1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 ... 213
Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
6/14/20 4:26 p.m.

TIL that Max Webster backed up Rush 200 times, including in most of our local high school and dance halls.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/14/20 4:47 p.m.
Peabody said:

TIL that Max Webster backed up Rush 200 times, including in most of our local high school and dance halls.

I learned in the late 70s that Max Webster put on a better show than Rush, while they were finding their new way with the 2112 your.

Edit: I also enjoyed Cheap Trick more than Kiss.

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
6/14/20 7:39 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Approved but only if you do the Batman ones...laugh

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
6/14/20 7:46 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I read that here.

That tour was the All the world's a stage album and apparently the first night of recording went so poorly they couldn't use anything

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/14/20 8:44 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

2112 was a massive departure from their first three albums, and for me, a terrible disappointment.  I didn't buy another Rush album until Clockwork Angels.

I appreciate most of their stuff now, but Peart was just too literary for a farm boy.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/20 7:27 p.m.

TIL you can adopt a bench in Central Park and getting a little plaque on it. We spent a lot of time there when we started dating so I briefly thought about  one until I got the price. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/16/20 9:19 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to Peabody :

2112 was a massive departure from their first three albums, and for me, a terrible disappointment.  I didn't buy another Rush album until Clockwork Angels.

I appreciate most of their stuff now, but Peart was just too literary for a farm boy.

Huh. A Rush fan who doesn't like 2112. I suppose that's no more odd than me, a Metallica fan, who's favorite album is St. Anger. 
Here we sit, strange as we are, but at least not alone in our strangeness. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/16/20 9:47 p.m.
barefootskater said:
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to Peabody :

Huh. A Rush fan who doesn't like 2112. I suppose that's no more odd than me, a Metallica fan, who's favorite album is St. Anger. 
Here we sit, strange as we are, but at least not alone in our strangeness. 

Fly by Night and Rush were traditional rock.  2112 was artsy and high concept.  Too different for a 16 year old dirt farmer.  Pre-Peart:

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/16/20 10:00 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Fly by night, working man, limelight, spirit of radio, some others were on repeat on all the local fm rock stations when I was 16. I HATED Rush, until a friend introduced me to Hemispheres and 2112, though I was much older then. Different strokes I guess. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/17/20 2:37 a.m.

Untill.I was 16-ish, I thought Geddy Lee was a woman based on the voice. 

Same goes for the lead of Silver Sun Pickups. No way, I mean, no WAY that voice is coming out of a dude, yet here we are.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/20 4:56 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

Those are all on repeat on the rock stations in Cleveland today.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
6/17/20 7:23 a.m.

I preferred the progressive music of 2112 but wouldn't listen the later stuff when the lyrics became dominant and radio friendly.  It never really occurred to me but where I work now the radio is always on in the shop, tuned to one of the local rock stations, and you never hear a Rush song. I've seen Rush so many times but only owned one album, All the world's a stage.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/17/20 8:48 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

I'm jealous- they're one band I'd LOVE to see but have never gotten the chance since really coming to appreciate their music. Their last tour, the closest stop was like a 6 hour drive away...

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/17/20 9:42 a.m.

TIL that while hunting for a crashed airplane up in Maine, Clive Cussler learned he was near Stephen King's house, so he went there and pounded on the door and screamed "King, get out here, it's Cussler!" He said he always remained uncertain if Stephen King was not home or if he was persona non grata because he never answered the door.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
6/17/20 12:52 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

I'm sure it was a local thing, and it didn't matter what crowd I was hanging with at the time, when they came around, you just got tickets and everyone went.

My kids were over last weekend and, while looking for something in storage, one of them found a few pins from the last show we all went to together in 2004 at the Molson amphitheatre.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
6/22/20 11:00 a.m.

You can buy a headstone off Amazon.  I don't see my UPS driver being happy about delivering that. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/22/20 11:06 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

TIL you can adopt a bench in Central Park and getting a little plaque on it. We spent a lot of time there when we started dating so I briefly thought about  one until I got the price. 

I've always been curious about that sort of thing. If you don't mind sharing, what was the dollar figure?

After seeing many of these things at my college (now Alma Mater) I always swore that if I got wealthy I would dedicate a rock in the middle of one of the main sidewalks that stuck up about an inch. Just enough to trip all the freshmen.

EDIT. Nevermind, quick Google turned up the number $10,000.  Dios Mio!

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/22/20 11:28 a.m.

TIL that there is a petition to change the name of Columbus, Ohio to Flavortown. Thanks for bringing my attention to that Wally.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
6/22/20 2:14 p.m.

After reading this I am aware some of it seemed insensitive.  It is not intended that way, but without my conscience my filter is a bit off but I couldn't reword all of it better than it is. 

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

I haven't made it to the monument people yet but my brother who helps manage a small cemetery has said I can expect to spend about $2000 for what I was thinking.  He's the one that suggested Amazon as he and his father in law have set several of them but I don't know if I feel comfortable doing that.  With my wife's health issues we had discussed funerals a few times and she already didn't get a few things she wanted due to the Covid restrictions and our pastor not attending because his wife is getting cancer treatment.  If I get a shrine of amazon and it comes out being small and disappointing she'll probably haunt me.  She had enough of small and disappointing while she was with me.

As for the other expenses the bill just came in last week and for everything including the plot, long distance shipping back up to her family's cemetery near Albany, and the casket with a bit extra elbow room, slick pearl white paint and rose gold trim fit for a princess it came to about $11,000.  If you don't have at least a small life insurance policy to help you family with expenses please consider getting one. She did well insisting that we have them when we we're married.  This was not a lavish event by any stretch, could have gotten more expensive in a hurry, and pricing for much of it seems to be a secret. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/22/20 6:56 p.m.

Today I learned "just get a pad from Thing 1" is NOT a proper response to swmbo saying "the fridge door just ripped off my toenail and we're out of bandaids". 

Made sense to me anyway.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/22/20 7:14 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :TIL you can rip off a toenail with a fridge door. 

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/22/20 10:15 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

After reading this I am aware some of it seemed insensitive.  It is not intended that way, but without my conscience my filter is a bit off but I couldn't reword all of it better than it is. 

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

I haven't made it to the monument people yet but my brother who helps manage a small cemetery has said I can expect to spend about $2000 for what I was thinking.  He's the one that suggested Amazon as he and his father in law have set several of them but I don't know if I feel comfortable doing that.  With my wife's health issues we had discussed funerals a few times and she already didn't get a few things she wanted due to the Covid restrictions and our pastor not attending because his wife is getting cancer treatment.  If I get a shrine of amazon and it comes out being small and disappointing she'll probably haunt me.  She had enough of small and disappointing while she was with me.

Wally, here is some advice passed from my wife.  You are going to have a lot of decisions to make for the monument. Follow your heart.  The monument will feel like it is for her, but it becomes something for the living and it is for you.  It took her a long time to figure that one out. Get what you think you should get. Everything else will work out.

Matthew

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
6/23/20 7:11 a.m.

TIL that the Chevy Spark costs twice as much in the US as it does in Canada.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/23/20 7:24 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Payback for book prices?

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/23/20 11:09 a.m.

TIL that I hold the Miata track record at Pineview Run race track. I bet I could go faster this year but they won't let me race.

1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yedJYu6Nt4tFMHG1BKT2ygeKH7e6RFg055HaDixEfKAlNOUkzpKPSEbgqTr4NaU8