foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
9/25/08 6:38 p.m.

For the heck of it, I've been trying to install Ubuntu on my computer. Burned the CD, checked the numbers, everything's a go.

It starts, checks itself, logs onto the web, and then tells me it's going to take 120+ hours to download files, and it means it, you should watch the massive download crawl along. Clearly something is wrong. Darned if I know what. Ubuntu's forums and web page are no help, at least not that I can tell.

Any of you folks know what's going wrong on my installation?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/25/08 6:55 p.m.

The only thing that might be wrong is you have a dial up connection, or you're using an ancient install disc. It's v8.04 i386 desktop right?

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/25/08 7:09 p.m.

How about this...

Get VMWare player.

Download an Ubuntu vm appliance. Here is one that is ver 8.04

Then run Ubuntu via VMPlayer.

All the fun and none of the mess!

therex
therex SuperDork
9/25/08 7:58 p.m.

I use Ubuntu as a desktop (posting from Hearty Heron right now!) and that sounds about right.

See, the way it works is that the install CD sets up a basic installation, and then downloads the rest to install. Unless, of course, you burned all 8 cd's or the DVD and installed from there.

mpsii
mpsii New Reader
9/25/08 8:35 p.m.

^^^ What? Ubuntu ISOs are complete Ubuntu-Desktop installations. The only downloaded packages would be from updates and security patch. Then you would simple add software.

I suggest getting one of the FREE DVDs or get a friend to download the ISO, burn the DVD and send it to you.

Hit me up, if you want. I have a spare DVD blank and DSL.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
9/26/08 5:11 a.m.

Oh I burned that 700+ meg cd for installing the desktop edition of 8.04, Hearty Heron. Upon attempting to install, after it checks the numbers and extracts the files it connects to the internet via my DSL, and starts a massive download. It downloads from some unknown site at a very slow rate (~3k/s), and tells me it's going to take at least 120+ hours to finish the job.

There are a few cues to this ickyness about Ubuntu on their web site. But they are elusive and obtuse. Things like "Install requires at least 4 GB of disk space", and "buy the DVD edition if you cannot download the large CD images. Man, even Microsoft gets Windows on one CD.

Therex, is there a secret site to burn those 8 CD's from? At work I've got a fast T1 line that I could do the job from. My DSL at home is nowhere near as fast (living in the sticks, at the fringe of DSL connections).

therex
therex SuperDork
9/26/08 7:41 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Oh I burned that 700+ meg cd for installing the desktop edition of 8.04, Hearty Heron. Upon attempting to install, after it checks the numbers and extracts the files it connects to the internet via my DSL, and starts a massive download. It downloads from some unknown site at a *very* slow rate (~3k/s), and tells me it's going to take at least 120+ hours to finish the job.

Actually, MPSII is correct, the last distro I used was CentOS which has either a 6 disc download or a LiveCD that downloads the rest of the packages. Ubuntu is just downloading updates or packages. Got my distro installation procedures mixed up.

GameboyRMH
9/26/08 8:00 a.m.

Something's definitely not right...I did a Hardy Heron install just a couple of days ago, it took less than 3 hours of downloading to get all the updates...and it shouldn't download anything automatically when it's finished installing.

Oh found the problem: You used the alternate install CD, which is basically a minimal install that then downloads everything.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
9/26/08 8:16 a.m.

I installed it in about 30min, and the updates after a working install only take about 45min.

You chose to install EVERYTHING didn't you?

GameboyRMH
9/26/08 8:29 a.m.

Yep all the updates...and my internet connection was pretty slow that day.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
9/26/08 12:21 p.m.

Am I missing something when it comes to the install?

1. Go to this web page; http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

2. Select the desktop edition,standard personal computer.

3. Download the 700m download for burning onto an install CD.

4. Burn the CD.

5. Install the CD in the computer and start the Ubuntu install.

At which point it checks codes, verifies everthing is ok, and then starts the download from hell where it attempts to download some massive multi-gig file from some unspecified location at a terribly slow rate.

I see where I can buy a DVD off amazon, but it's unavailable.

Is there a special secret way to do the install that's different? I don't see one, but I'd sure be interested if there is.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
9/26/08 12:33 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Yep all the updates...and my internet connection was pretty slow that day.

No... when I say everything... you went to the custom stuff and chose to install every potential package and source code available. That would take forever.

You might just have got a bad connection - IIRC you can change the mirror to something with less hops to your house than somewhere in central europe.

GameboyRMH
9/26/08 1:57 p.m.

Well the 3 hours did include the connection totally stalling a couple of times, which caused me to have to install what had been downloaded so far and start downloading again, so it probably took much longer than usual on top of the slow connection. I hadn't started installing any apps or anything at that point.

After doing some research I've found that the alternate CD shouldn't automatically download anything either...When this happens, do you see an update manager like this?

This is a really perplexing problem. It really shouldn't be downloading anything automatically

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
9/26/08 7:32 p.m.

NERDS!!!

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
9/26/08 8:01 p.m.

I took 5 days of Linux classes two weeks ago on the company's dime, I was going to act all big and smart and help you out...

..and it's a question I can't help you with! The classes were run by Red Hat. A lot of the stuff in Red Hat Linux is applicable to other distros (like Ubuntu), but not installation.

Have you tried asking around Ubuntu-related message boards? Linux is famous for homebrew support and solutions. It's like the GRM of operating systems!

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
9/26/08 8:44 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: NERDS!!!

No the proper term is "geeks"

EricM
EricM Reader
9/26/08 9:02 p.m.
ArtOfRuin wrote: I took 5 days of Linux classes two weeks ago on the company's dime, I was going to act all big and smart and help you out... ..and it's a question I can't help you with! The classes were run by Red Hat. A lot of the stuff in Red Hat Linux is applicable to other distros (like Ubuntu), but not installation. Have you tried asking around Ubuntu-related message boards? Linux is famous for homebrew support and solutions. It's like the GRM of operating systems!

Hey! I am a red Hat Certified Engineer. And a CISSP too.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
9/26/08 9:53 p.m.
EricM wrote:
ArtOfRuin wrote: I took 5 days of Linux classes two weeks ago on the company's dime, I was going to act all big and smart and help you out... ..and it's a question I can't help you with! The classes were run by Red Hat. A lot of the stuff in Red Hat Linux is applicable to other distros (like Ubuntu), but not installation. Have you tried asking around Ubuntu-related message boards? Linux is famous for homebrew support and solutions. It's like the GRM of operating systems!
Hey! I am a red Hat Certified Engineer. And a CISSP too.

It was 033, Red Hat/Linux basics. I had to take it because we are taking on Linux servers in addition to our usual Microsoft compliment. My company may send me out for the next class in the future. I was interested in Linux anyways, so it works out nicely for me. I haven't had a chance to install the free Red Hat I got onto my PC, though.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
9/28/08 12:31 p.m.

I've done the install numerous times and it usually takes about 4 hours or so depending on what I am installing. If you downloaded the full ISO you can get a fully functional version right away, but it will only be 8.04 last I looked. To get the .1 you will need some more updates. You may want to wait a bit though as a new version is due out shortly (8.10) based on historical release dates.
Personally I have ordered the CD from shipit and just waited the weeks it takes to come in, https://shipit.ubuntu.com/login

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe New Reader
9/28/08 7:27 p.m.

Using linux huh? Almost feel like I should point you to google, and let you find it yourself... Not to be mean, just to get you some more practice spending hours searching for how to make things finally work right (one of the major themes of the OS imo, unless you know how to program yourself :P )

Really though, research other network card drivers... And search for how to add additional update sources... I was having a hell of a time trying to find certain software until I saw a tip on how to add additional software servers somewhere in the admin pannel.

I always got MUCH better update speeds then what your saying, so I would be willing to bet its not using your network card right/to its full potential. There is likely other options for network drivers, try some of those and see if you cant get a better connection.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
10/2/08 7:30 p.m.

Wohoo! Success at last!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
00nf4MWojUTSt2HJrq3PVUGg3E6uYJvQes0DW2SUzNY9OlSGaqrTYCc1cMLWeqmT