1 2 3 4
Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/5/17 12:25 p.m.

Glancing through one of the deal sites I frequent in their tools/outdoor section I came across something I'd never seen or heard of before but instantly realized would have saved me a LOT of headaches over the years:

Hose Clamp Pliers

(link goes to Amazon since the deal site link won't work after a few days)

These would have made the work on the Riv trying to replace its radiator hoses INFINITELY easier.

What are some other tools you didn't realize existed but once you did knew would save you a lot of time and headache?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
5/5/17 12:37 p.m.

Ball joint popper, $20 at HF and never screw up a boot with a picklefork again.

Also, channellock type pliers with V jaws, way more useful than the standard jaws.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
5/5/17 12:39 p.m.

For me...

Transmission jacks. Holy crap... no more balancing a 200lb monster over your head to get the dowels aligned while trying to start bolts all while trying to not let it fall on your head. Yes, I know they've been around a looooong time. finally bought one and couldn't belive how easy it was to get the angle just perfect.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/17 12:43 p.m.

Nutcracker.

photo Sway bars 001_zpsmldnddcu.jpg

photo Sway bars 005_zps7ukyn4lh.jpg

photo Sway bars 007_zpsedkt4xru.jpg

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/5/17 12:51 p.m.

Woody. You just blew my mind. I had no idea that thing existed.

Ashyukun
5/5/17 12:54 p.m.
mtn wrote: Woody. You just blew my mind. I had no idea that thing existed.

I've seen them, but they were more like a C-clamp than pliers like that- Woody's look far more useful...

java230
java230 SuperDork
5/5/17 12:55 p.m.

And my tool budget will be increasing shortly. Keep it coming!

Ricky Spanish
Ricky Spanish Reader
5/5/17 12:56 p.m.

powered ratchet

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/5/17 1:13 p.m.
mtn wrote: Woody. You just blew my mind. I had no idea that thing existed.

Wait until you see the price.

Still... could save a good bit of time.

For hose clamp pliers, it pays to get the complete set. Especially if you work on modern cars with band-type hose clamps.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
5/5/17 1:17 p.m.

Channelock makes a "nut buster" pair of pliers. It's perfect for the rusted and rounded off fasteners. Best $20 I spent that day off the tool truck.

Ashyukun
5/5/17 1:18 p.m.
Ricky Spanish wrote: powered ratchet

Interesting (or perhaps not) story regarding those...

I've had one for nearly a decade- one came as part of the Craftsman air tools package I got shortly after starting to work on cars purely because it was just a bit more expensive than just getting the impact gun alone.

I essentially never used it- I just didn't see the point. Until last year when I was working on the PA Ultra and was getting tired of wrenching in an odd position putting the heads back on- and decided to grab the air ratchet. It made that FAR easier. Still don't reach for it as often simply because most of the time I don't have the compressor up and running- but if I do, I remember it's there to make repetitive wrenching (like removing all the head bolts) far less annoying.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/17 1:23 p.m.

Why, why did I wait so long?!?!?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/5/17 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun:

The one pictured is the Milwaukee M12 cordless ratchet. JG has praised it a few times during his GRM Facebook Live videos.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/5/17 1:31 p.m.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/5/17 1:31 p.m.

The only time I don't use a 3/8" air ratchet is when it doesn't fit or I need super fine control.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
5/5/17 1:35 p.m.

The biggest tool I wish I knew about ten years ago is how to make money. I still don't know how to make money so I can't afford to buy tools.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
5/5/17 1:41 p.m.

I don't use mine anymore, but that's mainly because I don't like running my compressor more often than absolutely needed (loud oilless Craftsman). They are fun when your buddy is under the car with it, bends it a weird way, breaks the quick disconnect fitting, which leaves the air hose whipping around under the car with him, as he's yelling "Shut it off! Shut it off!"

My contribution, which I think I've mentioned before, is a JIS screwdriver. They're great for removing Phillips screws that are stuck, as the screwdriver won't cam out and destroy the screw head.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/5/17 1:45 p.m.

You guys are STILL missing the point that that is an ELECTRIC ratchet powered by a BATTERY.

No compressor needed.

Credit: IanF

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/5/17 1:50 p.m.
Robbie wrote: You guys are missing the point that that is an ELECTRIC ratchet powered by a BATTERY. No compressor needed.

Ahem!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/5/17 1:52 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
Robbie wrote: You guys are missing the point that that is an ELECTRIC ratchet powered by a BATTERY. No compressor needed.
Ahem!

Fixed my post.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/5/17 1:53 p.m.

These are just so trick for pulling the brake caliper pins for a pad swap on BMWs.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
5/5/17 1:54 p.m.

Not an automotive tool but when I discovered this little gem (came free with the N88 framing nailer). When you need to drive a nail and nothing else fits, this thing is the bees knees!

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
5/5/17 2:01 p.m.
Robbie wrote:
Ian F wrote:
Ahem!
Fixed my post.

Ooh, that changes things. Are they quieter than an air powered one?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/5/17 2:05 p.m.

In reply to eastsidemav:

From what I've seen yes - about the same noise level as electric impact guns.

Ashyukun
5/5/17 2:05 p.m.

I noticed that it was a battery-powered one and not air. That's something I'll put on my 'to buy' list down the line... I just wish that Bosch made an 18V one that worked with my current batteries...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rR6JOP4z4f5st2jjJB4tklu1UK4HqnlIA6HPRpd2mINaIyak44AVX1V0SJbO3tPE