RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
6/23/10 8:00 p.m.

Sorry if this is a repost, but I figured this deserves some attention here.

You've probably seen the car blog-o-sphere talking about the death of Hiromu Naruse, Toyota's top test driver. He was test driving the Lexus LF-A Nurburgring Edition just outside the 'Ring when he collided with a BMW. The full story is here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/23/breaking-toyota-chief-test-driver-dies-lf-a-germany-ring/

Turns out the guy was behind some of Toyota's greatest cars, many of them GRM favorites:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/23/seat-time-with-hiromu-naruse/

TFA said: In addition to the racecars and the iconic 2000GT, Naruse-san had a hand in every revolutionary product to come out of Toyota. You name it, he was working on it. The 1965 Sports 800. His. The 1600GT. Another one. Every iteration of the Celica. The AE86. The first and third generation MR2s. The Supra. The Altezza [1st gen. Lexus IS]. And yes, even the second-generation Prius.

RIP, Naruse-san.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/24/10 12:33 a.m.

Wow.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/24/10 1:24 a.m.

Oversized floormat?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/24/10 7:10 a.m.

I will bet they find he died BEFORE the accident, while the impact looks bad it dos not look "deadly" compared to accidents Wally has been in.

It would explain a lot as well.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/24/10 7:52 a.m.

Seems a bit elderly to be testing something so wicked fast. I am sure he was a master behind the wheel, but human reflexes generally slow with age. Regardless, sad story.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/24/10 11:00 a.m.

his reactions were probably better than most people's.

Rest in piece

Duke
Duke SuperDork
6/24/10 12:18 p.m.
John Brown wrote: I will bet they find he died BEFORE the accident, while the impact looks bad it dos not look "deadly" compared to accidents Wally has been in. It would explain a lot as well.

I've heard he crossed the center line and nailed the BMW head on. I suspect you're probably right.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
6/24/10 12:54 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: Rest in piece

Yikes.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/24/10 1:16 p.m.

He is too ocupied with his job prospects to worry about a little spelling.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/24/10 7:03 p.m.

oops... as if my spelling was not suspect enough. Often times my brain works so much faster than my fingers (and I am a fast typer) that whole words go missing.

I do mean, "rest in peace"

Some things you do not joke about

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/24/10 9:40 p.m.

Next time be a little more sensitive please

procainestart
procainestart Dork
6/28/10 12:38 p.m.

BMW says their car not speeding:

Cliffs Notes: Our car not speeding, our drivers not wearing helmets, as earlier reported, and our drivers have been released from the hospital.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/28/bmw-says-its-driver-in-lexus-lfa-crash-was-not-speeding/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yeKbdO63t6gUZiDQ1ErJy1dDMMge3pP2q7ujPPI1dTb8mJchQw9ucVIkyRyqBj6k