1 2
zachbibb2012
zachbibb2012 New Reader
5/2/10 7:14 p.m.

Deciding what car to buy this summer, I love Miatas but i don't know if owning one would be worth not ever being able to take more than one friend around. I also love mini coopers and i think i might be willing to sacrifice a bit of understeer for friends.

I want a great handling car and a 0-60 in the 6-8 second range. Post other suggestions but i want something under 10 grand with under 75000 miles.

EvanB
EvanB HalfDork
5/2/10 7:19 p.m.

If you want to go somewhere with more than one friend just make them drive. Thats what I did with my Miata, saves on gas.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
5/2/10 7:31 p.m.

SVT focus, E30, E36, E46, RX8, etc...

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
5/2/10 7:52 p.m.

E30, 2 Miatas, E36, Minivan.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
5/2/10 8:05 p.m.

Miata, MR-S, 7th gen Celica GTS 6spd, E36, make your own...

mtn
mtn SuperDork
5/2/10 8:24 p.m.

Why do you want to take friends along? Make them drive if they can't fit. I don't want friends in my car if I can help it.

speedblind
speedblind Reader
5/2/10 9:28 p.m.

MINI won't be much better than a Miata for taking friends around.

I second the E36. Good cars. Do it.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/2/10 9:28 p.m.

I drove several two seaters in the past, the Aspire is currently a two seater, and the Supra would be too painful to have friends in the back. Plus, I don't ever have more than one friend at a time anyway.

Tell them if they want to be where you are going, that they should find a way to get there.

motomoron
motomoron Reader
5/2/10 9:57 p.m.

e36 M3, and possibly an e46 330ci - aka the poor man's M3.

A lot of car for the money, and in a year you can put another $10k in and have a freakin' rock solid track spaceship hooptie.

autoxrs
autoxrs Reader
5/2/10 10:06 p.m.
  1. First gen Odyssey
  2. H22A from a Prelude
  3. Suspension from Koni, nice big fat rear bar
  4. Um profit?
Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
5/3/10 1:07 a.m.
zachbibb2012 wrote: Deciding what car to buy this summer, I love Miatas but i don't know if owning one would be worth not ever being able to take more than one friend around. I also love mini coopers and i think i might be willing to sacrifice a bit of understeer for friends. I want a great handling car and a 0-60 in the 6-8 second range. Post other suggestions but i want something under 10 grand with under 75000 miles.

I own a Caprice, ex-squad car. Maybe 15 times a year, I have someone else in the car. 5 times, tops, all 5 seats are filled. Buy the car for you, not your friends. You don't need a berkelying taxi. (I am exempt from irony in this statement.)

Jay
Jay Dork
5/3/10 3:43 a.m.

He he he, one time I went for Chinese with three other adult men in my 944S. When we got to the restaraunt one of the guys in the back made us swear to take his car next time. It was only a 5-minute trip too.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
5/3/10 1:16 p.m.

Come on guys this should be easy. Isn't the #2 car in the GRM trifecta a e30 BMW?

mtn
mtn SuperDork
5/3/10 1:20 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote: Come on guys this should be easy. Isn't the #2 car in the GRM trifecta a e30 BMW?

First two posts that recommended anything had that.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
5/3/10 1:22 p.m.

Hey no one has mentioned a P71.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
5/3/10 1:39 p.m.
Jay wrote: He he he, one time I went for Chinese with three other adult men in my 944S. When we got to the restaraunt one of the guys in the back made us swear to take his car next time. It was only a 5-minute trip too.

Haha! A 6'1", 280lb friend of mine once rode in the back seat of my 944 for an hour trip. He kinda sat in there sideways, and very uncomfortably. It wasn't too bad until it started raining and I had to close the sunroof.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
5/3/10 1:40 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: Hey no one has mentioned a P71.

I think "Caprice, ex-squad car" probably suits.

I only ever have one friend.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
5/3/10 1:48 p.m.

From you avitar and friends requirement I figure that you may be young.
If you are young, my best advice is to call your insurance agent before you buy anything. With just a simple phone call to his/her office you can ask the question, "If I bought XYZ how much would it cost me to insure it?" You will likely get an answer while you wait on the phone or a call back the same day.
This info is important because the price can vary widely and you do not want to find out that your rates are ultra high after purchasing the wrong car.

scardeal
scardeal Reader
5/3/10 1:56 p.m.

Friends don't let friends understeer.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
5/3/10 3:50 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: From you avitar and friends requirement I figure that you may be young. If you are young, my best advice is to call your insurance agent before you buy anything. With just a simple phone call to his/her office you can ask the question, "If I bought XYZ how much would it cost me to insure it?" You will likely get an answer while you wait on the phone or a call back the same day. This info is important because the price can vary widely and you do not want to find out that your rates are ultra high after purchasing the wrong car.

And you will get some quotes that make no sense like a Volvo turbo station wagon, a BMW E30, a Honda Civic (any body style) or an Alfa Romeo Spider is more expensive for me to insure then a Buick Grand National. How in the world does this make sense?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden New Reader
5/3/10 3:54 p.m.

I regularly carry 4 6'0" adults in my Rx8. Not great visibility in the back but suprisingly comfortable. It also is one of the best driving cars that I have driven

4eyes
4eyes Reader
5/5/10 2:13 a.m.

Friends in the car inspire you to do "stupid E36 M3"(tm) More friends=more stupidity. Two seats is all anyone who doesn't have a baby or sell real estate ever really needs.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
5/5/10 8:00 a.m.

When I read the thread title I was expecting a video of a horrible accident

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
5/5/10 10:12 a.m.

I think I once had three people in my Ti...

as it is now, I pulled the backseat and my current g/f refuses to ride in the car at all unless she is wearing a sportbra... so we usually take her car anywhere

lewbud
lewbud Reader
5/5/10 11:09 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine: Pic of girlfriend? Was going to suggest Mustang Fox Body, but if it's anything like my 03, the backseat is useless you're going on a really short trip, you really dislike the person. If you really dislike the person (and you're tall) make them sit behind the driver with the seat all the way back. I can take knees in the back longer than they can sit.

1 2
BGtiM6RpxaMLVtawggfJjTPQ4zhbTATc