1 2 3 ... 6
drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
11/1/13 10:20 p.m.

Totally random tips, tricks, hacks for anything that you would never post anywhere, but may help others.

Here is the criteria.

Much like the rules for the "Chinese Downhilll" in the Movie "Hot Dog". "There are none".

This is like Formula Libre. A catch all, for anything that you have learned that would likely never be posted anywhere else because no one has ever asked the question.

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
11/1/13 10:22 p.m.

Allow me to start.

When attaching a tarp to trees, tie a bungee cord inline with the ropes to keep high winds from ripping the E36 M3 out of the tarp.

When working alone, if you want to shut off an electrical outlet from the breaker. But have an unlabeled panel. Bring the base station of a cordless phone (the part that plugs into the phone line). Plug it into the outlet you want to shut off. Shut off a breaker then press the button you would normally press to make a call.
If it says unable to connect (your message may vary). You have the correct breaker. If it doesn't say that, keep trying. Of course don't be stupid still use a multimeter to check for voltage.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
11/1/13 10:32 p.m.

when in doubt, just zip tie everything together. you can even string them together for those bigger jobs..

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
11/1/13 10:45 p.m.

Those older circa 1940-1980 light switches in nicer buildings with no spring action or sound when you use them aren't worn out and in need of replacement. They are built that way and use a mercury tilt switch rather than a over center mechanism and solid contacts.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/1/13 10:47 p.m.

Leaves of three, let it be, leaves of four, eat some more.

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
11/1/13 10:49 p.m.

If you are labeling an electrical panel (to figure out what breaker shuts off what).

Label each breaker with a number.

Then on the back of the outlet plate (or switch plate) put the corresponding number. Permanent marker will usually suffice.

When you want to shut off an outlet, take off the plate. Note the number, and shut off the breaker with the same number.

If you change the plate be sure to re mark it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/13 10:53 p.m.

When cutting aluminum, put some wax on the saw blade. It'll keep the blade from getting fouled up with aluminum goobers.

Never eat anything bigger than your head.

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
11/1/13 11:02 p.m.

If you have a slow or clogged drain. You can use a shop vac to unclog it. If it is a tub or sink.

First. Cover the overflow with a wet towel.

Then put the shop vac suction hose, directly over the drain. This should pull up whatever is causing the clog or slowness.

It may take several tries. And you may have to switch between the suction and the blower feature. This works especially well on unvented drains. If the drains are vented, it will only pull out objects stuck before the vent.

If something is stuck after the vent, you have to plug the vent. Again a wet towel stuffed into the vent is best, but be sure to tie a rope around it then tie the rope to a thick length of wood to ensure the towel doesnt' get sucked down the vent.

If it is a toilet, again a wet towel is the ticket.

Put the suction hose as far down into the toilet bowl as possible. Wrap the suction hose in the wet towel. Then turn the shop vac on. When you hear the thunk it should be clear.

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
11/1/13 11:20 p.m.

When arguing with one of your bosses, the color of his face will usually tell you when to just walk away.

A slightly red hue means it's safe to keep disagreeing with him. Bright red means you should probably make one last point.

Once the boss's face starts to take on a vaguely purplish-color, it's probably best to just walk away...

Doesn't matter how wrong the boss is. Not sayin'', just sayin''.

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
11/1/13 11:36 p.m.

If you are boating, or in the wilderness. You can track electrical storms using AM radio. As long as you know where you are that is....

drsmooth said: I have come up with a way to track electrical storms using AM Radio. I work at a tramway which goes over the ********** Gorge. One of the biggest problems I face is frequent lightning storms. With over 500M of steel cable to deal with and a slow motor to send and return the Gondola, lightning can be a big problem. Radar doesn't show electrical storms. AM Radio does! AM radio works by beaming the stations signal up. The signal bounces off the atmosphere and comes back to Earth. As a result any lightning strike between where you are and the AM transmitter sounds like a crackling sound (the signal breaks up). What does this mean for you? Before leaving on a trip. Figure out what AM stations can be received, where you are going to be. Then figure out where the station (or transmitter) is located. If you can create a perimeter of stations and know where they are located you can track electrical storms (before they hit, during and after they have passed). For example: Storm traveling west to east. AM radio on station to the west of current location. Hear crackling get off water. Tune to AM station to east of current location. Once crackling is heard on station to east the storm has (likely) passed by. You can tune back in to AM stations to the west to confirm the storm has passed by.

To add to my quote.. If you just want to know that lightning is in the area. Tune you AM radio to a empty frequency, preferably in the lower reaches of the AM band although most places on the band should work. It will still crackle with each lightning strike in range, regardless of direction.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
11/1/13 11:53 p.m.

Never stick your finger anywhere you wouldn't stick your dink.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/2/13 12:49 a.m.

You can see two or three cars ahead of that truck in front of you if shadows are long.

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
11/2/13 12:51 a.m.

If you want to reuse zip ties. Do this.. Re use zip ties

I would have typed how to do it but someone else recorded a video..

Which leads me to another tip. If you discover a tip or trick to do something, and want to describe it to others. Look to see if someone has already posted a video or tutorial on the web. If they have, copy and paste it...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
11/2/13 1:39 a.m.

Never re use zip ties for "mission critical" stuff, they don't grab as well the second time.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/2/13 4:06 a.m.

If you're going to rivet a sheet metal panel to some square tubing, this technique will make it easier to keep the tubing holes aligned with the holes in the sheetmetal:
1) hold sheet up to tubing, and trace the outline of the tubing onto the back side of the sheet metal.
2) pick hole location and use punch there so bit won't wander
3) drill hole in sheet metal
4) clean edge on both sides
5) clamp sheet metal to tubng, and drill hole in tubing THROUGH the sheet metal hole

Presto. All you holes are lined up, and all of them go into the tubing.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/13 6:03 a.m.

In reply to grafmiata: I used to carry a grape blow pop for reference. That seemed to speed up the color change.

My safety tip a few weeks ago was "Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn."

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/2/13 6:45 a.m.

If you don't use your printer/copier/scanner/whatever very often, keep your spare printer paper sealed inside a large zip-lock baggie, or air-tight plastic tub. Printer paper is quite similar to a paper towel - it does a darn good job of absorbing moisture from the air, and then releasing it during dry weather. You'll find that most paper jams occur during the change from winter to spring, and fall to winter, when the weather changes from very raining to very cold and dry, then back again. Keeping your spare paper sealed up prevents it from absorbing too much moisture and causing the pages to stick together, and also from drying out and allowing static to stick the pages together.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/2/13 7:37 a.m.

Thanks Heloise(s)

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
11/2/13 3:32 p.m.
petegossett wrote: If you don't use your printer/copier/scanner/whatever very often, keep your spare printer paper sealed inside a large zip-lock baggie, or air-tight plastic tub. Printer paper is quite similar to a paper towel - it does a darn good job of absorbing moisture from the air, and then releasing it during dry weather. You'll find that most paper jams occur during the change from winter to spring, and fall to winter, when the weather changes from very raining to very cold and dry, then back again. Keeping your spare paper sealed up prevents it from absorbing too much moisture and causing the pages to stick together, and also from drying out and allowing static to stick the pages together.

If you don't use your printer/copier/scanner/whatever very often, The ink will dry up where it comes out of the cartridge (print head). To get it flowing again put 1/4 inch of hot water in a teacup. But the the cartridge in, print head down. leave it until you see color or black in the water. It should now work. Be sure to thoroughly dry it before putting it back in the printer.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
11/2/13 5:19 p.m.

A spent co2 bottle from a BB gun works perfectly for reshaping the mouth of 12 gauge shotgun shells. Chuck the bottle up in a drill, and gently insert it while spinning. Especially usefull for reloading slugs.

The
The Reader
11/2/13 6:56 p.m.

No matter which way the wind blows, it's allways cold when your alone. (TR)

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/2/13 8:04 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Never re use zip ties

That works, too.

Don't get them from Harbor Freight, either.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
11/2/13 8:11 p.m.

What's wrong with HF zip ties? Last jar I bought seems to meet the given specs.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
11/2/13 8:29 p.m.

Best_thread_evar.

berkeley baseball. Think about golf. If that doesn't work, think about grandma. If that doesn't work, think about bloody kittens.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/13 9:09 p.m.

Keep a hitch pin in your receiver. Makes it really easy to attach a tow strap or chain, you just slide the rope into the receiver and put the pin through the loop. It'll never slip out. And keep a tow strap in the truck.

Put a chocolate chip granola bar in the microwave for about 5-10 seconds before eating it, very yummy.

I'd like to point out that I ended up watching a good part of Hot Dog last night on YouTube. Then I moved on to Blizzard of Aaaahs. Thanks, I haven't seen either one in about 30 years.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AuRmqgBhXOISfi6WrzfLfLZT3m8acUMLBXW1LXr8qvsrJgQOyB8fdxI9T3AhxWTS