1 2
oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
2/21/19 11:16 p.m.

The only reason I would keep it is to use it as an organ donor for a $500 one with something popped in the drivetrain. 

Torkel
Torkel New Reader
2/22/19 7:55 a.m.

I say Junk It too. Much quick to replace it and much more fun. You get a (surprisingly) lot of car for $3500 these days!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/19 12:07 p.m.

No on a tC if he loved the P5. They're polar opposite cars. The P5 is lightweight, balanced and offers tons of utility. The tC has a heavy glass roof that hinders turn in, balance and it's space utilization is terrible. 

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
2/22/19 12:16 p.m.
kazoospec said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks for the links.  I called on the Fiesta, but can't get out to look at it until Saturday.  I'm a little afraid it may be gone by then.  

As for his car, the front end is pretty much trashed.  Honestly, I'm pretty surprised (and thankful) the airbags didn't pop.  Hood won't close, both headlights are broken and it looks like the radiator support may be damaged.  

In your original post, you said he "got hit" by someone, but in this one you describe front end damage. Who hit who?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
2/22/19 12:22 p.m.
captdownshift said:

No on a tC if he loved the P5. They're polar opposite cars. The P5 is lightweight, balanced and offers tons of utility. The tC has a heavy glass roof that hinders turn in, balance and it's space utilization is terrible. 

Yeah, it's funny how almost everyone posting in this thread has turned into a salesman. 

Mazda.

There is no substitute.

(Apologies to Porsche)

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/19 12:28 p.m.
jstein77 said:
kazoospec said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks for the links.  I called on the Fiesta, but can't get out to look at it until Saturday.  I'm a little afraid it may be gone by then.  

As for his car, the front end is pretty much trashed.  Honestly, I'm pretty surprised (and thankful) the airbags didn't pop.  Hood won't close, both headlights are broken and it looks like the radiator support may be damaged.  

In your original post, you said he "got hit" by someone, but in this one you describe front end damage. Who hit who?

He posted in the Minor Rant thread about the jackwagon that pulled an illegal U-turn in front of the young kazoospec. 

So yeah, front end damage due to a car suddenly appearing in front of him from where it shouldn't have existed.

Driver asked why he didn't hit the brakes, the young kazoospec turned and pointed to the black tire marks leading up to the impact.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/22/19 12:37 p.m.

In reply to jstein77 :

Other driver was in the outside lane of a 5 lane road, my son was in the inner lane.  Other driver tried to pull a 5 lane u-turn, covering both lanes available to my son.  Other driver was cited for operating without a license and no insurance.  He was issued a formal warning for failure to yield and an illegal u turn.  Front end of my son's car hit the driver's side of the illegal u-turner.  There were some nice skid marks, so my son gave it the old "college try", but couldn't stop and didn't have anywhere to go.  From the looks of things, without HARD braking, he would have hit the other car in the driver's door, so we're thankful for that. 

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
2/22/19 2:14 p.m.

Ouch.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/19 2:24 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

is your Maz5 a typical OH rustbucket?

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
2/22/19 4:53 p.m.

Just out of curiosity, is the other driver walking away with just a ticket for no license and no insurance?   Is that the end of his responsibility?

chandler
chandler PowerDork
2/22/19 4:58 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to chandler :

is your Maz5 a typical OH rustbucket?

Nope, it’s quite nice and it’s a ‘12, they don’t rust like the previous gen. It has some door dings and the front bumper cover has a slit in it where my wife backed into it.

On stock wheels with crappy snow tires currently

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/22/19 7:38 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

In all likelihood, yes.  I'm sure he got a stern talking to as well.  I could sue him, but he is what they call in legal circles "judgment proof".  

Indecisiverock
Indecisiverock New Reader
2/22/19 11:04 p.m.

If the suspension components aren't rusted Id say part it out. Could recoup almost a grand back on selling the engine and trans, the hubs and associated braking system for those of us with the 4 lug drum brake cars, and the interior since the black interior is sought after.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/23/19 6:07 a.m.
John Welsh said:

I looked in the Kzoo CL.

Echo hatch  Didn't this one come up before?  200 on the speedometer must be Canada Spec kilometers.  Can this be titled/insured in Mich?  Wearing MI plates?  

Simple Civic 

Suzuki needs clutch  

Fiesta high-ish on miles at 136k but newer (2011) could mean less rust.

2012 Sonic asking only $2,750 w/116k and a turbo.  This is my favorite so far.  I wish it was the hatch rather than sedan but seems to be a good price.  Good enough that I would want to know more.  

I had bet that the stick shift Fiesta would still be available on Saturday  Well, here on Sat morning and not only is the Fiesta gone but all but the questionable Toyota Echo have been deleted/sold.

Seems that manual trans cars are selling quicker than I thought  

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/23/19 7:08 a.m.

I think we may have our solution: akylekoz is awesome

The Protege is officially dead.  One of the guys in the body shop I took it to is going to part it out.  I got a few hundred bucks out of it and didn't have to pay for another tow to get it to the scrapyard.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/23/19 10:04 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Suzuki SEX4Ss are neat. 

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
2/23/19 9:52 p.m.

My vote is for Nissan Versa hatch or sedan. You can find a newer one with a stick shift for $3.5-$4k w/manual everything. These are solid cars. I have a 15 hatchback w/stick shift and its been a good solid car. I average 35 mpg in mine. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8YsolO1ZcF7RD8KybDzwpRscZCcZWgx75MKIZ7Dj8VxBjQQSkFhKCuFPIGsfghRU