1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 213
ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/19/16 6:40 a.m.

Today I learned that Grassroots Motorsports will stick around for a long time. I had a GRM sticker on my company laptop (the better to identify it from the dozens of other identical laptops at work). Today I removed it to discover that it left a ghost image on the surface that isn't cleaning off. Oh, well.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/19/16 7:51 a.m.

TIL I can shove 5,000lbs of dead, frozen 4Runner when filled with sufficient rage.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
12/21/16 8:14 a.m.

T I L: Samsung Galaxy phones don't work when frozen. Motorola Moto G does.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/21/16 9:21 a.m.

TIL I'm the only one with an ugly xmas sweater for my office's ugly xmas sweater day.

monknomo
monknomo Reader
12/21/16 11:07 a.m.

TIL Chrome dev tools will pretty print javascript if you click the little "{}" icon in the lower left corner

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/21/16 11:29 a.m.

TIL that I'm not allowed to complain at work. Not implied, but actually told to my face. Huh? Huh!

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/16 11:32 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

I get told that all the time. If started to complain about that too.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
12/21/16 12:06 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
12/21/16 12:43 p.m.

TIL Victorian era people must have been suicidal. i watched a documentary on steam power's affect on British society, and every thing steam related is packed with ways to die. Even the mail looks suicidal. Hanging huge leather bags and nets out of the moving train to drop off and pick up these 60lb sacks without slowing down the berking train. The thing is going 80 mph and these bags come shooting into a train car with people standing there, because someone has to grab the bag quickly-another one is about to shoot through the opening at full train speed. Everything is safer when you have to rush through it frantically, right?

I assume they all looked like this guy:

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
12/21/16 2:04 p.m.

I also learned later in the same show that the train companies actually employed in-house shops of prosthetic limb makers. Take a guess why.

They would say it's because the train companies took care of their employees. And yes, if you got your arm or leg tore off by a berkeleying steam locomotive in service to the train company they would make you a prosthetic replacement and give you another job that you could still do rather than just let you go. OR how about maybe not making every job such that there is a risk of amputation by train?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
12/21/16 2:37 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: I also learned later in the same show that the train companies actually employed in-house shops of prosthetic limb makers. Take a guess why. They would say it's because the train companies took care of their employees. And yes, if you got your arm or leg tore off by a berkeleying steam locomotive in service to the train company they would make you a prosthetic replacement and give you another job that you could still do rather than just let you go. OR how about maybe not making every job such that there is a risk of amputation by train?

Everything was dangerous at some point. As time goes by, people find ways to make things safer, but we don't always know, A: What is actually dangerous, and B: How stupid or tired people can be.

We have now come to a point in society where it has been determined that the individual is not responsible for keeping his arm out of the Johnson bars, but there must be no way possible to get your arm into the Johnson bar, even if you try.

I think there is a middle ground somewhere.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
12/21/16 2:58 p.m.

Today i learned to ensure that safe search is on when learning what a Johnson bar is.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/16 5:03 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

If you were logged in to Google services when you searched, expect a new kind of dating-services spam too.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/16 5:42 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: I also learned later in the same show that the train companies actually employed in-house shops of prosthetic limb makers. Take a guess why. They would say it's because the train companies took care of their employees. And yes, if you got your arm or leg tore off by a berkeleying steam locomotive in service to the train company they would make you a prosthetic replacement and give you another job that you could still do rather than just let you go. OR how about maybe not making every job such that there is a risk of amputation by train?

Any time people talk about wanting to return to the "good old days", remember that this is what the "good old days" were really like.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/21/16 6:17 p.m.

You know who doesn't pine for the good ol' days? Jews and Blacks. Can't imagine why.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
12/24/16 12:35 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
Everything was dangerous at some point. As time goes by, people find ways to make things safer, but we don't always know, A: What is actually dangerous, and B: How stupid or tired people can be. We have now come to a point in society where it has been determined that the individual is not responsible for keeping his arm out of the Johnson bars, but there must be no way possible to get your arm into the Johnson bar, even if you try. I think there is a middle ground somewhere.

Very true. I would argue we have hit or surpassed the middle ground by now, but they weren't even close to it.

TIL that if you find a YouTube channel called Brit Lab, you can watch a bunch of videos with James May answering questions about stuff. The playlist includes out takes that are just James May rambling on and on about that same subject. The out takes are better than the show IMO.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
12/24/16 3:30 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Everything was dangerous at some point. As time goes by, people find ways to make things safer, but we don't always know, A: What is actually dangerous, and B: How stupid or tired people can be.

Well said, I have a 40s drill press with basically nothing in terms of belt guards. I still have 10 complete fingers, but I don't try to run it drunk on a Monday morning like it may have been in a shop environment.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
12/24/16 5:18 p.m.

TIL some very "interesting" facts about my sisters' cleaning lady.

1. She once shot her husband. When he got out of jail he went to the jail and got her out because he knew what was good for him.

2. Once in a bar fight, she gouged a woman's eye out.

3. Once, a fugitive from the police was pounding on her door in the middle of the night. She had just lit a joint and didn't want the cops hassling her so she threw him down the stairs of the apartment building.

4. When some kids were hassling he son, she ambushed them and pumped a dozen 9mm rounds into their car.

Holy E36 M3 I feel I've lived a boring life. But to be perfectly honest I'm ok with that.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
12/24/16 5:25 p.m.

Was her name lynn? Cause im pretty sure i dated her....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/16 8:29 p.m.

today I learned that my nemeses at work (not really, he just drives me crazy because he never ever shuts up) can't stand classical music. He only likes rock and roll. I happen to adore Classical. I now know how to give myself talk free space when working on a project I can do myself

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/27/16 9:07 p.m.

TIL I can get sucked into a senseless internet debate, and take it way too serious.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
12/28/16 2:35 p.m.

TIL that Amy is the name of the 58th demon in the Ars Goetia. He is claimed to teach astronomy and liberal arts, give familiars, incite positive reactions from rulers, and reveal treasures. According to all sources, he rules over thirty six legions of demons.

That makes that name even funnier when used here. As I recall, Amy incited positive reactions from "rulers".

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
12/28/16 2:42 p.m.

Yesterday I learned that nobody in Tennessee understands how roads work.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/28/16 3:00 p.m.

TIL that the problem with telescopes is that they use mirrors so we'll never know if there are space vampires.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/28/16 3:39 p.m.

TIL that I am part of the 4%... interms of Samsung's S Health app and counting steps. In the last 7 days, I've done 88,735 steps, 46.11 miles and burned 4673 calories. Why might this be interesting? Well we have a very fussy baby, and some would argue colicky. Case in point: Dec 22nd I didn't leave the house and did 15,241 steps most of that with an one month old baby in my arms or 36 lb two year old wanting to be thrown around.

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
68QNrWGVlKrbJ6UFmdwsn0MbFbhqnbuzgP2C5t0lJGAnUMVwROi5jh1dkZeiO6j5