1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 213
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
2/8/17 2:04 p.m.

TIL, again, that it's worth figuring out what you have before you offer it for sale. The filthy old not Camaro bucket seats that came with my 67 turned out to be from a 71 Barracuda, and my $100 asking price had people climbing all over each other to throw cash at me.

At least I didn't throw them in the dumpster like I originally planned.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/8/17 5:36 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Today i learned that a nb1 miata is much more comfortable than my nb2. I also learned that I will be buying one.

Why not just buy the door cards from an NB1? Isn't that the real difference in the interior?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
2/8/17 6:33 p.m.

And seats and console are different.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/17 11:35 a.m.

TIL that the A/C compressor in my RX-7 is used by one other car - a 911 S/C.

Well, that makes it fun. At least I was able to find a replacement bearing for the compressor clutch.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
2/11/17 12:38 p.m.
Knurled wrote: TIL that the A/C compressor in my RX-7 is used by one other car - a 911 S/C. Well, that makes it fun. At least I was able to find a replacement bearing for the compressor clutch.

Really? That's interesting.

TIL all about Turbonique.

Thanks Hot Rod Magazine. I wonder if any of these are still out there unused.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
2/11/17 12:57 p.m.

In reply to NickD:

After reading that, I'd bet homeland security, the FBI and every other government agency that has to do with explosives would be really, really excited about the fuel they used.

Pure nutso. I've seen the ads in old Hot Rod mags, but I had no idea they were so completely outrageous.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
2/11/17 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

I knew about some of their stuff, like the Drag Axle. But the small jet engines making 1,980lbs of thrust for GO-KARTS?!?!?!?!? I know things were more lax in the '60s, but still, how did anyone think these were good ideas?

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/15/17 8:43 p.m.

TIL that if you leave your phone at a nice restaurant during a nice Valentines Day dinner, no one will mess with it. I also learned that if its an Android phone and you google "how to find your lost android phone" while logged into your google account, it will map where your phone is and let you lock it from your browser. It will also let you put a single "call this number" on the lock screen.

Pretty slick little feature.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/17 11:33 a.m.

I've learned 2 things so far today. The first is that despite sub freezing temperatures and snow all week, my yard is more mud than frozen ground. I also learned that my general altimax arctics may not be the dual purpose winter/off-road tire I thought they would be when I had to pull the crown Vic out of the yard with the haunted Cherokee.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 UltraDork
2/19/17 7:49 p.m.

TIL Pennsylvania has a Grand Canyon, and it's quite impressive!

photo A442D47C-C9D6-4662-8EFA-8AB776594921_zpssezkcfns.jpg

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
2/20/17 6:12 a.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: TIL Pennsylvania has a Grand Canyon, and it's quite impressive!  photo A442D47C-C9D6-4662-8EFA-8AB776594921_zpssezkcfns.jpg

I have flown over that area many times, every time I have been impressed.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
2/21/17 8:15 a.m.

TIL, that the door latch mechanism is a two part connection. The cable/rod is on the lever but I didn't snap the housing back into place. Replaced the window regulators in the old beater Passat yesterday and now my front doors don't open from the inside.

Oh well, the second time in should be a little easier.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
2/24/17 11:24 a.m.

TIL that the new Camaro ZL-1 with a manual transmission is faster around Big Willow, with Randy Pobst driving, than the 10-speed automatic. Just barely, but sill faster.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/3/17 3:05 p.m.

Today I learned that Brazen Orange was exclusive to '05 on the '04-'06 GTOs and accounted for less than 1200 (8%) of production.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/17 9:39 a.m.

"Useless as an Amish electric chair" is a terrific insult. It got even better when he then had to explain to the insultee why an Amish electric chair is useless.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/4/17 1:49 p.m.

Today learned the origins of the Yiddish word schmuck.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
3/4/17 8:17 p.m.

TIL that removing an automatic transmission from a 2005 Honda Civic sucks.

Knurled
3/4/17 9:02 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

I thought when the transmission in a 12 year old Civic died, you threw the car away and bought something else.

Someone's PAYING to rebuild the trans??

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/4/17 9:51 p.m.

Today I learned that almost every car under 5k has either a berkeleyton of miles, salvage title, extensive rust, has had the E36 M3 kicked out of it, or any/all of the above.

I also learned to trust your gut when the long way home sounds appealing.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
3/4/17 9:54 p.m.

TIL people in North Carolina complain about rust.

RossD in Wisconsin

Knurled
3/4/17 9:56 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

TIL people in Wisconsin think they have rust.

Knurled who drove an empty trailer to Wisconsin to pick up a clean 24 year old car, that was more rust-free than the car he just bought out of Alabama

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/4/17 9:58 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

Apparently when people move south, they price their cars under 5k. Two different cars today had no front strut towers to speak of. On tbe protege, the motor mount was suspended by air. And the scumbag said the car was a southern car before I drove 2 hours to see it.

I grew up in northern Pennsylvania. I have no time or patience for any rust whatsoever.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/17 9:59 p.m.
RossD wrote: TIL people in North Carolina complain about rust. RossD in Wisconsin

I always thought the cheese brine they treat roads with up there was better than the metric tons of rock salt dumped on the roads here in PA.

Rev, who's NEVER owned a car without rust even in California.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
3/5/17 8:00 a.m.
Knurled wrote: In reply to spitfirebill: I thought when the transmission in a 12 year old Civic died, you threw the car away and bought something else. Someone's PAYING to rebuild the trans??

This is to replace the "rebuilt" transmission in my son's 2001 civic. I told him this is why you don't buy automatic civics.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
3/5/17 10:00 a.m.
Knurled wrote: In reply to RossD: TIL people in Wisconsin think they have rust. Knurled who drove an empty trailer to Wisconsin to pick up a clean 24 year old car, that was more rust-free than the car he just bought out of Alabama

The nice thing about Wisco is that summer cars tend to get put in garages for the winter, rather than driven year around like it could be down south.

Some rust here is a hole in the fender. Rust free is only surface rust on the frame.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j9ErHRWy4ga6hmfBzQgvy32b6xf9O70NX5wGotyEgLcRtmO5Jpnk4D4e7WM2H6bN