1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 213
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/18 5:46 p.m.

Since her accident The Wife has knitted 27 hats to send to hospitals for newborn babies. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
7/19/18 5:35 a.m.

TIL that you can run a Chevy Spark engine 28,000 miles on an oil change and that won't be what kills the engine.

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder New Reader
7/19/18 2:40 p.m.
Appleseed said:

TIL that Tyco's Turbo Train from the 1989 isn't actually a train. It's a Cliffhangers slot car with a "train" body towing 2 trailers, on painted tracks. 

I wanted that set so bad. What a disappointment that would have been.

I had that set as a kid. If you ran it with the cars attached they would fly off the track at anywhere near half throttle. My brother and I would normally pull the cars off and just run the "engines". It wasn't a bad little set, worked long enough that I still remember it. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/19/18 2:43 p.m.

In reply to BirgerBuilder :

The single track Turbo Trains were in fact  HO trains. That is a set  I would like to get my hands on .

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
7/19/18 3:15 p.m.

TIL:

A 3d printed license plate frame is perfectly fine in 103*f but turns all soft and mushy above 105*f.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
7/19/18 3:48 p.m.
barefootskater said:

TIL:

A 3d printed license plate frame is perfectly fine in 103*f but turns all soft and mushy above 105*f.

PLA?

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
7/19/18 3:50 p.m.
JamesMcD said:
barefootskater said:

TIL:

PLA?

No idea what the material is. The fellow who made it was kind enough to send me a spare, though I'll wait till it cools off a little before installing it.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/18 5:50 p.m.

Tom Cruise in the next Mission Impossible movie is older than Wilfred Brimley was in Cocoon. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/18 5:58 p.m.
Wally said:

Since her accident The Wife has knitted 27 hats to send to hospitals for newborn babies. 

My Grandma once sent a bunch of socks she knit to the VA. She used some type of super slippery synthetic material…I wonder if the VA ever figured out why their slip, trip, and fall statistics suddenly exploded.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/20/18 7:40 p.m.
Wally said:

Tom Cruise in the next Mission Impossible movie is older than Wilfred Brimley was in Cocoon. 

I knew you were correct the moment I read it, but wowsers, anyway.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/20/18 8:52 p.m.

TIL that 15 year old daughters have a lot of stress in their lives.   

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/20/18 9:06 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

TIL that 15 year old daughters have a lot of stress in their lives.   

Oh yeah.  As a father of two girls now in their 20's, teen years are hard.  Between mother's and hormones and bitchy friends and cllques and stupid teenage boys and schoolwork and zits and too small/big boobs and on and on and on...

wae
wae SuperDork
7/21/18 7:27 a.m.

TIL: Apparently it's my fault that:

1. my kid decided to play soccer
  2. she doesn't know where she put her water bottle after the last practice
  3. she didn't get her things ready yesterday when I told her to
  4. the scrimmage was scheduled for 9am today
  5. she left her phone in her friend's grandfather's car

All that and I haven't even finished my second cup of coffee yet.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/24/18 1:10 p.m.

If you search "Eclipse LSD" you get results for taking acid during an eclipse instead of limited slip differential for an Eclipse. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/24/18 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I actually have done that. 

The search, not acid during an eclipse.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/24/18 3:40 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I wouldn't have been surprised at either. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
7/24/18 3:52 p.m.

People will troll their own thread.

Okay, I didn't technically learn it today, but I was reminded today.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/24/18 3:53 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

LoLs

NickD
NickD UberDork
7/27/18 10:34 a.m.

TIL that the Aston Martin DB7 and the NA Miata share the same interior door handle.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/27/18 11:04 a.m.
NickD said:

TIL that the Aston Martin DB7 and the NA Miata share the same interior door handle.

I think it was the Vantage that had a Taurus steering wheel. Really. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
7/27/18 11:59 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

It's hilarious how they couldn't even make a new airbag cover with the shape of the Aston Martin logo molded in. Nope, they just jammed the Aston Martin logo into the oval for the Ford logo 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/18 6:36 p.m.

TIL that I can drive a truck for 14 hours out of 24.

Also, the 6 speed behind the 5.3 in the previous gen Silverado is a very nice transmission if you are towing.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/30/18 8:14 a.m.

TIL (or more accurately, over the weekend IL...) that in a pinch if you find yourself dealing with a horde of annoyed wasps because you accidentally discovered and disturbed their rather large nest when flipping the hot tub they made said nest in onto its side and you are completely out of any kind of bug spray, Brakleen is VERY VERY effective at killing said wasps. I think I went through like 3/4 of a tall can of the stuff over the course of Saturday afternoon and took out over 2 dozen wasps.

I also learned that starter fluid is (yes, this should be obvoius, but...) VERY VERY flammable. Said wasp nest still had a number of un-hatched portions, so after taking out the wasps themselves I dropped the nest into a small flower pot and sprayed it with starter fluid. I was probably still a few feet away when I lit the lighter to light it up and had to jump back from the fireball that ensued. VERY glad I was smart enough to have used the flower pot, and it toasted the nest quite thoroughly.

Finally- I learned that it IS possible to lay a 7' square hot tub down flat from being stood on its side by yourself- it's just HIGHLY ill-advised and almost in 'hold my beer' territory.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/30/18 8:56 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

This stuff from Home Depot will drop them out of the air.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/30/18 9:37 a.m.

In reply to RossD :

Oh, I don't doubt the efficacy of products actually made to kill them doing so- I was just in a situation where I realized I had just used the last of a can of wasp spray and still had a berkton of them buzzing around and needed something to use RIGHT NOW, and Brakleen was what I had and figured (correctly) would be pretty potent. Next trip to the store I'll be buying more actual insect spray, but the Brakleen did a solid job of dropping them when I needed it.

1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cOGWZYpDBiPhZIy84YXWC4Y9Mi773UaIafrJxjai0vmn6dAUeIpshg0FUoQGIxdy