1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 ... 213
NickD
NickD UltimaDork
12/16/20 12:40 p.m.

TIL learned that there is a way to disable traction control in the Yaris. It's like putting in the damn Konami code.

Car off, hand brake up
Start car
Depress brake 2 times brake brake (hold brake after second application while doing the next step)
Handbrake down, up, down, up
Release brake and depress brake 2 more times

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/20 12:57 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

You have to also depress the clutch if you have a passenger. ( laugh )

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/16/20 3:39 p.m.

Today I learned there are still people who browse the internet without ad blockers

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/20 6:44 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Can't you do something permanent like unplug the yaw sensor on Nissans?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/16/20 6:48 p.m.

TIL that bank 1 is the rear bank on a Tiburon and bank 2 is the front bank. That seems backwards but hey... 

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/16/20 6:55 p.m.
bobzilla said:

TIL that bank 1 is the rear bank on a Tiburon and bank 2 is the front bank. That seems backwards but hey... 

Bank 1 always is the one with cylinder 1.   Cylinder 1 is always the forwardmost cylinder (except for Pontiacs, because GM) which on a V engine is the rod throw closest to the front of the engine.  Whether the cylinder count is 1-2-3(-4) on bank one, or 1-3-5(-7), depends on if the cylinder count was done by engineers or art majors.  (Nothing wrong with art majors, but it's weird to look at the crank and have the rods ordered 15263748, Ford)

What catches people out with ACVWs is that the front of the engine is the flywheel end, not the end closest to you when you are working on it.

edit: I forgot about Jag V8s.  Jag V8s are labeled 1-2-3-4 on the left, and 1-2-3-4 on the right.  I believe the engineering term for this design philosophy is "chunderheadedness".

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
12/16/20 11:02 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

6 cylinder (old XK) Jags #1 is at the back. I don't know about the AJ series.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/17/20 7:21 a.m.

This is where it gets wild, the forwardmost cylinder is on the front bank, but it calls that bank 2. Mind. Blown.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/17/20 10:14 a.m.

TIL that car prices are even more insane than I had previously thought. 

My QX4 is at the Infiniti dealership for an airbag recall, and they provided a very nice 2020 QX60 as a loaner vehicle for me to drive while they do the work. The Dancer was in it while we dropped her Colorado off for a full detail at a local carwash and running some other errands and wondered aloud just what it cost. As nearly as I can find from what I saw that it had in the way of upgrades...

I'm pretty certain that is less than my parents paid for their first house- and is about equivalent to what all four of our vehicles combined are likely worth (yes, that's including the DMC....).

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
12/17/20 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

That is less than I am still paying for the house I live in today. My parents payed $10,500.00 for the one I grew up in. You can live in that Infinity though, and I sure can't drive my house anywhere....

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/17/20 2:51 p.m.
bobzilla said:

This is where it gets wild, the forwardmost cylinder is on the front bank, but it calls that bank 2. Mind. Blown.

Wild.  If I ever see a 2.7 again, I'll have to take a look.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/17/20 2:57 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
bobzilla said:

Wild.  If I ever see a 2.7 again, I'll have to take a look.

At lunch I looked at the spare engine on the stand..... It's deceiving. The rear bank is the most forward, but the cam cover sits farther backward. Silly Koreans keeping me on my toes

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
12/18/20 3:48 p.m.

TIL how to speak my birth language

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
12/18/20 4:25 p.m.

TIL - The words of "Deck the Halls" to the tune of "War Pigs" actually works.

Example

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/18/20 7:22 p.m.
kazoospec said:

TIL - The words of "Deck the Halls" to the tune of "War Pigs" actually works.

Example

Works the other way too, of course. 

When I found this out a year or two ago I sang it so many times that DW forbid me to sing it any more. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
12/18/20 7:42 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

TIL that car prices are even more insane than I had previously thought. 

My QX4 is at the Infiniti dealership for an airbag recall, and they provided a very nice 2020 QX60 as a loaner vehicle for me to drive while they do the work. The Dancer was in it while we dropped her Colorado off for a full detail at a local carwash and running some other errands and wondered aloud just what it cost. As nearly as I can find from what I saw that it had in the way of upgrades...

I'm pretty certain that is less than my parents paid for their first house- and is about equivalent to what all four of our vehicles combined are likely worth (yes, that's including the DMC....).

Here's the really scary part, used 2020 ones in that trim with 10k miles sell for $38k Go back to 2019 and you're at $30k. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/18/20 7:54 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

My God.... They've achieved 100% German!

Azryael
Azryael Reader
12/18/20 8:14 p.m.

TIL:

1) I HATE Snappages.

2) Working with purpleheart wood is a lot more difficult than I thought possible.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/20 3:43 p.m.

TIL it's good to have your ladder tied off to a tree if you're working two stories up on a steep roof. Lucky I learned it with a rope in place. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/19/20 4:29 p.m.

TIL that "hyper step" drill bits are absolutely incredible.

No, you can't resharpen them (easily) like regular bits, but they don't give the work a chance to slide under and burn the cutting edge.  They just WHOOOMPH through metal.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
12/19/20 4:39 p.m.

I need to get me some of these.

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/19/20 4:43 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

The other end has 3 flats for the chuck to bite into, so that they don't slip!  (One of those "why has nobody done this before?" things) And they need it, too.  I dang near stalled my air powered 1/2" drill with a 13/32" bit.

Downside: I think the set was something like $350.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/19/20 4:48 p.m.

TIL that I think this would be cool to do in my driveway.  

Azryael
Azryael Reader
12/19/20 4:50 p.m.

Seems like a worthwhile investment, even at $350. I'm sure I've got a job or two I can use them to make my money back on them.

I've always been a big fan of have the flat ends for better bite, never understood anything over 1/4" not having them. I've donated all of my larger bits that lacked the flat ends to a local shop.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/20 1:00 p.m.

TIL that if one turns on YouTube's auto generated translation captions, the revving of a 20B in a Best Motoring video will be identified as "[music]".

Not that I disagree.

1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3IaN7xWEx5bNmZMavu2sRsG0Hudejn77ijXl769fzGHvswDciWta5i5ZYLjqdZud