1 2
kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/21/19 4:22 p.m.

So Kazoo Jr. got hit by an unlicensed, uninsured driver today.  His car is a 02 Protege5.  It has about a buck sixty five on the clock.  Before the accident, everything on the car was working, but it was just starting to show signs of the inevitable Protege "return to the earth".  Base on my look over and the tow drivers, I had it taken to a shop.  (It's a PL/PD car, so let's assume this is all OOP expenses)  Just got a call from the shop - repair estimate is $2800 to $3000.  The shop manager is someone I've dealt with a number of times and I feel like he's sort of recommending I send it into vehicular Valhalla. 

Minuses on the car: 165,000, rust starting around the rear wheel wells and under the car.  May be able to scrape a few bucks out of it by selling it to a yard and selling the second set of wheels/tires separately. 

Pluses on the car: It's a known commodity.  We have him set up with summer and winter wheels/tires.  It's a VERY good car in the snow.  The interior is very clean.  Heat/AC work well.  Kazoo Jr. loves the car.  For some reason insurance is stupid cheap for this car.

Discuss. 

Also fell free to add: I'm in the midwest and have a reliable XXXXX for sale for the same money you're about to pour into the Mazda.  XXXXX would need to be a manual, small, FWD.  Bonus points for 5X114 bolt pattern (to keep the snow tires)

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/21/19 4:44 p.m.

I'd probably junk it and/or part it out. 

I have a Miata in Chicago that is rust free that will be for sale very shortly if you're interested. Call it $4,000, comes with 2-3 sets of wheels, 1 set of tires is good, 1 might be good for autocross but not much else. 

EDIT: Missed the FWD part. Never mind. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/21/19 4:50 p.m.

Part out the good bits. Once rust starts on P5s it goes downhill quickly. 

I'd search for another later protege, MX6 or of course a BG chassis for potential replacements. (BG chassis will not have the bolt pattern you desire though). 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
2/21/19 4:55 p.m.

junk

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/21/19 4:58 p.m.

Lot of Toyotas use that same bolt pattern.  Time for a Celica?  Would be hard to want to spend $3k on a rusting Protege.  

My Suzuki SX4 uses that same bolt pattern and aren't worth much so maybe one of those if you happen to like them.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/21/19 5:44 p.m.

Start looking at what those wheels will fit. Then start planning a fly and buy adventure for you a Zoo Jr. He sounds like a guy who will keep any car a long time. The frustration he'll save fighting rotten rusty bits will be more than made up for the price of an airplane ticket. 

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
2/21/19 5:45 p.m.

Try and find a first-generation Vibe GT. Same bolt pattern as the P5, Toyota running gear, reasonable corrosion resistance, definite fun factor, quite good in the snow.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
2/21/19 6:06 p.m.

Walk away.  Or part it out if you can make it work out to your adavantage.

But I would never go through the trouble to bring it back.

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb HalfDork
2/21/19 6:08 p.m.

Sounds like something to go beat on

chandler
chandler PowerDork
2/21/19 6:12 p.m.

I have a 2012 mazda5 manual for sale for $4k, new clutch and whatnot. High miles but good car... 

id junk that out btw.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/21/19 6:27 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.  Chandler, we've already got a 5 and, although I love it, I'm not sure that's what I want to put my son in.

Anyone know anything about Scion TC's?  I'm assuming Toyota reliability.  From the initial CL scan, I'll have to weed through a lot of clapped out junk (pun somewhat intended), but pricing seems decent, some are manuals and it's FWD.  Bolt pattern looks different, but you can't have everything.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/21/19 6:37 p.m.
kazoospec said:

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.  Chandler, we've already got a 5 and, although I love it, I'm not sure that's what I want to put my son in.

Anyone know anything about Scion TC's?  I'm assuming Toyota reliability.  From the initial CL scan, I'll have to weed through a lot of clapped out junk (pun somewhat intended), but pricing seems decent, some are manuals and it's FWD.  Bolt pattern looks different, but you can't have everything.  

Back when my brother sold Toyotas, I made the comment "The Scion TC, for when you want the looks and practicality of a sportscar and the performance of a minivan". He told me that I shouldn't say something like that, it was insulting to the Sienna. 

That may be the best possible review for a teenager.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
2/21/19 6:38 p.m.

Junk, and look into recouping your losses from the state's uninsured/underinsured motorist fund.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/21/19 6:49 p.m.

The early TC had seats the would fold flat for activities. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
2/21/19 6:49 p.m.

Here's a nice manual 2002 ES with 125k on the clock for 2900. 

https://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/d/richmond-2002-mazda-protege-es-125k/6819569319.html

So, that's a "junk it" for me.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
2/21/19 6:58 p.m.
NGTD
NGTD UberDork
2/21/19 7:12 p.m.

Most Corolla's, Matrix and Vibe's that I have come across are 5X100. At least into the mid 2000's. I'm not sure what they did after that.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/21/19 7:22 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

You say $3k in damage.  I buy cars all the time with supposedly $4k worth of damage and they often need no more than a headlight if you are willing to live with a scratch or a wrinkle in the fender.  

Sample: This Pontiac Vibe was stated by State Farm to be a $4.5k car that had $4k worth of damage.  I spent nothing to fix it and sold it with the dent still there.  Another Focus where State Farm estimated $3.7k worth of damage and I spent $0

Got any pics of the damaged Protege?  What "needs" to be fixed?  What can be "lived with"?

I looked in the Kzoo CL.

Echo hatch  Didn't this one come up before?  200 on the speedometer must be Canada Spec kilometers.  Can this be titled/insured in Mich?  Wearing MI plates?  

Simple Civic 

Suzuki needs clutch  

Fiesta high-ish on miles at 136k but newer (2011) could mean less rust.

2012 Sonic asking only $2,750 w/116k and a turbo.  This is my favorite so far.  I wish it was the hatch rather than sedan but seems to be a good price.  Good enough that I would want to know more.  

johndej
johndej HalfDork
2/21/19 7:23 p.m.
kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/21/19 8:05 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks for the links.  I called on the Fiesta, but can't get out to look at it until Saturday.  I'm a little afraid it may be gone by then.  

As for his car, the front end is pretty much trashed.  Honestly, I'm pretty surprised (and thankful) the airbags didn't pop.  Hood won't close, both headlights are broken and it looks like the radiator support may be damaged.  

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
2/21/19 8:20 p.m.

I'd say junk it and ride off into the sunset. That Sonic looks like a fun car to drive but not enough to get in trouble.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/21/19 8:23 p.m.

As for gone before Saturday...  I think you are over estimating the number of people shopping for manual trans cars.  I'll take the bet that it will still be there.    I think I like the Sonic better (I know it is farther away.) 

Yeah, sounds like the Protege got knocked pretty hard.  Move on. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/19 8:29 p.m.

My daughter bought a Sonic LTZ Turbo a couple of months ago and loves it. Hers is a hatch. It scoots pretty good. 

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/21/19 8:53 p.m.

I'd say junk it, dealing with rust is no fun.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/19 9:50 p.m.

If it were rust free, I would be tempted to fix. Cleaning up after the tinworm is no fun

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QPMPepiVC3kfYcnK1dhGRxahcsiiJgF2Eteg1ntYM3Q5JzxeI4FbFliPtX0xMOqQ