pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/18 9:08 a.m.

My daughter is amazing.  She never got less than an A since pre-school, was the lead in all the school plays and was active in all sorts of other things.   She graduated third in her class and gave the best commencement speech ever.  And she did this all on her own...we are not helicopter parents or tiger moms.  

Her dream was to go to CMU - a top University with selective admission and a low acceptance rate.  She killed the ACT and SAT and was accepted through early admission with no problem, and she got enough of a financial package to make it happen.  She even got the best Freshman apartment on campus with great roommates.  

Like any Dad, I was worried about her first semester.  No matter how good of a student you are, there are lots of distractions once on your own.  She stayed active in the student theater group and met some great people there.  They are social and have some parties, but not the kind of fraternity debauchery that I was known for back in the day.  (Thank goodness.)  She recognized that her classes were quite difficult, and some were designed to weed out the weak, but for the first time ever she was OK with getting a B to avoid excessive stress and lack of sleep.  I was very proud of her attitude and outlook.

She got her grades back, and she achieved straight As, a 4.0 her first semester!  I couldn't be more proud of her.  

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/2/18 9:25 a.m.

That's fantastic. I wish I'd had half that much self dicipline when I started college!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/2/18 9:25 a.m.

woohoo!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/2/18 9:48 a.m.

Great job. I'm a firm believer that kids learn by watching their parents. 

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
1/2/18 10:01 a.m.

Awesome. You have good reasons to be proud of her!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
1/2/18 10:26 a.m.

The great thing to me is she gets good grades and has social skills.  

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/2/18 10:28 a.m.

That is a worrying time for a parent, sounds like she has her head on straight and understands that she is in control of the outcome of the rest of her life.  

My oldest is two years out of college, working on her masters and is getting me some discounted tickets to NAIAS from her employer, FIC. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
1/2/18 11:15 a.m.

It is really satisfying? rewarding? (Not sure of the proper word) to see your kid do well.  Maybe its just a relief, when you see so many young people who just seem lost.

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
1/2/18 12:05 p.m.

yesyes

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/2/18 4:26 p.m.

Great job!   Now start mentioning the idea of graduating in 7 semesters.  

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/2/18 7:16 p.m.

Congratulations - you should be very proud of the daughter you've raised!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XZrsPyOvNf4s5OzYGx0LJ3cyABsjfzH5iP2UJ9a81rr0uzkBEHGtSWlLlCnQonpm