carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
2/21/12 2:11 p.m.

I thought there were laws about requiring truth in advertising.

I just bought 2 of those triangle shaped thingies (one large and one small) for ensuring you get a straight line, a 45 degree line, measuring roof pitch, etc.

Found out they should be named trimangles.

What tool do you have that should be renamed?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/21/12 2:44 p.m.

The definitive list would be this list of tool definitions from Peter Egan
http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Workshop/Definitions.htm

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
2/21/12 3:08 p.m.

No, that doesn't give the tools their REAL names, only definitions of how they should be used.

Hal
Hal Dork
2/21/12 3:32 p.m.

The problem is that you are calling them "triangles". Their real name is "Square". Actually the full name is Speed Square

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/12 4:07 p.m.

or you can just call them Hammers and be done with it

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/12 4:14 p.m.

So what was the problem with the triangles? They were square? They were mangled? I don't get it.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
2/21/12 8:54 p.m.

Bad apex seals?

Hocrest
Hocrest HalfDork
2/21/12 8:57 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: So what was the problem with the triangles? They were square? They were mangled? I don't get it.

Yeah, I'm curious also. I love my speed square. One of my most used tools.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
2/21/12 9:05 p.m.

Well either the trimangles were off or I was. I was installing flooring and the room had a bunch of 45 degree angles. I was much quicker and much more accurate measuring the lengths of each side of the board I wanted to cut than to use the trimangles.

I was always close, but not quite there with the trimangles and right on when I measured.

And how can anything shaped like a triangle be called a square?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/21/12 9:10 p.m.

I was taught to use a framing square by an old world master craftsman. I know how to read all the tables and scales on the tangs of a framing square, do all the math at any pitch, and can cut an ENTIRE complex roof without leaving the bench without ever getting a measurement from above. Hips, valleys, jack rafters, gable studs, everything.

I'm amazed at how few people ever learn to use the tools properly.

There is nothing I can do with a speed square that I am not able to do with a framing square, and there is quite a bit I can do with a framing square that can not be done with a speed square.

Out of protest, I do not own a speed square. I know, it's dumb.

failboat
failboat Dork
2/21/12 9:11 p.m.

So you are assuming all your walls were built at the proper angle. That's your problem.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
2/21/12 9:17 p.m.

It is called a square due to the ninety degree angle.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/21/12 9:20 p.m.
mistanfo wrote: It is called a square due to the ninety degree angle.

Yeah, if you have to explain it...

Hocrest
Hocrest HalfDork
2/21/12 9:25 p.m.
SVreX wrote: There is nothing I can do with a speed square that I am not able to do with a framing square,

How deep are your pockets? I carry my speedsquare in my back pocket when I'm working around the house...

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/21/12 9:37 p.m.
Hocrest wrote:
SVreX wrote: There is nothing I can do with a speed square that I am not able to do with a framing square,
How deep are your pockets? I carry my speedsquare in my back pocket when I'm working around the house...

The short tang threads into the belt loop of my nail pouch, and the long tang hangs alongside my leg. I know it sounds awkward, but I can climb through a building frame with it in my "pocket".

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
2/21/12 10:35 p.m.
SVreX wrote: I was taught to use a framing square by an old world master craftsman. I know how to read all the tables and scales on the tangs of a framing square, do all the math at any pitch, and can cut an ENTIRE complex roof without leaving the bench without ever getting a measurement from above. Hips, valleys, jack rafters, gable studs, everything.

There are few that can do all this. You 'da man.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
2/21/12 11:08 p.m.

There must be some app for your smartphone so you can do without a square...

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
2/22/12 12:35 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: And how can anything shaped like a triangle be called a square?

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
2/22/12 1:08 a.m.
failboat wrote: So you are assuming all your walls were built at the proper angle. That's your problem.

this.. there is usually no such thing as a truly square corner in a house.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c2C4bmzYq0V9aIiNcTxqBQZxZR3SaI2Lf0ovk5euT7CATQCI2IjflqArMMHCU4vT