CJ (He's Just an FS)
CJ (He's Just an FS) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/19/20 2:08 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/19/20 2:47 p.m.

If you thumbs up you can see how many thumbs down there are

This isn't Facebook, there's no need to get all hung up on pluses and minuses.

In the real world, do you really care what other people think or say? Your opinion or thumbs down won't change their mind. 

Best bet is to just scroll on by. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/20/20 1:20 p.m.

I know people who all they talk about are how many likes they get.  It's like they think they get paid by likes.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/20/20 2:09 p.m.
RevRico said:

If you thumbs up you can see how many thumbs down there are

This isn't Facebook, there's no need to get all hung up on pluses and minuses.

I was actually going to suggest getting rid of the thumbs up.

Those are the sort subtle (and super powerful) psychological feedback mechanisms that have turned social media into such a s-show and subsequently are doing huge damage to our society. 

At least post are not being officially ranked by them. Then you would get the massive tyranny of the majority that Reddit has.  (Those poor bastards that think Toyota's are performance cars would never have their voice heard) cheeky

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/20/20 2:43 p.m.
CJ (He's Just an FS) said:

I just left a thread where a comment was made that was in so egregiously bad taste that I actually hit thumbs down.  Obviously, it had little effect.

Seems to me that posters of ignorant, insulting comments deserve something more than their comment to simply receive a less positive total.

Mods, is there any way allow the counts to show total up votes and total down votes?

*Steps off stump*

afaik, no.  I think "total down and up votes being displayed" is more a Tom and/or Dev thing, than a Mod thing.

I'll agree, that I don't think showing bothcounts will be good for the forum.  I reckon if there's a significant number of both... it should maybe show "Err"?

Two suggestions, if you don't think a "downvote" is enough,....  Either post it in the Canoe Reporting thread.  Or... if you'd prefer a level of discretion... shoot a DM/PM to a mod.  I'd specifically suggest Mazdeuce, or ECM... they've got a good 'feel of things', and a way with words to smooth things over... plus, a level of gravitas that I reckon I'll have a ways to go before being in sight of.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/20/20 6:02 p.m.

I have accidentally  upped or downed threads in the past and wish there was a way to fix it. We can get rid of the function in my opinion.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bT21Rur9fvnagwUcxRyhwkhE1tPi5wO6GHuwM36d6OtD0C3PJ5ZR0wXtZmztTI0e