RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/2/20 6:02 p.m.

Is there a timer I could use in place of a light switch, or even inline between the switch and fan to keep an exhaust fan running?

In my basement bathroom, the exhaust fan can't keep up with the steam from a shower. This results in my leaving the switch on all night because I forgot, or having damp well everything, towels, floor mats, etc. 

The light and fan are on separate switches, which is great, but all I've found so far are either DC timers or the plugin kind. 

I guess I could upgrade the exhaust fan, but changing the switch seems a hell of a lot cheaper and easier. I've also never been impressed with CFM ratings of bathroom exhaust fans, and have trouble finding a number I consider reasonable. 

I could, I guess, spend a bunch of money on an inline humidity switch, but in my greenhouse experience I'm better off throwing the money right in the trash. Might work better in a bathroom instead of a greenhouse, but still a lot more work and cost. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
7/2/20 6:10 p.m.

I installed one a couple years ago for the same reason. Ordered from Amazon - digital, push-button with different presets up to 60 minutes. Seems to work fine.

Not this, but something like it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/2/20 6:15 p.m.

Digital pool timer. Sets to run pumps, 110v, on/off as you need it. Fits in a single gang box. 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/2/20 7:10 p.m.

I used these for my bathroom fans:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/leviton-decora-preset-60-minute-digital-countdown-timer/1000742640

But even 60m wasn't enough.  Then I changed to much bigger bathroom fans (3x recommended size).

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/2/20 7:18 p.m.

There are tons of these:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Broan-NuTone-15-Amp-60-Minute-In-Wall-Dial-Timer-with-Rocker-Switch-White-63W/202905920

google 'bathroom fan timer switch' and you'll get a bazillion options

imgon
imgon HalfDork
7/2/20 7:25 p.m.

Or have one switch do both? Chances are there is no window for venting so running the fan wouldn't hurt and it goes off with the light. You can either splice the wires in the fan or the switch  box..

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/2/20 7:32 p.m.

I have one that fits in a Decora switchplate and it's digital.  Preset buttons for 10m, 30m, 60m, 2h, and 4h, as well as untimed on / off.  It was about $20 at the Home Boax Store, I forget which one, but probably Lowes.  Works great.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/2/20 7:39 p.m.

My bathroom fans were originally wired with the light, but the fan needed to run much longer to clear out the moisture. I didn't like having to remember to go turn them off.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/2/20 9:08 p.m.

yes, I have my bathroom fans on a timed switch.  Makes life much easier.  I bought mine at Home Depot I think

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/3/20 9:52 p.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:

yes, I have my bathroom fans on a timed switch.  Makes life much easier.  I bought mine at Home Depot I think

This.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/4/20 6:56 a.m.

Google bathroom fan humidity sensor.

Home depot has a bunch of fans with it built in.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QcBdUaJ84q47Y7TnoujVBRfTS1ucv06n3N9YZQreUChVEzcurhJQQDUfDmvXkgmp