1 2
Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/25/18 9:07 p.m.

I got new quartz countertops and a new sink today.  Getting ready to install a subway tile backsplash.  I haven't decided exactly on which tile, but something like this.

I have done a couple tile floors with great success thanks to the guidance you all gave me, but I've never done glass and never done a wall.  How do I edge it?  How do I get it to adhere to drywall?  Procedures? Tips?

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
10/25/18 9:26 p.m.

I've torn out a bunch of tile backsplash. Never installed it though. 

Sorry. 

Bump.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/25/18 9:42 p.m.

It’s pretty easy. 

Apply mastic to the wall with a toothed trowel. Usually a 5/16” V-tooth, but follow the directions on the glue. 

Only apply about 4-5 square feet at a time. The stuff gets stiff quickly. 

Your subway tile is gonna have tabs that keep it properly spaced. 

I always take a bunch of tiles, stick them to the wall- probably about 2 rows. Then I put my level on the top of them and adjust all of them together. Yes, this will get glue on your level. Once I have a level start, I just stack the tiles on top of each other. Then fill in the cuts at the ends. 

There are edge tiles, but they are expensive. Honestly, an awful lot of tile jobs leave the raw edge showing, then run a bead of caulk against the wall. 

Let it set overnight before grouting. Use unsanded grout. 

That’s about it!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/25/18 9:45 p.m.

Those red tiles will look terrific with that quartz. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/25/18 9:46 p.m.

BTW, I start with whole tiles at the counter. Put all your cuts up high under the cabinets where they won’t be seen easily, even if it leaves small awkward cuts. 

No Time
No Time Dork
10/26/18 5:21 a.m.

Besides the typical 1/2 step, there are other patterns can be used to hide irregularities in the walls or just make it different than the typical subway tile installation. 

Wrapping the pattern around the corner also can add a nice touch. This was a smaller change from flat to sloped ceiling, but shows the idea:

No Time
No Time Dork
10/26/18 5:45 a.m.

Since your using glass, you should see about some diamond sanding sponges to at least round the edges of any cuts. When I did the shower I bought grits ranging from 50-3500 and at edgiest I turned the cut edge into the field to help hide them.  

This photo shows the edges of the tile around the niches, and there are cuts hiding between them that were rounded and polished by hand after cutting:

There is also metal or plastic  edging that can be used with different profiles and materials (SS, AL). There’s 1/4 round on the edges of the tile on the right in this photo:

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/26/18 6:11 a.m.

Depending on how complicated it is, get some of the brown floor protection paper and lay it out on a garage floor. Draw your wall and precut everything. Then work in small sections when you are setting the tile on the wall. This is what I did with our backsplash because the tile was very intricate. Mark all outlets and switches and you'll know where to cut.  For edging we used schluter (sp?) strips. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/18 7:10 a.m.

If there are no edge tiles(bullnose) available I go with one of the metal edges from Schluter.

i’ve done hundreds of them, the worst was when I got there and she changed her mind from normal subway layout to herringbone.  Turned a 2 hour job into a 9 hour one. 

Curtis
10/26/18 8:16 a.m.

Thanks for the tips.  Since I have little experience with it, I didn't know what would properly stick to the drywall.  I got suggestions ranging from "install cement board with mud, then back butter the tiles with mud...." and that was all a little intense.

Any specific prep for the drywall?  Some of the paper peeled off because the previous install used way too much silicone.  You might also see there is some mold where some moisture got in behind the old backsplash.  Just bleach it and maybe sand it to get loose paper off?  maybe a portland drywall mud instead of pre-mix?

I have seen installs using J-channel as an edge but I don't like the look.  Fortunately, the sink side will be easy.  The left side has door casing and the right side will butt up to the wall beside the stove.  Then I'll just take it all the way up to the cabinets.  The other wall will need some kind of edging.... or I could just not do that wall.  It's not a wet wall, nor does it have any appliances so it doesn't technically need a backsplash.  I suppose I could do it with some kind of millwork on the edges.  Fortunately I really took my time leveling the cabinets so I shouldn't have any odd cuts

Curtis
10/26/18 8:18 a.m.
SVreX said:

Those red tiles will look terrific with that quartz. 

Thanks.  I have mostly red small appliances; toaster, coffee maker.  I also have some red Le Cruset, then the accent color is about halfway between grass green and turquoise.  I'm going to try to find the right green for the walls if it doesn't seem to overwhelming.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/26/18 9:10 a.m.

In reply to Curtis :

No, definitely not mud or cement board. 

Mastic will adhere to drywall just fine. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/18 9:44 a.m.

Normal pre made tile adhesive from lowesdepot will do you fine.  I’d repair the spots where paper is gone with a skim of drywall compound.  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/26/18 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Curtis :

To clarify...

By “paper”, I am assuming you mean the paper surface of the drywall. I agree with Patrick- patch a little mud, hit that mildew with Chlorox.  

If there’s wallpaper, it’s got to go. 

Curtis
10/28/18 1:00 p.m.

Good catch... I was referring to the drywall paper, not wallpaper.

Ordering the tile today.  Thanks y'all

Curtis
11/14/18 7:42 p.m.

Curtis
11/14/18 7:44 p.m.

Curtis
11/14/18 7:54 p.m.

Tile up. Grout soon.

It will have charcoal grout, unless I try charcoal and think that tan/brown is better.  Then the walls will be somewhere between celery and sage.

Only other project I want to do in there is run a gas line to that part of the basement for a gas stove and it will be done.  I thought about crown molding for the cabinets, but I think I like the sharp angles of the modern look.  Angled crown might be too classic, unless I just cut some 45 degree strips without the frou frou millwork.  Kinda make my own quarter round, but it would be "quarter flat".

Coming along nicely, thanks to you guys.

Curtis
11/15/18 11:49 a.m.

Knowing that my countertop was dead level I just used the little X spacers for the whole thing.  Nothing got crooked or off during the whole install.  I did discover how unlevel the microwave is though.  Those were the only gnarly cuts.

Discovered a neat trick too.  I had the right blade in the wet saw but it was chipping the glass a lot.  I just ran a strip of packing tape along the tile before cutting and it helped a lot.

I used AcrylPro mastic.  Seemed to go well with minimal fuss and a long working time.

AcrylPro Ceramic Tile Mastic ARL4000

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/15/18 12:59 p.m.

Looking great!!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/18 1:06 p.m.

Too late to tell you that the mastic, grout and such stuff sold in most big box stores is crap.  My wife works for a company that makes the stuff the pros use  and it is night and day better.  If you have a tile store in the area, check with them for better options for everything behind/under the tiles. 

Curtis
11/15/18 3:50 p.m.

Good to know.  Seems to be gripping with the force of Thor right now.  I even had a tough time getting the little X spacers out in some places. Time will tell how long it lasts.

The grout I have is the same stuff I used in my bathroom floor about 6 years ago and it is holding up well... of course, that's only 6 years.  What will it look like in 30?  I guess that's the ex-wife's problem now, cause she got the house :)

I haven't grouted yet.  I can return this stuff and see what I find at a real flooring store.  Thanks for the heads up.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
11/15/18 5:00 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

Too late to tell you that the mastic, grout and such stuff sold in most big box stores is crap.  My wife works for a company that makes the stuff the pros use  and it is night and day better.  If you have a tile store in the area, check with them for better options for everything behind/under the tiles. 

Any brand names to share? I’ll be doing my backsplash shortly, glass tiles over hardiboard. 

Curtis
12/3/18 11:30 a.m.

Grouted and sealed.  Paint done.  Project done.

Curtis
12/3/18 11:34 a.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
85fZPecEJveXqH3BIQhc2lbnhPvFoeJWrAOjMBpMXrs6387vBZ6D4QNVwiX0pvv8