elatrosbear
elatrosbear
3/13/12 12:09 p.m.

Please help?? I am traveling to Mexico and want to know if boost mobile cell phones (or walkie talkie feature) will get coverage over there??? prepaid phone cards

failboat
failboat Dork
3/13/12 12:13 p.m.

are you traveling by canoe?

jrw1621
jrw1621 UberDork
3/13/12 12:34 p.m.
elatrosbear wrote: Please help?? I am traveling to Mexico and want to know if boost mobile cell phones (or walkie talkie feature) will get coverage over there???

Short answer: No, your phone will not work in Mexico.

Long Answer: Will sort of work if you have a push-to-talk (IDEN) handset. That is, while you are standing in a few well populated area, you can place cell calls and walkie talkie calls to other people who have Nextel of Mexico phones(NII: Nextel International Inc.)

While standing in Mexico:
Boost to Boost call never works.
Boost to landline call never works
Landline to Boost never works.

Boost to NII works in a few places
NII to Boost works in a few places.
Those few places are shown in red on this map.
http://www.boostmobile.com/coverage/pdf/camx.pdf

Never works at all if you have a Boost handset that does not have push-to-talk (like and Android.)

If this is a canoe, I suspect this is far more of an answer than you expected.

cwh
cwh UberDork
3/13/12 3:24 p.m.

I doubt that he has any idea what a canoe is. And, why is he asking this question on a car forum, where many of us are still using two tin cans and string, Because we're cheap.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/13/12 3:38 p.m.

Two used tin cans, please. We're not that fancy.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
3/13/12 5:16 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
elatrosbear wrote: Please help?? I am traveling to Mexico and want to know if boost mobile cell phones (or walkie talkie feature) will get coverage over there???
Short answer: No, your phone will not work in Mexico. Long Answer: Will sort of work if you have a push-to-talk (IDEN) handset. That is, while you are standing in a few well populated area, you can place cell calls and walkie talkie calls to other people who have Nextel of Mexico phones(NII: Nextel International Inc.) While standing in Mexico: Boost to Boost call never works. Boost to landline call never works Landline to Boost never works. Boost to NII works in a few places NII to Boost works in a few places. Those few places are shown in red on this map. http://www.boostmobile.com/coverage/pdf/camx.pdf Never works at all if you have a Boost handset that does not have push-to-talk (like and Android.) If this is a canoe, I suspect this is far more of an answer than you expected.

You are correct sir. I did not expect this answer in the slightest. How do you know that about Boost mobile in Mexico?

jrw1621
jrw1621 UberDork
3/13/12 5:47 p.m.

I am no longer but was an employee for 7 years. First employee in Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky which I was responsible for.

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
3/13/12 5:52 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Two *used* tin cans, please. We're not that fancy.

But somehow engineered to be able to make international calls.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/12 6:06 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
BoxheadTim wrote: Two *used* tin cans, please. We're not that fancy.
But somehow engineered to be able to make international calls.

would that need to be a tin from UK and one from the US to call across the atlantic?

cwh
cwh UberDork
3/13/12 6:20 p.m.

IN MY EXPERIENCE- You are best off buying a disposable phone where you are traveling and a minute card. If you are really after all the features of the most modern phone- not so much.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sZNGnvBS3DF6fwwwXn0psKWJh2ztJsqAXgYEA5w0uHzRffcviZTT3oPF8pUhWXcG