1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 213
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/16 12:45 p.m.

today I learned that Pure Cannibus oil (not the stuff that gets you high) does wonders for crohnes disease, with no side effects. I have not felt this good in years

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/10/16 1:55 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

Did you drink it or mixed in a recipe?

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
12/10/16 3:52 p.m.

TIL mineral spirits suck at cleaning out a gummed up gas tank, but acetone rocks at it.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/10/16 4:54 p.m.

Today I learned all of the old computer systems and parts I gave to a recycler a few years ago only require about $10 in chemicals and a little time to turn into gold. I may have found this years summer non car related project.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/10/16 5:24 p.m.
oldtin wrote: TIL mineral spirits suck at cleaning out a gummed up gas tank, but acetone rocks at it.

Xylene works even better. But it's nasty, nasty stuff.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
12/10/16 10:58 p.m.

Today I learned that my sale priced HF angle grinder would live for two years and nine months.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
12/10/16 11:33 p.m.

TIL the 2006 Jeep Liberty's traction control system is too stupid to ignore its own wheel speed sensors when it knows one has a problem (ABS light on), resulting in the engine periodically cutting out on dry pavement with the traction light blinking at you until you smack the disable button.

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
12/12/16 8:45 a.m.

TIL that accidentally putting the decaf tea bag in first makes the caffeinated tea much more flavorful once it's done steeping.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/13/16 10:16 a.m.

TIL a Ritz Cracker doesn't have the structural fortitude to with stand a direct dip into a soft cream cheese and chipped beef spread.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
12/13/16 12:17 p.m.

TIL the fuel pump I bought from Amazon and installed at great effort (incorrectly) is the wrong one for my model Passat. And that I messed up a "siphon jet" when pulling out the old pump. This is going to cost me

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
12/13/16 12:52 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:
oldtin wrote: TIL mineral spirits suck at cleaning out a gummed up gas tank, but acetone rocks at it.

MEK worked good for me, but lord is that some wicked stuff. Now that I think of it, yes, xylene is wicked too.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/16 1:13 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
Appleseed wrote:
MEK worked good for me, but lord is that some wicked stuff. Now that I think of it, yes, xylene is wicked too.

Learned this a long time ago. We used MEK for prep on PVC based roofing systems and after exposure to that stuff (it is absorbed through the skin) you become a really cheap bar date. I would see guys that could normally drink a 12 pack with no issues be totally blitzed after 2 beers. Helped keep the bar tabs down so the guys liked it.

On the bad side MEK will pop many brain cells. Nasty stuff.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
12/13/16 1:20 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: TIL the fuel pump I bought from Amazon and installed at great effort (incorrectly) is the wrong one for my model Passat. And that I messed up a "siphon jet" when pulling out the old pump. This is going to cost me

Shop just called. $257 for them to reinstall my old fuel pump and straighten out my ham fisted mechanicing. Sigh.

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
12/13/16 1:41 p.m.

If you sneeze once when you have a cracked rib, you will NOT sneeze for about two months. You will feel one coming on then something happens in your brain that just makes it go away, its the weirdest feeling. That and the sheer terror that if it happens again you think that you might die.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/16 4:50 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz:

So the joke about taking Ex-Lax to cure sneezing has some truth?

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
12/13/16 8:42 p.m.

TIL minor surgery isnt fun, but they still give you the awesome meds after. i havent slept this well in years.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
12/13/16 8:54 p.m.

Today I learned that you can't fix the oil cooler leak on the wifes new to her mazda5 on your back in the gravel. Guess its going to wait until I can get it on the lift.

einy
einy Reader
12/14/16 7:05 a.m.

TIL the 'really cool' external edge door seals on my S10 freeze up like crazy when it gets really cold overnight and the truck isn't put in the garage. Who'd a thought ....

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/14/16 7:53 a.m.

In reply to einy:

Wax that seals and where they contact the body/door or whatever.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/14/16 8:26 a.m.

TIL that I work with some lazy E36 M3heads.

einy
einy Reader
12/14/16 5:28 p.m.
RossD wrote: In reply to einy: Wax that seals and where they contact the body/door or whatever.

Good idea ... I tried silicone spray already (which has worked for me in the past), but will give wax a try. It'll be 50'ish on Saturday, so I'll add this to my list !

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
12/14/16 6:51 p.m.

TIL - The morons didn't disappear over night.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
12/14/16 7:03 p.m.

TIL that oil changes on an Evo X are a piece of cake compared to an NA Miata.
Zero contortion, the 'hardest' part of the job was removing a chunk of undertray: a whopping 8 10mm bolts.
Easy Peasy, Mazda can berk off.

wae
wae Dork
12/14/16 8:27 p.m.

TIL how amazing a prime lens is. Also, what "bokeh" is.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
12/18/16 12:43 a.m.

Today I learned the Ram 4500 is/was sold with the 6.4 Hemi, and at least one towing company in this area actually bought one.

1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c3iITNQGFKQeaiirTofuJZ9jq04U86jDyXvBaGwCfmMOJi574EojTsJp7F3cpNkd