1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 213
paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
6/1/18 9:12 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Aside from graffiti and huffing, what nefarious uses does Rustoleum have?  I was going to google that, but suddenly had a reason to google Papua New Guinea instead...

Edit: TIL Heathkit Electronics is still in business.  Not in Benton Harbor anymore though.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/18 4:19 a.m.

In reply to paranoid_android :

That's pretty much it.

When I was a kid, I messed around with bikes a lot, and would often repaint bits.  Me and my friends knew which hardware stores to go to in order to buy paint, because most places would not sell you paint if you looked like you were under 18.

TIaL that Heathkit is still around.  Although I mainly know them as being an obscure never-actually-used protocol option when configuring a modem... but I know OF them.

NickD
NickD UberDork
6/4/18 7:06 a.m.

TIL that the SCCA/Tire Rack Finger Lakes Champ Tour is this weekend and not sometime in July like I thought it was. Now its time to scramble to get work off and get a hotel.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/18 7:43 p.m.

If you are too banged up to wipe yourself you really should eat corn.  This is quite a vacation.

Knurled.
6/4/18 7:49 p.m.

TIL that I have fifty bucks to my name until the end of the week.  I also have two cars that need to be fed, one to get me to work and back, and the other to get some miles on it so that it can be ready for the rallycross on Saturday.

Okay, I can do this.

wae
wae SuperDork
6/4/18 8:26 p.m.

TIL that meguiar's mirror glaze #2 works miracles.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
6/5/18 6:06 p.m.

TIL Blipshift picked up one of my designs for their shirts.  Woot!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/5/18 6:39 p.m.

Til there is fully functional desktop artillery. 

Knurled.
6/5/18 7:38 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

USB Nerf launcher?

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
6/5/18 7:42 p.m.

TIL not only is my '87 Pontiac Mullet Battle Cruiser considered cool enough for collector car insurance, it's noticeably cheaper to insure it that way. Lots of work to do on the car before that's a real concern and will obviously need to look into it more.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/5/18 8:25 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Nope. Black powder cannons that shoot bbs

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
6/5/18 8:43 p.m.

TIL that the disappearance of the Mcdonalds Playplace could be considered a valid social and cultural turning point in modern Canadian society.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
6/5/18 8:51 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man :

You just made me realize the McD's in my town doesn't have a play place anymore. I never thought about until now.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
6/5/18 9:57 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

My theory goes something like this; When I was a little kid, I spent a lot of time outside, and on very rare occasions I got to go to McDonald's to eat and play videogames at the PlayPlace. Kids nowadays spend a lot of time inside eating and playing videogames and very little time outside. When was the last time you saw a group of kids roaming around the neighborhood on bikes? It would be a cynical viewpoint to think that the reason for this is because it's easier than ever to keep kids busy rather than to actually raise them and let them grow, but I have to admit that the idea has floated through my head once or twice before. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/6/18 12:11 a.m.
Knurled. said:

TIL that I have fifty bucks to my name until the end of the week.  I also have two cars that need to be fed, one to get me to work and back, and the other to get some miles on it so that it can be ready for the rallycross on Saturday.

Okay, I can do this.

Stretch that for a month. You'll play my game.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/6/18 12:55 p.m.

TIL that Tyco's Turbo Train from the 1989 isn't actually a train. It's a Cliffhangers slot car with a "train" body towing 2 trailers, on painted tracks. 

I wanted that set so bad. What a disappointment that would have been.

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
6/8/18 12:12 a.m.

Today I learned how to turn a knob and open a door

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
6/8/18 7:27 a.m.
SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
6/8/18 7:30 a.m.

In reply to Toebra :

Hide the car keys!

wae
wae SuperDork
6/8/18 2:38 p.m.

I already knew that the GL applies the brakes as part of cruise control.  

TIL that when cruise control applies the brakes it does not also activate the trailer brake controller. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
6/8/18 3:46 p.m.
wae said:

I already knew that the GL applies the brakes as part of cruise control.  

TIL that when cruise control applies the brakes it does not also activate the trailer brake controller. 

That sounds like it might have been unintentionally exciting.

TIL that trans union doesn’t charge to temporarily lift a credit freeze, even though they are allowed to in my state.

Knurled.
6/10/18 7:04 a.m.

Speaking of stupid Mercedes tricks, TIL that DOHC Mercedes in the 70s could have a very Quadrajet looking Solex carb.

wae
wae SuperDork
6/10/18 8:13 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

It wasn't too bad.  I was only doing about 25mph down the hill from my house but when the color of the light on the controller didn't change as the brakes came on, my assumption was that the brakes on the trailer had become disconnected so it was just that momentary twinge of annoyance.

Today, however, I learned that r134a and r12 systems use ACME threads.  Which are kind of like flare.  Except nobody really has adapters or fittings in ACME sizes that I can find easily.

Knurled.
6/10/18 8:28 a.m.

In reply to wae :

That depends on your definition of "easily".  They aren't regularly stocked items like in the old days when you had DIY hoses running everywhere, but they are definitely orderable.  Our NAPA stocks them in te regional warehouse they make twice-daily runs to.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
6/10/18 9:57 a.m.

That my dad's fancy digital snap on torque wrench only goes down to 25 ft lbs. 

1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wND6O9J1CkLSu2CpIChbQL3smYqAiHUc2YkcOTBAbmyH6lKzDLsdPG8N2CCIcAB0