Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
8/8/18 9:48 a.m.

Maybe

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
8/8/18 12:18 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

I would buy that from you for nostalgia purposes only...

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
8/8/18 12:19 p.m.
wae said:

My sister, wife, and daughters play.  Mark your calendar for August 1-4 of next year and come to GenCon in Indianapolis.  Lots of D&D as well as other gaming.

I have a few friends that went this year.  Someone tried to talk me into it a few years ago, when he tried to get me hooked on Warhammer 40K (talk about a money suck!).  I'm probably going at least one day next year, see some D&D stuff.  Perhaps while on duty from the Empire.

wae
wae SuperDork
8/8/18 12:24 p.m.
Jerry said:
wae said:

My sister, wife, and daughters play.  Mark your calendar for August 1-4 of next year and come to GenCon in Indianapolis.  Lots of D&D as well as other gaming.

I have a few friends that went this year.  Someone tried to talk me into it a few years ago, when he tried to get me hooked on Warhammer 40K (talk about a money suck!).  I'm probably going at least one day next year, see some D&D stuff.  Perhaps while on duty from the Empire.

If you'd rather turn to the Schwartz, I'm pretty sure we're doing Dark Helmet again at least one day next year:

(that's the guy who created the Pugmire RPG)

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/8/18 2:28 p.m.
wae said:

I really want to make it to GenCon. I am going to DragonCon in about a month which apparently has a decent amount of D&D stuff.

wae
wae SuperDork
8/8/18 3:48 p.m.
93EXCivic said:
wae said:

I really want to make it to GenCon. I am going to DragonCon in about a month which apparently has a decent amount of D&D stuff.

My understanding is that DragonCon's focus is cosplay, but they've got some gaming stuff too, of course.  My wife goes every year (she'll have Dark Helmet, Blake if I can get the Gambol Shroud remade in time, and maybe Jynx or Edwina Scissorhands again this year) and apparently the panels are pretty amazing.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/8/18 7:48 p.m.

Yes, I played, over multiple editions. I love role playing games, and find that they get better the older I get, as the plot-lines got wayyyy deeper.  I'm currently playing a different RPG, but would love to run some fast DnD games, and thought about putting together a few small adventures for my family. 

Dragon*Con has everything. I've been a bit, and loved every time. Cosplay is a huge element, but they've had good bands, great authors, interesting panels, movie nights and so on. A bit of something for everybody who likes sci-fi, fantasy, horror and the like.

Back to DnD- there are tons of web series like Critical Role and Acquisitions Incorporated around it. If you had told me back in 1980 that that was going to be a thing, I'd have laughed at you.

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
8/8/18 9:02 p.m.

I run a local group called D & D & Dads.  We use Facebook to organize.  I'm currently running Storm King's Thunder, and another member is starting up a Blades in the Dark campaign.

It's a good way to get out of the house and spend time with grown ups; because living with two toddlers will gradually melt your brain ...   The Caillou Theme Song again!!!!

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
8/8/18 9:55 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Haha I remember you talking about attempting that helmet.  Dude, I should be getting you to help me with my stormtrooper bits.  Pretty soon I need to start adding velcro and straps and snaps and all kinds of stuff. But that's another geek thread.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
8/9/18 8:12 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Goblins is far and away my favorite D&D based web comic. I used to really like the puzzles he would make for the Tempt's Fate when he was fund raising only though word of mouth on his site. Even with Patron these days it's still top quality.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
8/9/18 8:26 a.m.

Anyone interested in doing a session through a video chat send me a message. I have at least one person from my regular group that would fill in if we needed another PC.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/9/18 8:46 a.m.

When can young kids start playing? I've never done D&D but I think this would be fun for the family.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/9/18 8:51 a.m.

It depends on their attention span and tolerance for board games in general.

I wouldn't hesitate to introduce it to kids as young as 10.  The big issue is finding someone with some dungeon master (DM) experience to lead you through the gameplay process.  It's a big fat book full of rules and statistics and lists... but it can be played pretty simply if you wish.  From the player's side, it's more about the role playing and decision making, with dice rolls handling the success / failure statistics of each decision.  The DM is the one that needs to manage the actual gameplay.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
8/9/18 12:06 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

I suggest "No thank you, evil" from Monty cook games. It is a kid friendly table top game that should allow you to step into it pretty easy. Looks like $32 on Amazon.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
8/11/18 11:36 a.m.

Anyone running their own campaign got some tips for a relatively inexperienced DM to help keep things from becoming a sandbox or a boring series of random encounters that don't mean anything? This campaign is still very early on and I have some ideas to cover at least the next few sessions, but more ideas are always welcome.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/11/18 2:55 p.m.

Anyone posting in the thread will enjoy this book:  NPCs by Drew Hayes.  I think the series is up to 4 books now, I have read the first two and really enjoyed them.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
8/12/18 7:59 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

I recommend looking at some YouTube videos on campaign development. If you are doing a Homebrew campaign, develop an outline of all the major events that you want to occur long term. Then, go through and add detail to each as you neat those milestones.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/12/18 12:33 p.m.

Played from from junior high well into my 30's on a regular basis. Not just D&D, but also Champions, Star wars, etc.

My dice and and many old characters are on the shelf ready to go.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UGLhU9qHuYUg6aOMUACDWDzHQBSLQiroo7oILzVqvcrICS1E2dVl2s3UsHyHZPBv