobra rims I had on the Vic. I usually don't have easy access to fruit wood unless I pay for it. I do prefer it to hardwoods for softer things like fish and birds though.

And to be really random, I've been reading about a month long waiting list for a $75 smoked watermelon "ham" in New York City. I plan on figuring that out next year, along with cantaloupe and honey dew. 

RevRico
9/15/18 6:41 p.m.

The ham hocks are definitely done. 

I tried to pick it up by the bone

When I picked it up with tongs. 

Holy freaking fall apart tender, obviously. Finally cooled down enough to try. I can definitely taste the brine, but it's good. Nowhere near as salty as I expected. 

The head is coming soon, hold tight. 

RevRico
9/15/18 7:00 p.m.

Even without the skin, it developed a great bark. 

It's hard to get good pictures because of how dark it is and the LED lights, but if you look closely, you can see where the meat has pulled back from the bone. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G1ZG2zN2086P7WqCSnvRC7ICElATAX3AtPwVjIOxk2Q652DzEOwmx5b83kXu9Iux