1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 ... 213
Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/30/19 2:12 p.m.

TIL that International Harvester apparently once made appliances:

...and that the '50s were every bit as sexist as we now think they were.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/30/19 2:40 p.m.
Duke said:

My grandparents had a General Motors Frigid - Aire fridge in their garage for years. Probably still there. I think my great aunt also had a Philco-Ford fridge too.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/30/19 3:23 p.m.
mtn said:
Duke said:

My grandparents had a General Motors Frigid - Aire fridge in their garage for years. Probably still there. I think my great aunt also had a Philco-Ford fridge too.

On a related subject, my parents have an old Westinghouse refrigerator that my father's parents got when they got married in '48. And when they got it, it was used then, so this thing is from the early- to mid-'40s. It'll sit unplugged and unused for years at a time and then they'll need some overflow capacity and plug it in. It cools almost instantly and will go cold enough to make ice. Impressive piece of engineering. Of course, it weighs two tons and consumes electricity like it's free, but still, quite a machine.

Edit: Looks exactly like this one

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/30/19 10:13 p.m.

Today you learned Kelvinator, the refrigerator company, built more helicopters in WWII than all others combined  (including Sikorsky.)

Of course they were quickly nicknamed "Refrigerotors."

NickD
NickD PowerDork
10/1/19 12:30 p.m.

TIL that Teddy Roosevelt was the coffe-drinkingest president in history. Apparently, he drank an estimated FORTY CUPS A DAY. How his heart didn't come through his rib cage like a Chestburster from Aliens, we will never know.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/19 12:45 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

It kept his heart working despite his having been shot in the chest just before giving a 90 minute long speech.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
10/1/19 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Old-school pacemaker, eh?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/1/19 1:24 p.m.
NickD said:

TIL that Teddy Roosevelt was the coffe-drinkingest president in history. Apparently, he drank an estimated FORTY CUPS A DAY. How his heart didn't come through his rib cage like a Chestburster from Aliens, we will never know.

Well he only lived to age 60 despite being an active man, so... 

(Actual cause of death was a blood clot that traveled to his lungs)

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
10/1/19 1:40 p.m.
NickD said:

Imagine the guy’s breath. I think I just threw up in my mouth. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/1/19 1:42 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

Says the guy who hearts McD breakfast...

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/1/19 1:48 p.m.

40 cups a day???

Lightweight.....

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/19 2:01 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

His cousin, meanwhile, made a point of sleeping through relatively unimportant meetings in the early 40s.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
10/1/19 2:07 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

Touche.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
10/1/19 2:18 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Probably a much smarter move

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/1/19 2:22 p.m.
barefootskater said:
NickD said:

Imagine the guy’s breath. I think I just threw up in my mouth. 

Have you seen pictures of TR?  His teeth look like they were carved out of mahogany.

wae
wae SuperDork
10/2/19 7:45 a.m.

TIL: Don't hold a drive shaft by the u-joint.  Ow.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/19 11:02 a.m.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/5/19 11:59 a.m.
barefootskater said:

In reply to RossD :

Touche.

wink

NickD
NickD PowerDork
10/8/19 2:03 p.m.

TIL that the Buick Cascada was still in production. I learned this because they just announced it's ending production. And I work at a GM dealer. I recall 2 or 3 years ago, the dispatcher handing me an RO for a Cascada and standing there for a minute or two, staring at the RO, racking my brain as I fervently tried to recall what the berkeley a Cascada was. It always struck me as a pointless car. For more money than a Camaro convertible, you could get a car with a worse chassis, less power, less interior room, styling like an overturned bathtub and the interior stolen from a $20k Buick Verano.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
10/8/19 6:21 p.m.

TIL that Franklin D. Roosevelt's family fortune came from his grandfather's opium smuggling operations.

Per the History Channel.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/8/19 10:57 p.m.

TIL that many of the powerful families in the US are descended from one dude.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/9/19 7:40 a.m.
SaltyDog said:

TIL that Franklin D. Roosevelt's family fortune came from his grandfather's opium smuggling operations.

Per the History Channel.

Would it have been a smuggling, or legitimate importing business?  How long has opium been illegal?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/9/19 7:54 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

"Smoking opium" 1909, heroin 1924. 

Source link

Bayer was still selling heroin as a headache cure in the early 1900s, so unless his grandfather was smuggling it into China during the Opium Wars it was probably legal. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
10/9/19 2:19 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
SaltyDog said:

Per the History Channel.

Would it have been a smuggling, or legitimate importing business?  How long has opium been illegal?

https://www.theclassroom.com/what-was-the-source-of-the-fdr-family-wealth-12078550.html

"The wealthiest member of the Delano family was Warren Delano, the father of Franklin's mother, Sara. As a young man, Warren Delano apprenticed himself to importing firms in New York and Boston. At the age of twenty-four, he moved to Canton, China. There his amassed a considerable fortune exporting goods from China to the West and importing opium from India to China."

So not necessarily smuggling as per the History Channel, but you know, sensationalism.  

TIL, Don't take everything you hear on the History Channel as fact!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/11/19 11:44 a.m.

Today i learned that harbor freight hole saws meant for wood work really well on aluminium. Who knew?

1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9qWPECbuXXRAx9rIaxFnFgIkN9OXjosM58aeSLoZFlGfiCQJLqSN6Kh926qBcqJa