1 2 3 4 5 ... 213
BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
4/20/16 10:43 p.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

Those Ford swing axle front ends sucked at a lot of things, but taking abuse was not one of them.

johnnie
johnnie New Reader
4/22/16 5:57 p.m.

Today I learned the term ET when referring to wheel offset comes from the German "Einpresstiefe" which translates to "insertion depth."

Jay
Jay UltraDork
6/25/16 6:50 p.m.

Today I learned "One Direction" is a boy band. I honestly thought they were a racist political party.

Seriously, what a terrible name. I guess they could be living up to it but I'm assuming it's just bad marketing.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
6/26/16 9:03 p.m.

That the two AC systems in my house needed freon AND to clear their condensate lines.

I like house projects at 9:30.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/16 9:03 p.m.

TIL that quick-connect fuel couplings can quick-disconnect for no apparent reason.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/16 10:31 a.m.
Jay wrote: Today I learned "One Direction" is a boy band. I honestly thought they were a racist political party.

LOL, I was vaguely aware that they're a pop group at least

Reminds me of when I learned that a Versa Note is a car and not a tablet computer as I had assumed.

java230
java230 Dork
6/27/16 10:51 a.m.

TIL that a woman holds the world record for longest survived elevator fall. 79 stories...

http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/the-view-from-the-79th-floor/

Knurled
6/27/16 5:11 p.m.

TIL that my car has a $300 fuel pressure regulator under the hood but it is a returnless system.

(headisfullofberkeley.jpg)

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/27/16 5:29 p.m.

Today I learned that one of my dogs won't eat his dinner if he has something near 50 bee stings all over his face. The other one will, however, eat it for him.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
8/7/16 6:54 p.m.

Today I learned the supercharger impeller on the Kawasaki H2 is spinning about 2166.67 revolutions per second at full song

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
8/7/16 9:31 p.m.
Furious_E wrote:
Stealthtercel wrote: Today I learned that someone can have a very good eye for design, alignment, etc., and still look like a complete tool if they use their skills to precisely place three chrome Ventiports on each front fender of their Honda Fit. Seriously.
Ugh, these are a major pet peeve of mine. Who wants their car to look like a berkeleying Buick? Today I learned those public baby changing stations are spec-ed to withstand the force of two (or maybe even more?) humans having sex on them. Think about that one the next time you're changing poopy diapers at the mall...

Those people should think of all the poopy diapers next time they bang at the mall.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
8/7/16 9:44 p.m.
joey48442 wrote: Those people should think of all the poopy diapers next time they bang at the mall.

They probably are

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/16 11:05 p.m.
joey48442 wrote:
Furious_E wrote:
Stealthtercel wrote: Today I learned that someone can have a very good eye for design, alignment, etc., and still look like a complete tool if they use their skills to precisely place three chrome Ventiports on each front fender of their Honda Fit. Seriously.
Ugh, these are a major pet peeve of mine. Who wants their car to look like a berkeleying Buick? Today I learned those public baby changing stations are spec-ed to withstand the force of two (or maybe even more?) humans having sex on them. Think about that one the next time you're changing poopy diapers at the mall...
Those people should think of all the poopy diapers next time they bang at the mall.

I didn't realize they were for changing diapers. That's gross.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/16 11:34 p.m.

I learned a pressure washer is great for cleaning trash cans. I also learned that cleaning trash and with a pressure washer is an excellent way to get what ever is in the cans all over you in a very fine mist.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/7/16 11:45 p.m.

Today I learned that gm hates the person that wants to change a caprice starter with an undying fiery hatred.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
8/8/16 5:27 a.m.

Today I learned that a French guy named Vidocq spent most of his life as a criminal, yet was the founder of the French version of the FBI and the father of modern criminology.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
8/8/16 7:23 a.m.

TIL that there is a Monster Truck Hall of Fame?!?

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
8/8/16 10:23 a.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: There are now paint and rust removal laser guns, made by Germans. http://www.cleanlaser.de/wEnglish/produkte/high-power-cl-1000.php https://www.youtube.com/embed/dZ_90920Zbg

So, if you remove the paint from a Jaguar with one of these, will it try to chase it?

"Low power units start at $50,000." Sigh. You had me then you lost me.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/8/16 10:38 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: I learned a pressure washer is great for cleaning trash cans. I also learned that cleaning trash and with a pressure washer is an excellent way to get what ever is in the cans all over you in a very fine mist.

Imagine using the pressure washer to clean a horse trailer, or even worse, a trailer that's been moving hogs...

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
8/8/16 11:55 a.m.

TIL (okay, a week ago) that a serpentine belt that gets very hot due to a seized idler pulley before it breaks will actually shrink in length several inches, (and verified that the broken ends match perfectly and no pieces are missing) and cause you to buy the wrong belt to replace it because the one the NAPA computer says is the right one for your 2004 Duramax is obviously way to long, so you make the parts guy match one up to the broken one because obviously it's the right one because it was on the truck before right? And parts guys are all dummies right? And this has to happen on highway 101 in Oregon on a Sunday several miles from anywhere useful...

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/8/16 7:54 p.m.

Returning to work after 8 weeks of being out after surgery, Cardiac Rehab, then shoulder rehab makes for a very long day!

Knurled
8/8/16 8:04 p.m.

TIL that brake cleaner does not kill whatever species of gigantic spider has decided to take up residence under my nice Volkswagen. And it ran away before I could test its resistance to a broom and/or a shoe.

I thought it was a leaf until it started crawling towards me.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
8/8/16 8:21 p.m.

Today I learned that a machinist can take an hour to make a perfectly accurate hole with a perfect press fit to the supplied hardened steel pin.

I also learned that he thought it was a fun little project that he said was "rough and crude work".

A quality machinist is a berkeleying artist.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
8/10/16 12:32 a.m.

Today I learned that if you get pissed off and leave the rear engined mower with the front end jacked up 3 feet in the air for like 3 weeks while you pick away at filing down all the clutch idler arm pivot parts so they fit together correctly again, the cylinder will fill with enough oil that it hydrolocks a flathead engine. A Tecumseh 10hp engine will also do it's best impression of a diesel engine for a few seconds when you get it going again after you blow most of the oil out and put the old plug back in after dipping it in the gas tank to wash most of the oil off.

But it seems to run now without blowing through belts and idler pulleys now that the idler isn't like 10 degrees off parallel with the belt and getting well beyond the max operating temp of whatever grease they put in cheap Chinese ball bearings.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
8/10/16 12:47 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Today I learned that a machinist can take an hour to make a perfectly accurate hole with a perfect press fit to the supplied hardened steel pin. I also learned that he thought it was a fun little project that he said was "rough and crude work". A quality machinist is a berkeleying artist.

This sort of thing also applies to TIG welders.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E2lsMSiQbXvS2n96l4FM1PLlnCgmgj5ndIUE9kDoMwHqVzZY6PZ21IgquBWdcyTt