1 2 3 4
Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
4/19/18 11:21 a.m.

Day 8 of tonsillectomy hell, and major victory: She ate an egg! Not only that, she insisted on cooking it herself because she wanted to make sure it was perfect. All good signs, even if it took an ice pack, a Percocet and some lidocaine wash to get her ready to do it. That’s the first non-Jello or ice-based food she’s had.

And thanks all for sharing stories, tips and support. We are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and at this point, I don’t think either of us cares if it’s actually a train.

Margie

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/19/18 11:59 a.m.

Ugh.... I have at many points considered if I should have mine removed (yes, I'm in my 40's) because they're ridiculously large and annoying. This definitely pushes me back down the 'just deal with it as it is' path, where I'll likely stay unless they somehow  become life-threatening. Though losing a whole lot of weight fast would be kind of an up-side... :P

Glad she's doing at least a bit better!

Marjorie Suddard
4/19/18 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

I have horrible tonsils. And after this, will until I die.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/19/18 1:29 p.m.

I havent had my tonsils out, and I'm not very funny when I try to be so I havent posted anything yet.  I'm glad she's feeling better.  The blood post had me worriedwink

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/18 1:32 p.m.

yes

Marjorie Suddard
4/19/18 4:35 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill :

The blood had me worried, too. Like Indy with snakes, it’s the one thing I most hoped not to see. Doc auctioned off a small clot and cauterized the spot, which set her back some yesterday (again), but I’m crediting it—and time—for today’s progress. Fingers crossed that’s the last bump in this E36 M3 road.

Margie

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/19/18 4:41 p.m.

I had mine out when I was 5.  This was 1962. They used an ether mask to knock me out.  This was like a screen mask they put over  your mouth and nose then dribbled ether onto it.  

All I remember of the aftermath is I got to eat ice cream for every meal for a week and I got paregoric for the pain med.    

Oh, and I got a little badge with a giraffe announcing I got my tonsils out.  I think it was because giraffes have long throats.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/19/18 5:55 p.m.

I still have mine, and after reading this thread, I'll be keeping them.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
4/20/18 5:48 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Likewise.

So is the pain worse in adulthood, or is it just that you don’t remember it as much if you have them out when you’re a kid?

Regardless, very sorry. That’s gotta be rough to watch the kid go through.

I got chicken pox when I was 17...the day before my senior year spring break...contracted from the little brother of the girl I was dating who dumped me the following week.

I’ve also got some pretty gnarly scars on my face, as I was told if all the sores “flaked off,” I could go to the Jawbreaker show. 

Good times!

Also: Where do cats go to see a movie?

The MEEEYOOOOOOOOWVIE theater.

It’s better when my 4-year-old tells it.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/20/18 6:20 a.m.

I woke up this morning with my throat feeling like it was nearly swollen shut (fortunately it feels better now).   The first thing I thought of was this thread...  Which got me thinking - various types of frozen smoothies?  And also thinking just about anything could be mixed with ice in a blender and turned into a smoothie...  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/20/18 6:50 a.m.
poopshovel again said:
1988RedT2 said:

Likewise.

So is the pain worse in adulthood, or is it just that you don’t remember it as much if you have them out when you’re a kid?

Also: Where do cats go to see a movie?

A lot less painful for children, less risk of infection, less chance of bleeding during recovery...

poopshovel again
4/20/18 8:24 a.m.

What did the zero say to the eight?

Nice belt, berkeleyface!!!

That one is not as funny when the 4-year-old tells it. I had to amend the punchline to make it funny. 

Her version is just “berkeleyface!!!”

poopshovel again
4/20/18 8:27 a.m.

Why aren’t hookers allowed to hang out in prison parking lots?

Because you never end a sentence with a proposition.

Marjorie Suddard
4/20/18 8:39 a.m.

Thanks, jokes are helping. They need to, to counteract the rage that she did not get a stuffed giraffe. She got squat (unless you count  the ugly yellow compression socks we kept).

poopshovel again
4/20/18 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

Battling ATL traffic is the ultimate sacrifice.

Marjorie Suddard
4/20/18 10:31 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

ATL traffic battles ME when I have a bleeding kid in the car.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/20/18 10:46 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

In reply to poopshovel again :

ATL traffic battles ME when I have a bleeding kid in the car.

In Mother Russia, tonsil takes out you!

Marjorie Suddard
4/20/18 10:51 a.m.
mtn said:

In Mother Russia, tonsil takes out you!

Here, too.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
4/20/18 1:09 p.m.

When you break your leg, it ends up in a cast and you don't use it for six weeks.  With tonsils (and pretty much everything else in the digestive tract), you have to rely on that area minutes after the surgery is over.  Even when not eating, air flows in and out over the area, carrying dust, bacteria, and other contaminants.  So every day is three steps forward and two steps back.

If Katie's tonsils were causing constant illness or infection, then being rid of them will pay great dividends. However, that's hard to reconcile when everything she eats feels like swallowing razor blades.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/20/18 1:14 p.m.

Well today is 420, so...whatever. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/20/18 1:25 p.m.

I haven't laughed this much in a while.  Good jokes. 

As far as needing the surgery, I could could use it to lose the weight.   

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
4/20/18 7:28 p.m.

My wife had hers removed for her 16th birthday and said it took about a week of ice cream and yogurt. I'm 31 and they keep hinting about removing mine, they have been enlarged since I was a teenager. Stories like this are why I keep saying no. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/20/18 7:56 p.m.

I wonder if you put a Dobhoff tube in and just squirted Ensure down if it would all be easier.  Especially at the beginning when you couldn't get anything down her.

Marjorie Suddard
4/20/18 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

My dad died from pharyngeal cancer, and among the ugly flashbacks this experience prompted, I did look back almost fondly to his feeding tube.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/20/18 8:30 p.m.

Properly placing one is not difficult, but involves an X-Ray to confirm placement, etc.  I had a pancreatitis patient once that would just pull his out, go outside for a while, probably to smoke, then come back and put it back in.

I've explained the difference between a PEG and a Dobhoff tube to my wife.  I'm DNR, thanks.  No on PEG, OK on Dobhoff.  No on tracheostomy, OK on intubation.  When I go, it will be like "WOO HOO!  I WIN!  I BEAT YOU GUYS!"

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B1XaqHwnV3QCFxO9GNfBc2OzVyutg7hFxPaZF3kmv1JHf2Y607bb2WipfFIkVFpU