1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 213
SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
11/17/17 10:21 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Damn!

Tough coincidence!

I keep my hair pretty short these days, ~1/2" or less, and just caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and had a flash of Travis. Not sure if there's a name for my "hairdo", not really thinning, but quite the widow's peak that I've had my whole life. just a lot more noticeable when it's short.

Hell, I'd shave it all off if the Mrs wouldn't get PO'd!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/18/17 8:42 a.m.

Today i learned that you should always count the money.  Always. 

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/18/17 1:26 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Story time?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/18/17 2:07 p.m.

Random guy from Craigslist called me at 4 last night from Ohio. Wanted to buy my niece's 77 F150. We negotiated a price over the phone of $1,700. He drove through the night and was at my house at 7 a.m. I thought for sure that a guy that drove that far on short notice would have brought all the cash in this sealed envelope he handed me. When I counted it after he left he only gave me 1500. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/18/17 4:39 p.m.

Call Ohio state police, tell them the truck was stolen.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/18/17 4:46 p.m.

Not worth it. Im ok with it, as it was my choice to not count, so i accepted what was in the envelope as full payment.  berkeleyed myself. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/17 6:20 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Always, always, always count the money.  Some people are looking to get over, some are very bad at counting but seldom does anyone err on the plus side.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/18/17 7:13 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Agreed.  And the one time I didn't....

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/17 8:33 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

May it stall at stops for the rest of his ownership. 

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/18/17 9:18 p.m.

That you can't power brake launch a Lamborghini Gallardo. 

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
11/19/17 7:06 a.m.

The next time I walk into a machine shop or any kind of metal fabrication shop and see a carpenter's hammer on the workshop table, I need to run in the other direction as quickly as possible. Lesson learned, I guess.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/17 1:48 p.m.

TIL that active suspension and differential control feels really cool when it's working right.

Also TIL that the S60R I just bought is actually a smidge shorter in length than my S40 is.  Wikipedia said longer.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/20/17 9:59 a.m.

TIL I'm working on Thanksgiving  and Black Friday in a parts house. I'm off on my birthday this Saturday though, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
11/20/17 12:24 p.m.

TIL that LSD in my father's GMT-400 duallie is either non-existent or thoroughly hashed, because I struggled to get out of a parking spot at work. Put the truck in gear and the right rear tires spun as soon as i took my foot off the brake, while the LR tires just sat there.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
11/20/17 12:56 p.m.
Knurled. said:

TIL that I accidentally bought an RX-3.

Great! I've got questions about where to get stuff for mine....

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/20/17 1:35 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

May it stall at stops for the rest of his ownership. 

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL blessing sir!

NickD
NickD UltraDork
11/22/17 8:54 a.m.

TIL that a young Vin Diesel did commercials for toys for the old children's cartoon Street Sharks. He is also dressed like a male stripper during said commercial. I can't stop watching it because of how absurd and hilarious it is. Thanks, Hoonigans!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
11/22/17 8:59 a.m.

TIL that red mud doesn't rinse off a white car. Some mechanical action is required. As a Georgia native, you'd think I already knew this, but no.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/17 9:10 a.m.

TIL that idiots will speed through traffic stop and get caught.

Last night leaving work, I am doing about 55 or 60 in a 50. A white Transit Connect blows by me like I am standing still. It's midnight, we all know the cops are looking for drunks. The road between Atlantic City and the mainland is flat with little cover as it runs through the marshes, about 2 miles down the road I can see a cop has somebody pulled over before my turnoff.

Get up to it, Absecon is out in force with two cars. One waiting, and one with the car pulled over. Take my turnoff, cross the overpass and there is Mr Transit Connect, with another Absecon Cop. Not only was he driving like an idiot, but he would have had to do it THROUGH the stop already in progress as the Absecon cops like to hang out at the gas station there. I give some people slack for speeding to work, you never know who is running late, but there is no reason to do it going home.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/22/17 12:53 p.m.

TIL I can't make the words 'good' and 'food' rhyme. It's probably just me.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/22/17 1:16 p.m.
The0retical said:

In reply to RossD :

A one serving bag of Skittles in the 3lb bowl of M&M's also wrecks peoples world.

A handful of these:

...shaken up in one of these:

...is pretty evil, too.  Credit to Ross413 for the story / idea.

boaty mcfailface
boaty mcfailface UberDork
11/22/17 1:59 p.m.

Today I learned that on a boat, disconnecting the cables to the battery is not a good idea to prevent a battery drain. Because then you disconnect the bilge pump. 

But hey at least the boat started up on the first turn of the key so there's that. Took over an hour to drain the boat on the ramp, and have dig in over the winter to diagnose all the accessories/lights not working. Probably just a fuse/fuses. I hope.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/22/17 2:08 p.m.
boaty mcfailface said:

Today I learned that on a boat, disconnecting the cables to the battery is not a good idea to prevent a battery drain. Because then you disconnect the bilge pump. 

But hey at least the boat started up on the first turn of the key so there's that. Took over an hour to drain the boat on the ramp, and have dig in over the winter to diagnose all the accessories/lights not working. Probably just a fuse/fuses. I hope.  

What? This doesn't make sense to me. All of our boats have a battery disconnect switch, and it doesn’t matter that that is how the bilge is run, because the bilge is on a manual switch.

And you either need to plug some holes/reglaze the glass, or get a cover. Badly.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/17 2:34 p.m.

yea, even my boat had mechanical switches for everything electrical, and will have them again. The only thing automatic is the bilge pump, which I get the feeling is the source of your electrical drain.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/17 9:30 p.m.

In the Eagles song “Take It Easy” the word is “cover”, not “brother”.  That was embarrassing.

1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1Gs2muq31UsAJI1mvNkKgmB7NwczvVomp8V66BRTWl6bFsHcJS8TZiEm5uaoPT6y