Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/17 7:19 a.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

That weird Aussie 9 bolt?

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/6/17 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Yes. I'm told it's good but it sounds like it's gonna be a pain if I ever need parts.

Knurled
8/6/17 11:38 a.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

It IS good. We've seen them live just fine behind supercharged small blocks that would have annihilated a 7.625 10-bolt.

Edited, because I forgot about the Grand National's 8.5" 10-bolt, which seems to live okay up to the 600-700hp level.

While I'm editing, I'm in the middle of an engine refresh on a 1000hp 4th-gen that has some sort of morphodited 14-bolt... and a 4L60. Which is living just fine behind a twin turbo stroker LS. And then the Internet exploded in nerdrage

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/17 8:50 p.m.

There's a Kars4Kids tv commercial too. The kids are every bit as hateable as they are on the radio.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/17 9:08 p.m.

TIL that there is an Evel Knievel Museum in Topeka Kansas.

https://www.facebook.com/theevelknievelmuseum/

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/10/17 7:45 p.m.

I can use emoji in the terminal. I even put a bunch of emoji in a text file and went after it with various GNU tools.

I mean, sure, it's all just unicode, but dang.

Knurled
8/11/17 4:51 p.m.

TIL that when HP Tuners says "Some operating systems use the secondary VE table when there is a MAF fault", they aren't kidding. And failing out the MAF is the first step when tuning VE.

At least I only beat my head against that wall once before I realized why making huge bites out of the (main) table was having no effect.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/12/17 3:50 a.m.

TIL even the cyclekart people think we're crazy.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/14/17 8:16 p.m.

TIL how to tension my torsion springs in my 16'garage door after I almost dumped the whole mess on the 'V' this past weekend.....95+degrees in closed grosh....automotive sweat lodge anyone? Oh and Ytube saved my ARSE!!

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/14/17 8:50 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

That sounds like it could have been much worse than me dropping a garage door on the back window of my '86 Firebird. (This is a thing that ALMOST happened and why the shop of horrors doesn't currently have a door on it)

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/15/17 7:26 a.m.

TIL Audubon Society has nothing to do with high speed highways nor automobiles.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/20/17 9:05 a.m.

I went to Indiana yesterday and learned that the flatness is real.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/20/17 6:58 p.m.

Today I learned autocross sucks, rally cross rules.

It's WAY more fun coming in last after sliding around on dirt all day than it is coming in last trying to slide on pavement.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/17 6:34 a.m.

Shingling a shed is a lot like yoga.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
8/21/17 2:30 p.m.

TIL that my coworkers girlfriend is an honest to goodness "reptilians control the government, flat earther, the eclipse (as it was happening) is a hoax, meditates 15 minutes a day to "cleanse her body of bad energy so she won't get cancer", everything is energy nutjob!

I offered to let her use my welding hood to look at the eclipse and she just said "no thanks, I don't believe in it. You are only seeing what you want to see"

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/21/17 2:43 p.m.

TIL that my oil change and 10k mi service are included in the purchase price of the car. Guess I should've asked that last year when we bought the car. Not sure what else is covered. I guess I'll find out next year.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/17 3:18 p.m.

In reply to Jumper K. Balls:

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/17 4:00 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Shingling a shed is a lot like yoga.

I really have no desire to do either, and when I do people see more of my butt than they'd like.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/22/17 8:49 p.m.

TIL if you're nice to the road construction crew that is rebuilding the dead road you live on, likw wave and smile even when you are running late and you have to wait a couple minutes for a piece of machinery to move. If you do this, you might come home to a couple massive scoups of extra gravel nicely graded over you 500' driveway. Score for me!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/22/17 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Jumper K. Balls:

You can turn that around and tell her she is only saying what she wants to hear. Blow her berkeleying mind.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/22/17 8:53 p.m.

In reply to RevRico:

Welcome to rallycross, home of the dirty, dirty cone. Be sure to check your air filter for dirt and vegetation.

Knurled
8/22/17 9:00 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: In reply to Jumper K. Balls: You can turn that around and tell her she is only saying what she wants to hear. Blow her berkeleying mind.

Oddly enough, it would be the bald faced truth, too.

It's the same mindset that makes otherwise sane people say that the Moon landing was a hoax, or that the 9/11 attack didn't happen, or any other kind of denialism. There's a lot of interesting stuff written about the mindset, actually. It generally boils down to an inferiority complex and a need to make oneself feel superior.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
9/1/17 5:00 p.m.

At some point in the past few decades, I may have gotten too old to play airsoft.

Knurled
9/2/17 6:50 p.m.

TIL that if you're shaking off some sort of deep chest cold, spraying most of a can of carb cleaner on a steering box to degunk it, then spraying it with clear paint to keep the now degunked nonrusty 36 year old iron from rusting, then continuing to work in that enclosed space putting the udnerdash stuff together...

Is a Bad Idea.

I'll put the steering box in tomorrow.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
9/2/17 7:08 p.m.
759NRNG wrote: 95+degrees in closed grosh....automotive sweat lodge anyone?

Oh, that's so precious!

I was just working in my garage. The thermometer said 122F.

TIL that some people consider 95 degrees to be hot.

1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RqMJzHsk7tu2v8iU4UvyT93kZFpf2nUAoIeEukVg6gQ8vO3z0rmcMxaUVoRqy71U