1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 ... 213
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/20 9:37 a.m.
Saron81 said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

The crankcase pressure sensor isn't uncommon. It comes in the pcv hose. 

And what an expensive little piece of plastic it is!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/20 8:48 p.m.

TIL that I’ve owned a brand new slide hammer for about four years. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/17/20 9:05 p.m.

TIL how my ES Miata performs on a fresh set of rivals. 

buenavides1
buenavides1 New Reader
5/17/20 10:06 p.m.

TIL how to fix the car a/c through YT tutorials. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/20 10:10 p.m.
Woody said:

TIL that I’ve owned a brand new slide hammer for about four years. 

Before or after buying a new one?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/18/20 9:33 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

My SSM Miata got very tailhappy particularly under braking.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
5/18/20 9:47 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I was never much enamored with how the BFGs performed on my Miata. The irony being that it is currently on a second set of BFG Rivals. But when you get up to 245/40R15, your options are limited.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/20 12:28 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/18/20 1:23 p.m.
Duke said:
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

My SSM Miata got very tailhappy particularly under braking.

Oh, I spun it a bunch of times on some of the three used sets that came with the car. It's got a lot of rear brake bias due to the pad choices, so trail braking it requires finesse. I need to plan where I'm releasing the brakes as much as when to start braking, maybe even more so. With the fresh tires, it didn't seem as eager to snap spin.

Every car is different too. This is a 99 hard S, konis, RB hollow FSB. The tires are 225/45-15 on 6 inch wheels that weigh about 8 or 9 pounds.

wae (Forum Supporter)
wae (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/19/20 9:06 p.m.

It just occurred to me why Matthew McConaughey is in the Lincoln commercials.  In my defense, I am just now watching the movie for the first time.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/19/20 9:48 p.m.

In reply to wae (Forum Supporter) :

Wierd,  I'm having trouble making the Wooderson connection.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/20/20 8:44 a.m.
wae (Forum Supporter) said:

It just occurred to me why Matthew McConaughey is in the Lincoln commercials.  In my defense, I am just now watching the movie for the first time.

Apparently he writes and directs them, too.  He has a decent little side business creating commercials, even ones he's not in.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
5/20/20 5:04 p.m.

The USS Franklin CV-13 was not named after Benjamin Franklin  but the battle Franklin Tennessee fought during the war betwixt the states

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/20 6:42 p.m.

During a run to pick up a part today, I learned that Toyota has a warmed over TRD version of the Avalon.

I also learned that this will be the last time I ever go to that dealership. The price quoted on the phone and the price charged at the register were different. I politely pointed this out and was asked if I wanted it or not.

wae (Forum Supporter)
wae (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/20/20 6:45 p.m.

TIL that my autodarkening welding helmet doesn't.  It took me a minute to realize why my eyes were hurting.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
5/21/20 9:27 a.m.

TIL that GM's fix for the side detection modules corroding out doesn't work. Just had a Cruze with inop side detection that kept blowing the fuse for the radio screen/controls/HVAC controls as well. Looked at the history and saw it had the side detection modules and harness replaced and the new covers installed just 14000 miles ago. Pulled the cover off the one side, removed the module from the bracket, and yup, module case was all swollen and cracked from internal corrosion.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/21/20 10:18 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) said:

During a run to pick up a part today, I learned that Toyota has a warmed over TRD version of the Avalon.

Proof of Appleseed's Theorem that black wheels on black cars look like ass.

Woody
5/24/20 9:22 p.m.

TIL that Randy Quaid was featured as a roadie in the Dire Straits video Heavy Fuel... for no apparent reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EExahMsBoWM

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/24/20 9:58 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) :

Back in the day before computers an import parts guy would play that game - quote you "about $25" on the phone then charge you $29 only 45 minutes later.  When called on it they played the "who did you talk to" game.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/24/20 10:44 p.m.
pilotbraden said:

The USS Franklin CV-13 was not named after Benjamin Franklin  but the battle Franklin Tennessee fought during the war betwixt the states

The ship that wouldn't die. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/20 10:59 a.m.

TIL that the Mahle 81mm pistons from an Audi MC turbocharged 10 valve engine from the late 1980s, and the Mahle 81mm pistons from a Volvo B5244T5 turbocharged 20 valve engine from the late 2000s, have the same ring pack spacing and the same height from the rings to the base of the piston dish.

The Volvo pistons look modern, though, while the Audi pistons look 1950s.

And the Audi rods are actually much thicker in the beam.  This surprised me because the Audi rods are expected to handle about 80ft-lb per cylinder but the Volvo rods are good to beyond 100ft-lb per cylinder.  I wonder if the longer stroke of the Volvo (93.2 vs. 86.4) has something to do with it, less cylinder pressure needed for the same torque output?

The Audi rods are forgings, while the Volvos are cracked powdered-metal.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
5/27/20 12:18 p.m.

TIL (last week actually, on a 2100 mile vacation) the following:

Mrs Salty will argue with anyone (and anything) including the lady inside the GPS

Armored possums suck as bad as regular possums at crossing the road

The more duct taped, flopping panels on your E36 M3box, the faster you drive it

90% of drivers should be flogged

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/27/20 3:46 p.m.

TIL about armored possums. LOL!

Woody
5/27/20 4:12 p.m.

TIL that Dr. Anthony Fauci was captain of his high school basketball team.

MTechnically (Forum Supporter)
MTechnically (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/28/20 9:00 p.m.

TIL that the faint smell in my basement that I had been chalking up to dead mice was in fact my chest freezer kicking the bucket with and unused turkey from Thanksgiving. One of the worst smells I have encountered. Would not recommend.

1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JQS4IOoqBpeZJ0ZjvzLOnpxEegNTGY3PBcrKSWlWfv1icHMn2cLKI5xkQ5IQOqWW