1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 ... 213
NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/28/19 8:43 a.m.

TIL that the arms dealer White Widow in Mission Impossible: Fallout is the daughter of arms dealer Max in the first Mission Impossible. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/29/19 11:44 a.m.

TIL you can't trust the TIL thread. A few pages back there was discussion around Buffalo wild wings, saying they were pretty good. Well last night for the first, and absolutely positively the last time in my 50 years on this earth we went to Buffalo wild wings. My God the whole place was horrible awful sensory overload and the wings were the worst crap I have ever tasted. Never, never, never ever again will I go to that E36 M3 hole.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/29/19 6:54 p.m.

No I think you misunderstood the thread. They USED to be good when they were a local Columbus OH business. Now I am sorry for the pain they have inflicted on the rest of the country. 

and on me as the sickest I've ever been was from food poisoning thanks to undercooked Buffalo Wild Wings. Stone cold in the middle and three days on the toilet. 

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/31/19 7:33 p.m.

TIL that you actually can finance a classic car by getting a professional appraisal that you have to present to the credit union so they will loan the money to you to lay down for that sweet, sweet classic ride.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/19 9:25 p.m.

I'm watching a documentary on dog sled racer George Attla.  It seems no matter what you race it takes a bit more time and money than you have. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/20 3:59 p.m.

TIL that video clips of Deadpool, dubbed in Hindi, are widely available on YouTube.

I'm moderately disappointed that Dopinder wasn't given a bad accent.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
1/1/20 11:25 p.m.

TIL where the brake fluid went in the KOTH car.  During the prep of our splendid little beemer we bled the brakes to get fresh fluid into the lines.

1/2 way through the event the "low brake fluid" light came on.  Today we were attempting to bleed the clutch with little success......because the slave cylinder had blown and was shooting fluid into the bellhousing.  New slave was sourced and installed and the exhaust is much roudier now.

Just in time for Saturday's event where it looks to rain and snow on us on track......this should be interesting.

wae
wae UltraDork
1/2/20 5:41 a.m.

I don't know what to tell ya, but the two BW3 that are by my house have been providing us with tasty, juicy, and meaty wings drenched in sauce for the last little bit now.  Maybe it's all location-dependant, but these two definitely have their act together.  I'm not saying they are the absolute best in the world or anything, but I wouldn't hesitate to call them good.

Today, however, I learned that there are people that think that Eggos are actually waffles.  And I feel really sorry for those people.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/2/20 7:47 a.m.
wae said:

I don't know what to tell ya, but the two BW3 that are by my house have been providing us with tasty, juicy, and meaty wings drenched in sauce for the last little bit now.  Maybe it's all location-dependant, but these two definitely have their act together.  I'm not saying they are the absolute best in the world or anything, but I wouldn't hesitate to call them good

I enjoy B-dubs, but I think I just hav low standards. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/2/20 7:47 a.m.

TIL that President John Tyler, who was born in 1790, still has two living grandsons. Not great-grandsons, or great-great-grandsons. Just grandsons.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
1/2/20 8:13 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Well, if he fathered a child at 70 (not unheard of) he had that one in 1860.  If that one sired offspring at 70 that brings it up to 1930 and they could easily still be alive. 

Weird but there you are.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/2/20 8:41 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

In reply to NickD :

Well, if he fathered a child at 70 (not unheard of) he had that one in 1860.  If that one sired offspring at 70 that brings it up to 1930 and they could easily still be alive. 

Weird but there you are.

That is basically what happened. I think the grandkids are a little older than that - born in like 1924 or something. Tyler had like 17 children.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/2/20 8:52 a.m.
mtn said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

In reply to NickD :

Weird but there you are.

That is basically what happened. I think the grandkids are a little older than that - born in like 1924 or something. Tyler had like 17 children.

Yeah, I looked it up. Still, crazy to think about. But isn't there a wife of a Civil War veteran who is still alive(or was until fairly recently)? Something like he served in the Civil War when he was young, then married her when she was 20 and he was like 80.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/20 8:55 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

While not one of our greatest presidents, Tyler had more children than any other: fifteen.

He had a son at the age of 63, and that son had sons at the age of 71 and 75. They were born 134 and 138 years after their grandfather.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/2/20 9:15 a.m.

I thought I was doing well, with all four of my grandparents born in the 1800's.  Youngest son of the youngest son deal.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
1/2/20 2:30 p.m.

My family runs the other way on kids.  There is a pic floating around somewhere with me as a baby, my mom at 19, her father at 40, his father at 60something, and his mother at late 80someodd.  Five generations in one shot.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/2/20 2:47 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

My family runs the other way on kids.  There is a pic floating around somewhere with me as a baby, my mom at 19, her father at 40, his father at 60something, and his mother at late 80someodd.  Five generations in one shot.

At my cousins wedding, we thought we got all the cousins together for a picture for the first time since Grandmothers funeral. Then we realized that it was the first time ever as 2 of the cousins weren't even born yet at Grandmothers funeral. 

We could claim 5 generations in one shot if we were allowed to include step-great-great-grandmother in there. Otherwise we can only do 4 at once. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
1/2/20 3:07 p.m.

that Hagerstown, Cumberland Val., Altoona have some really cheap large workshops.  Well I sorta knew that but there's a lot on CL right now.

2-4hr drive for sure.  

Altoona also has some cheap fixer uppers.  So does Cumberland Md.  Like as in how much I paid in rent last year cheap.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
1/3/20 6:44 p.m.

Today I learned that a 4x3 piece of MDF will fit in the back of a Ford Probe, but a 4x5 piece will not. 4x3 is about the limit, really.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/4/20 6:38 a.m.

that some company is making 350mm 6pot front and 4pot rear brake kits for the third gen odyssey. And possibly for the 2015+ Sedona.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/20 12:12 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I DD'd a 96 PGT for 8 years.  Can confirm they'll carry a remarkable amount of stuff.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/5/20 10:28 a.m.

"SEMA" is an interesting keyword for autotrader searches. 

wae
wae UltraDork
1/6/20 7:44 a.m.

TIL: Apparently one of the reasons that airlines nickle and dime us with seat selection fees, baggage fees, priority bording fees, exit row fees, and all that is it is only the base airfare that is subject to the 7% excise tax.  All those other fees are "free" to the airlines from a taxing perspective.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/20 10:39 a.m.

TIL that people do not like sunroofs. Both here and the rest of the world. I think people like the idea of sunroofs, but never use them except for the one time when they first buy the car. 

I know I am the exception to the rule, I use mine all year round unless it is snowing or raining. In the summer I use both of them.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/6/20 10:42 a.m.
mad_machine said:

TIL that people do not like sunroofs. Both here and the rest of the world. I think people like the idea of sunroofs, but never use them except for the one time when they first buy the car. 

I know I am the exception to the rule, I use mine all year round unless it is snowing or raining. In the summer I use both of them.

Add me to the exception. Use it all the time. 

1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oz4Gw536PZ8sh96HFZ3OpqEzrvSA84RUj4HbfaPlzUaADk1YDFvbpbvIWurhlaHj