1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 213
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/17 10:25 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

The trick is I bought it from far north enough that not only was the car probably only driven five months of the year, the winters were cold enough that salt doesn't do anything so the roads just get graded. Michigan's like that too, lots of old interesting cars there just ripe for the buying.

The fenders had corners and there wasn't even any surface rust anywhere. The Alabama-its-whole-life car has a rusted through hood, non-removable body panel between the cowl panel and front fender, and the sunroof also rusted through. Southern cars rust weird.

My Texas car also rusted from the top down. It's been so long, I don't remember what part of Texas it hailed from.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/5/17 9:33 p.m.

Im convinced that its salt ait near the coast. Anywhere the humidity condenses that wasn't painted starts to rust. Like roof seams.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
3/5/17 10:48 p.m.

The AC system on a NA Miata is weirdly heavy. As I continue ruining my car, it's an interesting diet to be on.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/17 6:23 a.m.

An electric carving knife is a terrible tool for cutting a cake.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
3/6/17 10:01 a.m.

In reply to Wall-e:

Even angel food?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
3/6/17 10:24 a.m.

YIL a one legged man with knowledge and a helper can remove a Civic transmission faster than two, two legged men with no knowledge.

Wall-e
3/6/17 11:06 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

I haven't tried that but a plain chocolate cake pretty much explodes.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
3/6/17 11:45 a.m.
Wall-e wrote: In reply to RossD: I haven't tried that but a plain chocolate cake pretty much explodes.

You could cross post this in the First World Problems thread too!

Wall-e
3/6/17 6:43 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

I wish I had kept recording after the candles were blown out. It was a much worse idea than dirtying another knife.

Knurled
3/6/17 8:19 p.m.

You know, electric knives also work in the "off" position when cutting something like cake.

It isn't nearly as memorable though.

Wall-e
3/7/17 4:15 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

He only knows one speed, WFO.

TIL the hour or so a day I spend looking for Richard Simmons should not go on my time sheet. If anyone sees him we're all worried about him.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
3/7/17 10:00 p.m.

Today I learned to always double check things before sliding a crank pulley on. Forgot to put the timing belt guide on so now the radiator has to come so I can use the pulley puller (again).

Knurled
3/11/17 2:52 p.m.

TIL that the 2.5l version of the Duratec/MZR has 4340 bores and a forged crank.

4340 for the cylinder bores. Dang.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/11/17 5:09 p.m.

TIL not to allow my son to have any tool that allows him to have leverage when tightening lugs on a starter solenoid switch:

2017-03-11_06-06-21

(I also learned not to laugh while he's having a temper tantrum after breaking a new part )

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/11/17 5:34 p.m.

Til that i cant do 20 hour days, sleep 4 hours, do a 70 person party, and still have enough energy to work on my new car afterwards.

I also learned that I know more people than i thought I did.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 UltraDork
3/11/17 10:13 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I finished a 62 hour week today. It pretty much did me in.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 UltraDork
3/12/17 3:52 p.m.

TIL when setting up my social calendar for the summer, GRM was the only site I needed to reference.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/12/17 3:53 p.m.

Til that i cant leave well enough alone.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/12/17 4:46 p.m.

TIL that old burnt Dexron makes your eyes burn, tastes terrible and makes your lips numb. It also stings to sneeze it out and when I do, hours later, I can still smell it. At least the aftertaste has subsided. Wiggling a trans pan, and when it cleared the bracket apparently my face was directly under. Sucked.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
3/13/17 10:52 p.m.
Knurled wrote: TIL that the 2.5l version of the Duratec/MZR has 4340 bores and a forged crank. 4340 for the cylinder bores. Dang.

It also replaces anything else that had a duratec/mzr in it originally. Supposedly the 2.3 computer runs the 2.5 pretty well.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/15/17 10:42 p.m.

Til if you Google ghettocet P71, 3 of of the 4 results point here.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
3/16/17 6:15 p.m.

Til that flatulence and coveralls can be a noxious mix.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
3/17/17 3:24 p.m.

TIL that wild turkeys sleep in trees.

wae
wae Dork
3/17/17 4:33 p.m.

TIL: I shouldn't solder left-handed.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
3/17/17 6:10 p.m.
etifosi wrote: TIL that wild turkeys sleep in trees.

I used to have a tree that the vultures rooster in like that. Sometimes as many as 25 of those big guys all in one tree in the back yard.

1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
caBfQ5JNaNPeqqHPhK3alYxTReq2HwylSPfX35WRMOXYJOeAlRj7SSFKo7Od05Ts