1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 213
Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/3/17 1:53 a.m.

In reply to iceracer :

19mm and 3/4" are even closer to the same.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/3/17 8:18 a.m.

5/8ths and 16mm

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
11/3/17 9:00 a.m.

In reply to wlkelley3 :

That's really smart. Do they at least give you one of each?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/17 8:12 p.m.

TIL that I finally made it into Say What? with something I said, not a quote from someone else.

And, unlike practically all Say What? quotes from other people where I could place the context, I could not remember at all the thread where I posted it.  I vaguely remember that it was about how my S40 started screaming in the lower gears, but I don't remember even mentioning that on GRM.

Update:  Trans is fine.  Two drivetrain mounts were broken and a rubber isolator was dislodged.  This allowed metal on metal contact, transmitting drivetrain vibrations directly to the chassis.  The mounts were not cheap, actually more expensive than a transmission from LKQ, but swapping a front drive transmission on jackstands in my cramped garage does not enthuse me.  It sucks enough with a lift and full shop equipment.

(It took every fiber of my being to not follow "Trans is fine." with "You berk it, you just make it heavy and still not hit largest side of barn")

Knurled.
11/3/17 8:21 p.m.
wlkelley3 said:

In reply to Greg Smith :

I have a set of sockets that only include commonality between SAE and metric. Sockets are marked with both sizes. The case has a chart that shows the commonality sizes.

My grandfather had a 19/32nds combination wrench that I found was the perfect size for the wheel nuts on my BMX bikes.

A long time later, I found out that those were actually 15mm.

15mm is one of those metric sizes that has no equivalent in SAE.  I have a feeling that some enterprising company made a 19/32 wrench so people could work on Metric vehicles without having to buy a whole set.  US standard metric fasteners are 8/10/13/15/18, I think DIN as well.  All but the 15 have an SAE size that is close enough to work.

I don't remember him actually working on anything in the garage, that stuff all happened before I was born.  And he was a retired UAW worker and only ever owned American cars.  I think the first import anybody in my family owned was an aunt's Encore.  (Which she still swears was the best car she ever had, with her Metro a close second.  She doesn't really like her Fit but it's paid for)

Stampie
11/4/17 6:12 p.m.

TIL that GM started out with buying Buick and didn't buy Chevrolet for 9 more years. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/4/17 6:56 p.m.

Today i learned that the heater in my truck is still a flaming pile of E36 M3, despite a new core, new blower motor, and all the seals replaced. I honestly thought i had found the problem with the control cables, but at this point i have to call it a E36 M3ty design. 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/4/17 7:15 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Blend door?   If indeed a flaming pile, how about sternos.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/4/17 9:13 p.m.

In reply to Dirtydog :

Probably not a blend door ir servos. Factory heater box from a 64 chevelle.  Gotta be something im missing to be honest. Factory heater box in my 70 duster would run you out at 0 degrees outside temp with a 180 thermostat. 

Knurled.
11/5/17 6:53 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Any way to force it to recirculate?  I don't know if that was an option on those A-bodies.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/5/17 8:27 p.m.

Actually learned a couple of days ago.

Positive K recorded both the male and female vocals on I Got A Man.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/5/17 8:34 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Hmm.....

Ill have to look. I got to thinking about it more today, and am now wondering if the doors arent closing or opening all the way due to 60 years of wear and stretch in the system of levers and cables. 

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/6/17 10:39 a.m.

Today I learned that spending the weekend wrenching on a truck when you've barely turned a wrench in the last 4 months will make you feel like you spent a few hours in the gym. Changed out 5 u-joints this weekend on the truck. one of them required persuasion from a BFH. The one of the spring clips failed on the test drive and I had to figure out how to press it back in enough still mounted in the truck to get home. Needless to say. I'm BEAT! I didn't know my hands could be this sore. Typing for work SUCKS! Feels like I spent 2 hours with a heavy bag without gloves.

Stampie
11/6/17 10:46 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Not saying that you're as stupid as me but I almost hooked up my K30 heater hoses after the water was cooled by the radiator. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
11/6/17 3:28 p.m.

TIL, if you're having issues w/ anything electronic, unplug it, drink two beers and plug it back in.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
11/6/17 8:00 p.m.

TIL that since I took the TV out of the garage to build new walls, I get more done.

Not sure if it is going back...

Stereo works fine and doesn't slow me down.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/9/17 10:22 a.m.

TIL that I've been wasting a lot of time when entering equations in the Equation Editor in the newer versions of Word- I just found out I can largely just type out the equation in logical notation in the editor and it will translate it into the proper notation. Saves SO MUCH time hunting for the right button with the mouse...

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/17 5:01 p.m.

In reply to Mike :

I always sing both parts when it comes on the radio too.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/9/17 5:04 p.m.

Rad. I thought i was the only one.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
11/9/17 6:36 p.m.

TIL that VQ35s benefit hugely from an Italian tuneup after sitting for a few days.

Knurled.
11/9/17 6:40 p.m.

TIL that you can buy brand new METAL lunch boxes.  They've been banned in the US since forever because wee kiddie winkies would bash each other over the head with them.

I got my lunchbox and I'm armed real well.  No word on if this will allow me to grow up and be a big rock and roll star.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/9/17 11:33 p.m.

TIL that there is a point where I will take an impact wrench to the bottom bracket tool, even on my nice Chris King bottom bracket.

But never have I been so careful with the whole "drive side is left-hand thread, non-drive side is normal, right..."

I'm baffled as to why it was so stuck. There was still visible Phil Wood grease on the threads.

Knurled.
11/10/17 3:56 a.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Precession tightens the threads, just like pedals.

Some bottom brackets (French and Italian standard) are right hand thread on both sides, so the right side needed to be reefed down super tight to keep from loosening.  Swiss and English, obviously designed by engineers, are left hand thread.

(Post edited after I got my Google on, because "I can't remember which is which" is no excuse at 5am)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/10/17 6:46 a.m.

Is a bottom bracket like a woman's foundation garment? If so, be careful with any impact.

Knurled.
11/11/17 7:58 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Is a bottom bracket like a woman's foundation garment? If so, be careful with any impact.

The bottom bracket is where your crank goes. 

1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0NRzHndzpzbXQYpGp6eqODT5HqFIbBSwxP5xiONenUvqqwVcHzBapnjw4FOQGcYD