Cute kid

He came on packaging.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/9/21 8:16 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/21 8:48 p.m.

Shipping a Jeep to Zambia was less expensive than I expected.  

Appleseed said:
pilotbraden said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Cute kid

He came on packaging.

Haven't we all?

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
2/10/21 12:00 a.m.

TIL backing a trailer through snow + just enough tire spin to lock the rear end = the front yard is now destroyed.

I'm an excellent backer, I swear, but there was no saving that one.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/10/21 1:51 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Appleseed said:
pilotbraden said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Cute kid

He came on packaging.

Haven't we all?

You don't remember The Burbs, do you?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/21 12:23 p.m.

TIL that the semi-random person who lent me his truck and trailer when teh R urped its transmission at a rallycross a couple years ago, had a fairly successful time in the early 80s as a co-driver in SCCA ProRally.

reading, reading, "co-driven by Jim Kloosterman"... that name sounds familiar!

wae
wae UberDork
2/13/21 8:29 p.m.

TIL that the USA has a strategic chicken reserve.  Apparently if they need to make a whole crapload of flu vaccine for a pandemic, they need a crapload of chicken eggs, so we've got 900,000 chickens that do nothing but crank out eggs to be held in reserve for just such an occasion.  Apparently, while vital for the production of a flu vaccine, chicken eggs don't do diddly for making a coronavirus one unfortunately.

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/14/21 8:23 a.m.

In reply to wae :

900,000 sounds like a lot of layer hens but in the US that's 1.5 typical modern "cage free" barns. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/21 8:58 a.m.

TIL that Willard Scott was the creator and original portrayer of Ronald McDonald.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/21 11:22 a.m.
adam525i (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to wae :

900,000 sounds like a lot of layer hens but in the US that's 1.5 typical modern "cage free" barns. 

IIRC the world population of chickens is approximately 20 billion (20,000 million) at any given time.

We're outnumbered almost 3 to 1.  And they know what we do.  When the revolution comes, I for one welcome our new chicken overlords.  Buckethead will be seen as a prophet.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
2/14/21 5:49 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Who was also played by King Moody from 69-85, also known as Shtarker, Siegfried’s sidekick on Get Smart

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/21 7:29 p.m.

A friend from HS has a hemp farm in Missouri. From him comes my TIL:

having a hemp roll ( hemp joint) does have a relaxing effect and has no nicotine 

from the hemp plant I can extract a cannabinoid called Delta 8. it is a sub THC component of the plant.  I then can infuse that oil into gummies or spray it on flower.
it puts you about 6 inches off the ground and gives you a euphoric feeling without the craziness of THC

he's got a line of gummies now:

Azryael
Azryael Reader
2/14/21 7:34 p.m.

TIL I need to go visit a friend in Missouri.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/15/21 9:31 a.m.

TIL that treating diesel fuel with the "storage" amount of treatment is not enough for the tractor to carry any kind of load when it's colder than -10F.

Actually, TIL that being less than 3 weeks post-op a total shoulder replacement, having COVID (quarantined, but recovering, fingers crossed) and having the lane drifted shut at the vet clinic and the guys we hire to clear it stuck in the middle of it, is all really just a bit much.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/15/21 10:24 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/15/21 11:35 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

The Negotiator - SNLyoutube.com

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/15/21 11:53 a.m.

TIL there is an Antiwork Reddit. It is both alarming and kinda sad

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/15/21 12:18 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

The kinda sad part is true on two levels: One, they're lazy, and seem to not value work. But it is also sad that they have some good points, they're just missing the mark entirely. 

2/15/21 12:38 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

The kinda sad part is true on two levels: One, they're lazy, and seem to not value work. But it is also sad that they have some good points, they're just missing the mark entirely. 

I agree. I mean.....some people are working for a living and aren't able to live off their work. That's bullE36 M3 really, they should be able to least eke out a life there.

But then you have the people that complain that they've been working for 2 whole years and still are renting. Those 2 years were at a grocery store and it was part time. That's entitlement on a horrible level.

I'm lucky I guess, me and the wife worked a combined 35 hours last week and are doing fine. I regularly get a couple months off work in winter. But it took some effort to get there, and some really hard work. My mortgage is less than $300, I'm off grid so I don't have a power bill or water bill but I do have a propane and gas bill of sorts. I work in a very hard field and my wife has an odd job that most won't do.

I guess it all depends on your priorities in life, some seem to think that they are entitled to an upper middle class life working an unskilled job part time and want vacations,new cars, shiny things and a vacation home. These people are terrible.

But the people that are working 2 full time jobs at 7.50 an hour and barely eclipsing 20k a year? I understand the frustration and anger but I wish they would use it to drive them to make more of their lives. It makes me sound elitist maybe? Or heartless but I've been very poor too and I worked to better myself

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/15/21 12:46 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

[snip - a lot of stuff mtn agrees with]

Yeah. I'm super happy about working from home, because prior to that, I'd be getting up at 7AM, getting ready, leaving, driving to work, working until 5 or 6PM, driving 25-45 minutes home... My daughter gets up around 8 and goes to bed around 7. I'd literally be seeing her about 2 hours a week from M-F if I was still going into the the office. That is a big problem, and not at all unusual. We're fortunate enough that my wife isn't working right now, and when she does go back to work, if everything works out as planned (the best laid plans of mice and men), it will be as perfect a situation for kids as we could hope for, but If it were both parents... Well, my wife keeps saying, why even have kids at that point? 

Then, I still work a second job - but that one I can schedule around my kids sleep schedule so I don't miss time with her. And I'm only working that one becauase it is fun and pays for the luxuries I want in my life. 

2/15/21 1:19 p.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, the thing I absolutely agree with them about is the fact that most people work a job so they can pay for the car to get them to work and the house that they can sleep in so they can get to work. That's unhealthy and unfortunate. Also it's not as rare as it should be. One absolute plus from the pandemic is that businesses are realizing just how many people can work from home now. Turns out it's a lot really.

There is a work life balance out there but I think some people need to realize that it's not something corporations/jobs should do for you....it's something that you do yourself.

I've lived a simpler life so I didn't have to keep a E36 M3ty job if I didn't want to. I've went without shiny things so I could have more time off. I understand that not everyone can do that and it makes me lucky but.......I'd be homeless and living in a tent in the woods before I worked 100 hours a week at multiple jobs I hated just to barely make it in an apartment I hated, with roommates I hated etc.

EDIT: also frustrating because a lot of the people posting could just.....get a job in the trades and their lives would be exponentially better. The trades are desperate for people too. I also understand that it's not a life for everyone but working hard for a living wage sounds way better to me than an easy job that makes me have a terrible life

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/15/21 1:34 p.m.

TIL that my wife's 4Runner stability control system beeps.

1 ... 127 128 129 130 131 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xtvBFOHvwVRf0t2rryGD0l7Y1MnIlBlxtH67JIQAYVn2UE4GXIlyPCAfeLH1t6dM