1 2 3
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/16 8:13 p.m.

After the High Falls stop, we continued southwest toward Duluth. The planned stop for the night was primitive campground in Wisconsin. I did take a detour down a couple of rock roads and stopped to shoot a few pictures of Superior.

I was so tempted to take a right turn and disappear into the Superior National Forest for a month or two.

The next stop was to be Gooseberry Falls State Park. They were supposed to be a pretty set of falls that were tame enough to get wet in. What a miserable place that was. It screamed "Tourist Trap" from the gift shop full of Chinese junk to the throngs of people trampling every surface and plant. Yuck. We stayed long enough to take a picture of the falls and climbed in the truck to look for less crowded places.

We rolled through Duluth without stopping and headed into Wisconsin. Wisconsin is supposed to be famous for its cheeses. I can honestly say the only cows I saw in the entire state were outside a jerky factory. What Wisconsin should be famous for is corn. I have never seen that much corn in my life. And dropped in the middle of the fields was invariably a house, a barn, and some trees. There were literally 1000s of them. We would come around a corner and someone would say with excitement, "Look, there's a house, a barn, and some trees."

We stayed off the interstates for most of this leg. It was straight two lane roads through the corn. On occasion, the the Wisconsin would throw in a couple of back to back 90* turns to wake up the driver, but mostly it was miles and miles of corn with the usual, house, barn and trees.

Later that afternoon we rolled into a campground in the Chequamegon National Forest. It was another one of those peaceful places we found a few of during this trip.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/16 9:00 p.m.

This will probably be the last installment.

We loaded up the next morning and continued to make our way south, through the cornfields of America. We passed through Illinois, touched the tip of Indiana and on into Kentucky. Not much to be seen passing through there, other than corn and windmills. Quite a few windmills.

A fair amount of this was interstate, but as we passed into Kentucky, we had a destination that would get us off the slab. Marked on the National Geographic Atlas of North America was a Museum that looked to be interesting. It was well off the beaten path in the little town of Marion, Ky, the Ben E. Clement Mineral Museum. If you are ever in the area, it's worth the stop. I'm just going to dump some pictures.

Here's a interesting tidbit. Different minerals fluoresce under different frequencies of light. They had a display set up with different lights they could turn on and off. Depending on the light, different minerals would fluoresce. With regular lighting, it just looked like a wall of plain rock. This shot is with all the different florescent lights on.

That night we stayed with my sister in law and her husband. Good people, no pictures.

The following morning, we were back on the road continuing south. We were headed to a little campground near Waynesville, NC. If you are ever camping near Waynesville, NC, try Moonshine Creek Campground. It is a great little campground. Quiet, cool, peaceful. Having a creek that passes within 5 feet of your camper makes for some wonderful sleeping. It's a great place run by some really nice people.

That's pretty much the end of it. The last day we hit the interstate and rolled on home.

14 days, right at 3800 miles. Lots of memories and lots of fun with the family.

Until the next time, get out there and go see something.

YA
YA New Reader
9/20/16 11:29 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote:

I was there in winter in the early 90's and entered the door on the left of this picture. The fire was roaring in the fireplace. The door didn't latch properly and the wind blew it open. When it did the gentleman in period dress proclaimed loudly "Surely you don't expect me to provide enough wood to heat all of the outdoors."

YA
YA New Reader
9/20/16 12:05 p.m.

Also, Thanks for the trip report.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AgOn7o7sPkpPeETjiHKMkrXu5hOcEtYTYGmuAebVm9j2HURnUU5hyqk7ESDy1wGb