1 2
Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/19 4:22 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

Use a blowgun to blow the gunk out.  Mandatory for any socket headed bolt.

Just pushing it in and shrugging when it strips apart isn't the design's fault, it's user error.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/5/19 6:13 p.m.

If its necessary to use a tool in order to use a tool, the original tool sux. ( I am aware that there are exceptions.) At the vary least, the object the tool is being used on is being employed incorrectly. If gunk is very likely to get in, use a different fastener.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/5/19 7:05 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Using a manual impact driver worked well getting the Torx bolts out of the Xterra intake. Trying to just spin them without the impact factor just rounded out the bolts.

Speaking of which, the manual impact driver is probably top 3 on my list of all time favorite tools. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/19 7:52 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Socket headed fasteners are ideal for machine assembly because you can load the fastener on the tool and snake it to where it has to go. Also makes it really easy to work on them, too. Stick the bolt on the Allen/Torx/XZN/whatever, which is also loaded on a 3" or 6" or 12" extension, and slip that inacessible bolt in place.

It really makes you appreciate how good they are, the first time you're trying to get to the center intake manifold bolt on a 4 cylinder Duratec and realize that it would be a ton easier if it was an Allen bolt and not a 10mm hex. "Fastener access is way harder on the back of an Audi V6 but they never fought me this hard..."

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/5/19 9:49 p.m.

If you can convince a farmer sod busting clay that they are the best, I'll join you. laugh

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/5/19 11:46 p.m.
ShawnG said:
volvoclearinghouse said:
Brett_Murphy said:

Adjustable wrenches.

They work (poorly), but we all keep using them, don't we?

THESE, on the other hand, are utterly brilliant.

+1

I thought I was the only one who knew about those.

Huh, I didn't know those were a thing. While searching on Amazon, I came across this monstrosity:

Seems like a great way to smash the ever-loving berkeley out of your hands frown

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/6/19 3:50 p.m.

I bought one of these just because I needed to own something soo terrible. 

It is at least as terrible as you think it is. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
svTXbAdkRHSL2J0PH576VbwB5ozOlJ1pFHtZQuDCwBHtc43XWjA94WQxEHhF47QW