mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/5/14 7:49 p.m.

Any advice? Turns out the local parts dispensary has a full time position driving one of their E36 M3box delivery aveos within 5 miles of home. This is ideal. Any advice, things to say, people to talk to etc, to get me to the head of the line for this one? I want this gig. Drive around, listen to music, get to see cool shops? I don't even care about pay.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
5/5/14 8:08 p.m.

This is right up my alley. I've even got a clean driving record. Call me interested as well.

stroker
stroker Dork
5/5/14 8:11 p.m.

Yellow hexagon?

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
5/5/14 8:18 p.m.
stroker wrote: Yellow hexagon?

Napa, I believe.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/5/14 8:42 p.m.

^winner winner chicken dinner.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
5/5/14 11:14 p.m.

They use aveos?

it's all small pickups around here.

I interviewed for one of those jobs once, didn't get it because I'm not a girl.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/14 11:41 p.m.

Be prepared to work E36 M3ty shifts, weekends, and make minimum wage. You will go to the same shop fifteen times a day. They will return stuff and E36 M3 all over you.

That said, it's a fun job (not that I deliver) and if you can wiggle up to counter or jump ship to a rod shop it will be worth it.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/5/14 11:49 p.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: They use aveos? it's all small pickups around here. I interviewed for one of those jobs once, didn't get it because I'm not a girl.

Yeah they have several Daewoo whatever is the aveo here. Trucks too.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
5/6/14 2:00 a.m.

I worked at a Napa warehouse one summer when I was home from college stocking parts. When I returned to school I stopped in at the local store to see if they needed a driver. They liked that I had some car knowledge, knew the different product lines, could prove that I show up to work on time, could pass a drug test, & wouldn't wreck the delivery truck. I was hired along with a hot girl.

The shops were of course disappointed when I showed up instead of the hot girl but appreciated that I inspected their delivery before dropping it off....i.e. If there were six spark plugs ordered make sure they are all the same and there are no empty or mispackaged boxes.

The boss was rather pissed when hot girl did a hit and run on a car in a parking lot when doing a delivery. Hit and run in a truck with the store phone number on the side in the parking lot of a lunch spot nowhere near her delivery....not bueno for her continued employment.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
5/6/14 3:07 a.m.

Judging by the people behind the counter, I'd guess NAPA is the least E36 M3ty parts store chain to work for.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
5/6/14 4:51 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Judging by the people behind the counter, I'd guess NAPA is the least E36 M3ty parts store chain to work for.

Not necessarily. NAPA stores can be independently owned or company owned. There's a world of difference between the way they're operated.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/6/14 6:04 a.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: They use aveos? it's all small pickups around here.

It's PT Cruisers here.

PT Cruisers do not tolerate park-by-feel. I've seen the radiator supports so mangled that the fan had a hole smashed into it by the transmission.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
5/6/14 6:29 a.m.

Just yesterday, I saw a parts house (not this one) running a Fiat 500. Versas are popular with AZ here.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
5/6/14 8:03 a.m.

Not a fan of NAPA locally because of their counter people--terrible. The Carquest is probably best in that department, but their prices are sky high. I usually suffer with the masses at Advance Auto.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/6/14 8:32 a.m.

I have two CLOSE choices. Napa and Oreilly. They're within throwing distance of each other. I long gave up on the counter monkeys being helpful, I went off on why in some other thread. I walk in, tell them what I need, wait til I get it, and leave, end of story. If they seem cool, I might ask for some LED muffler bearings or something to make a joke, but other than that, it's in and out. Either way.... doesn't matter to me. I wanna drive locally for a job, and this is one way to do it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/14 9:01 a.m.

Around here, they run the cheapest little used E36M3boxes they can get. Not the most luxurious rides. But it must be a reasonable job, the drivers always seem to be in a decent mood. Almost no turnover on the counter staff either. I'm guessing it's a well-managed store.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
5/6/14 10:28 a.m.

My local NAPA's. Two. are owned by a car guy.

He races Spec Ford in the summer and ice races a Rabbit.

Service in the stores fits.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6eCK8MQuUbS5MQ08PSIpJ9IsnJBspUMAwLrcEWqqgTSN70uhENBvvCfgxqJnmL4o