1 2
Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
6/4/19 7:51 p.m.

I'll start with this ill-conceived monstrosity.       

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/4/19 7:57 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy :

Wtf is that?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
6/4/19 7:58 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E :

Used to retract screw out brake calipers

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
6/4/19 8:03 p.m.

Those can kinda work ok if youre used to them.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/4/19 8:27 p.m.

Adjustable wrenches.

They work (poorly), but we all keep using them, don't we?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/19 9:13 p.m.
Grtechguy said:

In reply to Furious_E :

Used to retract screw out brake calipers

I’d argue that the guy that came up with the screw in piston should have a special place in hell. I much rather have ebrake be shoe operated. 

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
6/4/19 10:04 p.m.

Maybe it's because I don't work on old American cars but the "brake pliers" found at every parts store are the most worthless things I have encountered. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
6/4/19 10:08 p.m.

That's it, blame the tool....

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/19 10:16 p.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:

Maybe it's because I don't work on old American cars but the "brake pliers" found at every parts store are the most worthless things I have encountered. 

I have 3 sets for some reason, but the best tool for drum brake springs is the long flat screwdriver mixed with a side of vise grips.  I should put all 3 sets in the next new years game box.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/4/19 10:19 p.m.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/19 10:40 p.m.

The bits are never strong enough and break the ears off at the slightest hint of torque.

Also, why are these used on a residential grade squirrel cage floor fan that requires cleaning.

Just stupid all around indecision

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
6/5/19 9:44 a.m.

How about "Let's blame the engineer that designed something that required a terrible tool to fix it" instead. 

Tamper proof torx screws require the tamper proof torx bits which Euro manufacturers love to utilize. So we can blame BMW and VAG for having to use said tamper torx bits. 

Plastic push clips that can neither withstand engine bay heat nor any climate and can brake/fail/disappear after only a year. 

Plastic timing chain guides. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/5/19 9:52 a.m.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/5/19 10:23 a.m.

I was going to say don't blame the tool, blame the moron that designed something that needed a special took made.

wae
wae SuperDork
6/5/19 10:31 a.m.

I almost launched my caliper retractor tool into the stratopshere a couple weeks ago.  I bought it to use on a Honda or maybe the RX-7 about 15-18 years ago.  Used it that one time then put it away and didn't need it.  Suddenly, I was trying to fiddle with the brakes on the wifemobile and Mazda has screw-in calipers on the back of the MZ5.  Great!  I drove over to the shop, grabbed that tool, blew off all the dust, and bought it back to the house where I was working on the car.

Good news, everybody!  That's got 6 different patterns on it, right?  Apparently there are at least 7 different patterns in use by auto manufacturers.  So much for having the special tool.

Really, the special place in hell needs to be for the design engineer that decided that he needed to make up his own fastener and not use one that was already on the shelf and in popular use.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
6/5/19 10:32 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

Adjustable wrenches.

THESE, on the other hand, are utterly brilliant.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/5/19 10:44 a.m.
Professor_Brap said:

Nothing wrong with triple-squares except that they're different.  They center well, they don't strip, and you can put a monster amount of torque through them.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
6/5/19 10:45 a.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

Just use a punch to knock out the pin in the tamperproof torx and you've instantly improved the design.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
6/5/19 10:45 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:
Brett_Murphy said:

Adjustable wrenches.

THESE, on the other hand, are utterly brilliant.

+1

I thought I was the only one who knew about those.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/5/19 11:01 a.m.
codrus said:
Professor_Brap said:

Nothing wrong with triple-squares except that they're different.  They center well, they don't strip, and you can put a monster amount of torque through them.

Ill disagree, on both my mk4 golfs they came either prestripped, or the bits broke. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/5/19 11:10 a.m.

Needle nosed vise grips are my caliper tool. Set the width and lock it down. Done. 

tester
tester New Reader
6/5/19 11:35 a.m.

In reply to wae :

I took a grinder and a file to my “brake cube” to make it fit different profiles. Also, I chuck it up with a big c-clamp and use a big screwdriver or pry bar to turn it for the first turn or two. After that, the piston will usually turn back into caliper without too much drama. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/19 12:07 p.m.
Professor_Brap said:

I love these.  Tbey can take a lot of torque, but they won't round out like internal hex and they won't break the tool like Torx.

Never use an impact gun on a Torx socket unless you are a broken tool enthusiast.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/5/19 12:16 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Using a manual impact driver worked well getting the Torx bolts out of the Xterra intake. Trying to just spin them without the impact factor just rounded out the bolts.

dps214
dps214 New Reader
6/5/19 12:30 p.m.
codrus said:
Professor_Brap said:

Definitely another "blame the auto engineer, not the tool engineer" but they absolutely do strip out when porsche decides to use them on super shallow head M8 (I think?) clutch bolts that require an almost unreasonable amount of torque. Also things like axle bolts that tend to clog up with oil/grease and turn it into a shallow head bolt would strip almost immediately and then get replaced with a bolt that takes a regular hex key. The one good thing about the triple square tools is that they work pretty well as bolt extractors. Once you've wiped out the hole in the bolt, hammer in the next size up tool and it usually worked.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FJsgY0nJbu6kSRXrxBniIGUC29G4ROUG1mnU7nbc9tdip1vHG9tXAe8S7PkbBVwe