1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 213
akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
9/19/17 12:28 p.m.

If you back your lawn tractor under a branch, said branch will pin you between it and the steering wheel and make your nose hurt.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/19/17 1:39 p.m.
akylekoz said:

If you back your lawn tractor under a branch, said branch will pin you between it and the steering wheel and make your nose hurt.

About 45 years ago, I learned that if you misjudge how close you are to the barn, and hit the front tire hard enough to spin the steering wheel, having your thumb hit the spoke end on hurts like a bastard.

I also learned about how a fir tree branch will sweep the hydrostatic drive lever from "ahead" to "back" really quickly.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/19/17 1:52 p.m.

A couple years ago I learned that a low hanging pine branch may clear your head but won't clear the ROPS bar on my zero turn, and that a low hanging pine branch if big enough will pick the front wheels right up off the ground. Fortunately I also learned my reaction and reaction time to that happening were good and I backed the mower up and went around instead of having to gather pieces of me and the mower up off the lawn.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/17 2:36 p.m.

There were two NASCAR racers at Le Mans that year

http://camtecs.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/76060054.jpg

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
9/19/17 7:44 p.m.

TIL the package of the cheapo sun shade i bought to put over the dash on the GTA while it's being stored outside actually says "Camero" on the back.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/17 6:37 p.m.

TIL that if you heat a brake caliper orange around the bleeder area, then go to run water over it to cool it off again so that you don't heat-damage the seals because they're kind of smoking a bit, use a long pair of tongs and not a 5" long pair of Vise-Grips.

Peripherally, TIL that cold water will turn into scalding steam instantly upon contact with metal that isn't even hot enough to be dark red in color anymore.  I don't mean steam like gentle steam from a really hot shower, either.  This is not a good thing if the 5" pair of Vise-Grips forces your hand to be directly above the caliper.

My right middle finger is a bed of blistered skin.  How will I drive in traffic now?

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
9/20/17 6:47 p.m.

In reply to Knurled :

One of my professors has his middle finger wrapped in a bandage from dropping a lathe chuck on it. He said it was also for more emphasis when communicating with coworkers.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/20/17 9:26 p.m.

Today i learned that removing badly applied plastidip is a job they hand out in hell.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/17 7:44 p.m.

TIL that my Volvo is for sale.

This revelation sponsored by the letters "R" and "S", and the numbers "turbo" and "all wheel drive".

Giggity.

Well, it's dependent on what the credit application spits back, but filling out one of those for the first time in over a decade, I kind of did a double take at how much I make a month now.  That and having no real credit issues in the last 15 years or so, I'm probably good...

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
9/22/17 8:42 p.m.

I think I might just have learned that a hacksaw is a coping saw over here. smiley

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/22/17 8:52 p.m.

Today i learned how much i love mazda engineers. They make huge repairs simple. Complete rear suspension and differential swap in 2 hours.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/22/17 9:16 p.m.

TIL that if you want to remove the power steering hoses from a 2002 Infiniti Q45 it's worse than a Japanese puzzle box.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mi_b6uGolgU

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/22/17 11:32 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Very dependent on the car. Replacing front control arms on my 2004 Mazda 6 requires dropping the frikkin subframe which required disconnecting the steering rack etc. technically to do one of the arms requires removing the catalytic converter but I managed to cheat it using extension and an impact swivel. Ugh what a pain in the butt. 

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
9/24/17 2:20 p.m.

TIL I'm getting old. 

Yesterday we took the boy to six flags to celebrate his birthday. For the first time in my life I got physically ill from riding a roller coaster. 

Today feels like the a bad hangover. I didn't have a drop to drink.

I'm too young to get old.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
9/24/17 2:47 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock :

I learned a while back rollercoasters we’re finished for me.  They don’t make me sick, but hurt my neck.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/27/17 11:31 p.m.

Today I learned you can root a 2016 Honda pilot and install other Android apps on it.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/1/17 1:03 a.m.

Yes, in fact you can fit a 6 foot long I beam I the trunk of a P71, with the lid closed.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/1/17 8:56 a.m.

Yesterday I learned that raising a 14 year old girl is harder than I ever thought.   

I also learned that the lady across the street has the same issues with her 2 teenage daughters as they all screamed and fought in the garage as I was perched on a ladder painting eaves - it was at that point I chuckled seeing somebody else in the same spot as I am.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
10/1/17 10:48 a.m.

Daughters.  What a challenge, particularly when you throw a mother in there.  When my older daughter left for school, it cut the screaming down by at least 66%.

Mothers, daughters and their power struggles.  I don't think they ever end.  It can be fun watching a daughter and grandmother team up on the mom, though.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
10/1/17 3:54 p.m.

TIL, well actually yesterday, that a high end Tesla (SP90D?) is already an autonomous vehicle. Was told an owner can enter previous destination on the screen, point the T in the right direction, press the potentiometer , sit back  and noodle on ones' tablet or text while the world rushes by. Next one I see I'm gettin' way ahead of it.  

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
10/1/17 9:00 p.m.

TIL that the Opel GT's headlights flip over sideways. This is my new favorite dumb headlight, now leading ahead of the 928, late 60s Mopar B-bodies, and the C4 corvette.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
10/1/17 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux :

Did you also notice that they are cable operated manually? And that's how you turn the headlights on when the key is on? Microswitch on the left one turns the headlights & taillights on when the key is on. That's the only way to turn the lights on, switch on console only does parking lights.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
10/1/17 9:14 p.m.

This gets better and better. Admittedly all I knew about Opel GT's is nothing.

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
10/1/17 9:32 p.m.

TIL, I love the SCCA Run-Offs more than F1. 

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
10/2/17 10:28 a.m.

My quest to repower my Lotus Europa has made me start researching Audi A4s with the 1.8T engines and transaxles. This has sent me to VAG forums. The amount of junk, complete disinformation and attitude amazes me. I didn't really understand how good things were here.

1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s9Nw86svPt1Sj8whafe6rOUTKCqfwkLdy4aMTmDLjfgasIH62R5JKQRPcrtnDPr5