zachbibb2012 New Reader
May 2, 2010 7:14 p.m.

Deciding what car to buy this summer, I love Miatas but i don't know if owning one would be worth not ever being able to take more than one friend around. I also love mini coopers and i think i might be willing to sacrifice a bit of understeer for friends.

I want a great handling car and a 0-60 in the 6-8 second range. Post other suggestions but i want something under 10 grand with under 75000 miles.

EvanB HalfDork
May 2, 2010 7:19 p.m.

If you want to go somewhere with more than one friend just make them drive. Thats what I did with my Miata, saves on gas.

MrJoshua SuperDork
May 2, 2010 7:31 p.m.

SVT focus, E30, E36, E46, RX8, etc...

Tommy Suddard SonDork
May 2, 2010 7:52 p.m.

E30, 2 Miatas, E36, Minivan.

93celicaGT2 SuperDork
May 2, 2010 8:05 p.m.

Miata, MR-S, 7th gen Celica GTS 6spd, E36, make your own...

mtn SuperDork
May 2, 2010 8:24 p.m.

Why do you want to take friends along? Make them drive if they can't fit. I don't want friends in my car if I can help it.

speedblind Reader
May 2, 2010 9:28 p.m.

MINI won't be much better than a Miata for taking friends around.

I second the E36. Good cars. Do it.

maroon92 SuperDork
May 2, 2010 9:28 p.m.

I drove several two seaters in the past, the Aspire is currently a two seater, and the Supra would be too painful to have friends in the back. Plus, I don't ever have more than one friend at a time anyway.

Tell them if they want to be where you are going, that they should find a way to get there.

motomoron Reader
May 2, 2010 9:57 p.m.

e36 M3, and possibly an e46 330ci - aka the poor man's M3.

A lot of car for the money, and in a year you can put another $10k in and have a freakin' rock solid track spaceship hooptie.

autoxrs Reader
May 2, 2010 10:06 p.m.
  1. First gen Odyssey
  2. H22A from a Prelude
  3. Suspension from Koni, nice big fat rear bar
  4. Um profit?
Appleseed SuperDork
May 3, 2010 1:07 a.m.
zachbibb2012 wrote: Deciding what car to buy this summer, I love Miatas but i don't know if owning one would be worth not ever being able to take more than one friend around. I also love mini coopers and i think i might be willing to sacrifice a bit of understeer for friends. I want a great handling car and a 0-60 in the 6-8 second range. Post other suggestions but i want something under 10 grand with under 75000 miles.

I own a Caprice, ex-squad car. Maybe 15 times a year, I have someone else in the car. 5 times, tops, all 5 seats are filled. Buy the car for you, not your friends. You don't need a berkelying taxi. (I am exempt from irony in this statement.)

Jay Dork
May 3, 2010 3:43 a.m.

He he he, one time I went for Chinese with three other adult men in my 944S. When we got to the restaraunt one of the guys in the back made us swear to take his car next time. It was only a 5-minute trip too.

Capt Slow HalfDork
May 3, 2010 1:16 p.m.

Come on guys this should be easy. Isn't the #2 car in the GRM trifecta a e30 BMW?

mtn SuperDork
May 3, 2010 1:20 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote: Come on guys this should be easy. Isn't the #2 car in the GRM trifecta a e30 BMW?

First two posts that recommended anything had that.

96DXCivic Dork
May 3, 2010 1:22 p.m.

Hey no one has mentioned a P71.

16vCorey SuperDork
May 3, 2010 1:39 p.m.
Jay wrote: He he he, one time I went for Chinese with three other adult men in my 944S. When we got to the restaraunt one of the guys in the back made us swear to take his car next time. It was only a 5-minute trip too.

Haha! A 6'1", 280lb friend of mine once rode in the back seat of my 944 for an hour trip. He kinda sat in there sideways, and very uncomfortably. It wasn't too bad until it started raining and I had to close the sunroof.

Keith SuperDork
May 3, 2010 1:40 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: Hey no one has mentioned a P71.

I think "Caprice, ex-squad car" probably suits.

I only ever have one friend.

jrw1621 Dork
May 3, 2010 1:48 p.m.

From you avitar and friends requirement I figure that you may be young.
If you are young, my best advice is to call your insurance agent before you buy anything. With just a simple phone call to his/her office you can ask the question, "If I bought XYZ how much would it cost me to insure it?" You will likely get an answer while you wait on the phone or a call back the same day.
This info is important because the price can vary widely and you do not want to find out that your rates are ultra high after purchasing the wrong car.

scardeal Reader
May 3, 2010 1:56 p.m.

Friends don't let friends understeer.

96DXCivic Dork
May 3, 2010 3:50 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: From you avitar and friends requirement I figure that you may be young. If you are young, my best advice is to call your insurance agent before you buy anything. With just a simple phone call to his/her office you can ask the question, "If I bought XYZ how much would it cost me to insure it?" You will likely get an answer while you wait on the phone or a call back the same day. This info is important because the price can vary widely and you do not want to find out that your rates are ultra high after purchasing the wrong car.

And you will get some quotes that make no sense like a Volvo turbo station wagon, a BMW E30, a Honda Civic (any body style) or an Alfa Romeo Spider is more expensive for me to insure then a Buick Grand National. How in the world does this make sense?

pilotbraden New Reader
May 3, 2010 3:54 p.m.

I regularly carry 4 6'0" adults in my Rx8. Not great visibility in the back but suprisingly comfortable. It also is one of the best driving cars that I have driven

4eyes Reader
May 5, 2010 2:13 a.m.

Friends in the car inspire you to do "stupid E36 M3"(tm) More friends=more stupidity. Two seats is all anyone who doesn't have a baby or sell real estate ever really needs.

GameboyRMH SuperDork
May 5, 2010 8:00 a.m.

When I read the thread title I was expecting a video of a horrible accident

mad_machine SuperDork
May 5, 2010 10:12 a.m.

I think I once had three people in my Ti...

as it is now, I pulled the backseat and my current g/f refuses to ride in the car at all unless she is wearing a sportbra... so we usually take her car anywhere

lewbud
lewbud Reader
May 5, 2010 11:09 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine: Pic of girlfriend? Was going to suggest Mustang Fox Body, but if it's anything like my 03, the backseat is useless you're going on a really short trip, you really dislike the person. If you really dislike the person (and you're tall) make them sit behind the driver with the seat all the way back. I can take knees in the back longer than they can sit.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

MX-5 Cup Racing: Live on Your Screen This Friday and Saturday

1 day ago in News

Catch all the action of the Global MX-5 Cup race at Road America live this weekend.

How to Run Compressed Air at Home

1 day ago in Articles

A guide for installing an air compressor and air tools in your home garage.

2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI 4Motion

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

Say hello to the Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI S with 4Motion. It comes with a turbocharged 1.8-liter engine that is ...

You Need This: $1600 Street Racer Ford Festiva

2 days ago in News

It already has a GRM sticker and everything.

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

2 days ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

Your Projects: smokindav’s VW GTI Project

2 days ago in News

Love a good MK5 GTI? You might enjoy this build thread.

Wing It: Simple Talk on the Complex Subject of Aerodynamics

2 days ago in Articles

Whether sleek, boxy or somewhere in between, all cars interact with the air while racing down the track.

2018 Acura TLX V6 A-Spec

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

Acura is introducing something new for the 2018 model year: the Acura TLX V6 A-Spec. It's the highest trim level ...

You Need This: 1989 Suzuki Swift GTi

3 days ago in News

For sale: one of Suzuki's under-appreciated hot hatches.

Buyer's Guide: Chevy Cobalt SS

3 days ago in Articles

All the information you'll need on GM’s entry in the sport compact wars.

Wednesday Night GRM Live: Are You Using the Right Chemicals for the Job?

3 days ago in News

What do all these cans even do!?!?

Project SVT Focus Gets Caught Up on Maintenance

3 days ago in Project Cars

Once again, some off-road action sent our project focus under the knife.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
RuMUHz18Xrdr6dXRKwI6Jo2iqHrdRMP3